Barley's Tell me no Lies Deck personality profile...THOTH

DDwarks

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=271911

Tone card + 1 card = Inherent nature in Heart, Voice, Challenges or Strength areas.

Heart (Wands).......Deck's vitality and core virtues.
7 Disks/ 4 Disks

I won't call it a vitality deck! The elements and images together make me think the Thoth has the vitality of a cement brick! I find the energy of those 2 cards heavy but secure.
For core virtues, the abyss of the 7 of Disks added to the security of the 4 of Disks make me think that it's core virtue is to go deep. Very deep into the matter at hand.

Voice (Cups).........Deck's fluidity and expressiveness.
4 of Swords/ 2 of Disks

With those 2 cards I'd say the Thoth prides itself in speaking in another language.
I'm struggling to associate the 4 of Swords with fluidity of expression. To me, as a voice it chants "Om Shanti". Adding the 2 of Disks with it's yin/yang, infinity symbol and idea of change, I would say the Thoth doesn't express itself like a friend but like a Master.
You have to attune yourself to it's energy and vibration level to sense and feel what it says.

Challenges (Swords)......The most difficult aspect of the deck.
10 Wands/2 of Swords

The 10 of Wands is heavy going! I'll attribute this to the amount of effort and dedication one needs to understand it.
Coupled with the 2 Swords, the Lord of Peace, I would say that it's most difficult aspect is that you can't rush with the Thoth. It's a lot to take in and one must be aware of that to avoid getting overwhelmed and quit (10 Wands).

Strength (Coins).........The deck's coherence and solidity.
Devil/10 of Disks

I guess that's one deck who knows what's it's talking about!
The Devil knows what he's doing and what he's dealing with. He knows our weaknesses and strengths and what to about them.
I think this says that the Thoth recognises us as flawed (Devil) but still enjoys the richness of our human conditions (10 Disks).
The expression Warts and All springs to mind!

.............................................................................................................................

Personality profile

4 of Disks. 2 of Disks. 2 of Swords. 10 of Disks

It's profile is dominated by minor cards so there's no big drama going on with the Thoth.
The cards are mostly Earthy except for one air card.
I don't know much yet about planetary attribution or astrology but my general feeling looking at the line up is that of the Thoth as a Hermit and Hierophant type of personality (?).

It's personality is seeking stability and security through solid inner structures (4 Disks) to bring about transformation (2 Disks). However the Thoth is aware of our unstable and unbalanced nature (2 Disks/2 Swords) and therefore of our struggles with life successes and prosperity (10 Disks)

Barleywine

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=271911

Tone card + 1 card = Inherent nature in Heart, Voice, Challenges or Strength areas.

Heart (Wands).......Deck's vitality and core virtues.
7 Disks/ 4 Disks

I won't call it a vitality deck! The elements and images together make me think the Thoth has the vitality of a cement brick! I find the energy of those 2 cards heavy but secure.
For core virtues, the abyss of the 7 of Disks added to the security of the 4 of Disks make me think that it's core virtue is to go deep. Very deep into the matter at hand.

Voice (Cups).........Deck's fluidity and expressiveness.
4 of Swords/ 2 of Disks

With those 2 cards I'd say the Thoth prides itself in speaking in another language.
I'm struggling to associate the 4 of Swords with fluidity of expression. To me, as a voice it chants "Om Shanti". Adding the 2 of Disks with it's yin/yang, infinity symbol and idea of change, I would say the Thoth doesn't express itself like a friend but like a Master.
You have to attune yourself to it's energy and vibration level to sense and feel what it says.

Challenges (Swords)......The most difficult aspect of the deck.
10 Wands/2 of Swords

The 10 of Wands is heavy going! I'll attribute this to the amount of effort and dedication one needs to understand it.
Coupled with the 2 Swords, the Lord of Peace, I would say that it's most difficult aspect is that you can't rush with the Thoth. It's a lot to take in and one must be aware of that to avoid getting overwhelmed and quit (10 Wands).

Strength (Coins).........The deck's coherence and solidity.
Devil/10 of Disks

I guess that's one deck who knows what's it's talking about!
The Devil knows what he's doing and what he's dealing with. He knows our weaknesses and strengths and what to about them.
I think this says that the Thoth recognises us as flawed (Devil) but still enjoys the richness of our human conditions (10 Disks).
The expression Warts and All springs to mind!

.............................................................................................................................

Personality profile

4 of Disks. 2 of Disks. 2 of Swords. 10 of Disks

It's profile is dominated by minor cards so there's no big drama going on with the Thoth.
The cards are mostly Earthy except for one air card.
I don't know much yet about planetary attribution or astrology but my general feeling looking at the line up is that of the Thoth as a Hermit and Hierophant type of personality (?).

It's personality is seeking stability and security through solid inner structures (4 Disks) to bring about transformation (2 Disks). However the Thoth is aware of our unstable and unbalanced nature (2 Disks/2 Swords) and therefore of our struggles with life successes and prosperity (10 Disks)

Nice job! I got some of the same cards you did when I ran my Thoth deck through this profile, although in different positions. It looks like you used the top cards off the four packs rather than the elemental suit cards. I used the suit cards for my "tone" positions; the interesting thing was that in the Cups pack there was only a single Cups card, the Prince of Cups, out of roughly 20 cards. I'm not sure the Thoth cares whether or not it's telling me the truth!

Where your layout was dominated by Earth (5 of 8), I only had two: the 2 of Disks in the "tone" position for the "Strengths" pair (Crowley's idea that "Change = Stability"), and the Empress as the "personality" card for the "Voice" pair, suggesting that the deck fairly "sings" to me.

Have you worked with the Thoth long? All of the Earth cards imply that it has yet to fully open up and reveal its inner dynamics; getting through the tough outer "skin" takes dedication and persistence. The 7 of Disks looks like the leaden "bedrock" on which the fortress in the 4 of Disks is built. It may have a "heart of stone" but you definitely know where it stands, and it's not going anywhere soon.

The 4 of Swords strikes me as the calm, crystalline center from which the 2 of Disks makes its practical excursions; there is no emotional distortion to color or deflect its more pragmatic expressions. "Masterful" is good way to describe its handling of the "Change = Stability" equation.

The 10 of Wands/2 of Swords combination reminds me of the Henry Fuseli painting, "The Nightmare," which shows a baleful demon sitting on the chest of a sleeping woman. Crowley called the Wands card "Oppression," which Fuseli perfectly captured. You have a handful of Saturn-and-Capricorn-attuned cards (10 of Wands, 7 of Disks, 4 of Disks, the Devil) that reinforce the idea of a no-nonsense lack of flourishes or frills. Kind of like the old Dragnet line: "Just the facts, ma'am." That 2 of Swords isn't likely to enliven things.

The Devil and 10 of Disks complete the utilitarian picture. I bet you've been getting some very honest, unflinching readings out of the deck!

The "personality profile" is minimalist right down the line, not wasting any energy on embellishment. I find it interesting that you mention the Hermit, because when I did the quint for my Thoth layout I came up with the Hermit, the same quint I got for the Sevenfold Mystery: it's a singular deck that doesn't give up its wisdom easily.

DDwarks

Thank you Barley fir taking the time to look through this. It's very much appreciated!

I'll feedback on properly later on today if that's okay. Busy day ahead :(

DDwarks

Nice job! I got some of the same cards you did when I ran my Thoth deck through this profile, although in different positions. It looks like you used the top cards off the four packs rather than the elemental suit cards. I used the suit cards for my "tone" positions; the interesting thing was that in the Cups pack there was only a single Cups card, the Prince of Cups, out of roughly 20 cards. I'm not sure the Thoth cares whether or not it's telling me the truth!
I went with the other option you mentioned which was to just draw from the top on each piles. I often wondered about the Thoth telling the truth. It seems that a lot of the time, it tells me what I need to know which isn't always the truth!

Where your layout was dominated by Earth (5 of 8), I only had two: the 2 of Disks in the "tone" position for the "Strengths" pair (Crowley's idea that "Change = Stability"), and the Empress as the "personality" card for the "Voice" pair, suggesting that the deck fairly "sings" to me.
The singing again! I could swear it was telling me it was humming yesterday. Very low singing tone almost like those Tibetans throat singers! I'm wondering now if the Thoth adapts/changes/ 2 Disks according to our own personality types, to what is stable to us.

Have you worked with the Thoth long? All of the Earth cards imply that it has yet to fully open up and reveal its inner dynamics; getting through the tough outer "skin" takes dedication and persistence. The 7 of Disks looks like the leaden "bedrock" on which the fortress in the 4 of Disks is built. It may have a "heart of stone" but you definitely know where it stands, and it's not going anywhere soon.
I've picked it up about 6 months ago now I would say. Ive focus so far mainly on keywords for each cards as well as EDs. I've found an old thread with a link on how to really get to know the Thoth (card meditation etc..) and I'll start doing it in the next few days.
I thought the Thoth was an earthy deck! Never thought about it having an outer layer to crack/ chisel away at ! Interesting point!

The 10 of Wands/2 of Swords combination reminds me of the Henry Fuseli painting, "The Nightmare," which shows a baleful demon sitting on the chest of a sleeping woman. Crowley called the Wands card "Oppression," which Fuseli perfectly captured. You have a handful of Saturn-and-Capricorn-attuned cards (10 of Wands, 7 of Disks, 4 of Disks, the Devil) that reinforce the idea of a no-nonsense lack of flourishes or frills. Kind of like the old Dragnet line: "Just the facts, ma'am." That 2 of Swords isn't likely to enliven things.
Yes I can see this now. It's certainly not the deck to pick up if you're depressed!
The Devil and 10 of Disks complete the utilitarian picture. I bet you've been getting some very honest, unflinching readings out of the deck!
LOL yes !
My archetypical Trump is The Hermit. My personality court is the Queen of Swords and my destiny card is The Emperor.
The Thoth and I get on like a house on fire! I'm blunt by nature and take no prisoners. I don't see the point in "what if" and "yeah buts" and this deck really indulge the no frills side of me.
I've find myself being less brutal in reading for others with it. The RWS doesn't suit me at all. It makes me impatient with sitters and their troubles.
The "personality profile" is minimalist right down the line, not wasting any energy on embellishment. I find it interesting that you mention the Hermit, because when I did the quint for my Thoth layout I came up with the Hermit, the same quint I got for the Sevenfold Mystery: it's a singular deck that doesn't give up its wisdom easily.

The embellishments is exactly what I used to struggle with in reading for others so that's great. You're right, it doesn't give up easily but I'd expect nothing more from a worthy deck!

BarleyWine, thank you very much indeed! I'm now more determined than ever to really get to know it.
Great spread!