Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Decks with women who aren't in floaty dresses.

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

~ borderless ~

Madrigal 
~ borderless ~

World Spirit Tarot fits the bill for me. The woodcut medium produces a wonderfully muscular array of figures. The women are viscerally strong.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #31
Resident

athenafletcher 
Resident

It's not out yet, but Our Tarot by Sarah Shipman is an all-women deck that features real women from history (no mythological figures or goddesses). It reached its Kickstarter funding goal in December and is expected to be out in September this year.

Some of the women who will be in the deck include (taken from the Kickstarter page FAQ): Benazir Bhutto, Shirley Chisholm, Josephine Baker, Anne Frank, Wu Zeitan, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Wollenstonecraft, Nefertiti, Sophie Scholl, Isabella I of Castile, Toni Wolff, Hypatia of Alexandria, Assata Shakur, Rigoberta Menchu, Queen Nzinga, Mary Stuart of Scotland, Jane Austen, Julia Kristeva

https://www.our-tarot.com/order/ourtarot
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #32
Citizen

Anise 
Citizen

Barbieri’s smug QoW popped into my mind as I read your post. The deck has a lot of trouser-wearing, shorter-haired women. There are more women than men, and definitely more pants than dresses/robes. There might even be more dragons than dresses in this deck, lol. To a lesser extent, the Epic Tarot has women/androgynous folk in pants and armor, and also dresses…but they look like adventurers, not decor. The 8 of Cups is like the fantasy version of someone staring at a Tom Cruise poster wanting to be him. =P
Attached Images

Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #33
Citizen

euripides 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise View Post
Barbieri’s smug QoW popped into my mind as I read your post. The deck has a lot of trouser-wearing, shorter-haired women. There are more women than men, and definitely more pants than dresses/robes. There might even be more dragons than dresses in this deck, lol. To a lesser extent, the Epic Tarot has women/androgynous folk in pants and armor, and also dresses…but they look like adventurers, not decor. The 8 of Cups is like the fantasy version of someone staring at a Tom Cruise poster wanting to be him. =P
Hmm yeah but the aesthetic of be Barbieri is still very much the body-on-display, woman-as-decoration (despite the very cool Queen of Wands). The Epic is the similar - though I agree, more interesting than many - but still all hair-piled-on-heads and feminity as fragile.

If they put a woman in armor, it has to be boob contoured and with lots of bare skin....

We are so very deeply, historically and culturally and psychologically embedded in these arche-stereo-types that it's almost impossible to shake them. If you portray a strong woman in combat gear, *that's* a statement and she's implicitly being feminist/lesbian/nonconformist...

you can't utter a statement outside of the language that we use.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #34
Citizen

nisaba 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafizzypop View Post
I'm just happy when the women have clothes on......
<cackle>

The As Above and So Below Pagan decks both have women in jeans driving cars and using computers.

The Stick Figure Tarot is an interesting and amusing novelty - the women don't even really have genders, let alone floating clothes!

Is now the time to sing the praises of the Kilted Rubber Chicken deck, where the blokes wear the skirts, or the Cephalopod deck?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #35
Oversized hobbit

Morwenna 
Oversized hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by euripides View Post
Hmm yeah but the aesthetic of be Barbieri is still very much the body-on-display, woman-as-decoration (despite the very cool Queen of Wands). The Epic is the similar - though I agree, more interesting than many - but still all hair-piled-on-heads and feminity as fragile.
I think a lot of men in Tarot decks are decorative too. I'd say their bodies are on display!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #36
Citizen

euripides 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwenna View Post
I think a lot of men in Tarot decks are decorative too. I'd say their bodies are on display!
True. But while this is an increasing trend in contemporary culture, it isn't the default, and I'm not arguing about that. The default position for the male is the Actor, the Agent, the Subject, while women are, 90% of the time the Object.

Even the female knight of wands is artfully arranged on a chair. I want Artemisia's Judith, hacking of her foe's head.

I do armored combat in the SCA, and I can tell you, you don't feel dainty and sexy in armor. You feel hot, sweaty and aggressive.

It's interesting that many of the 'solutions' involve removing humans from the deck. We don't know how to portray ourselves without gender binary?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #37
Reader

prudence 
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwenna View Post
Definitely not in equal amounts though.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #38
Citizen

tarotlova 
Citizen

Twisted Tarot Tales?
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #39
Reader

prudence 
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by euripides View Post
True. But while this is an increasing trend in contemporary culture, it isn't the default, and I'm not arguing about that. The default position for the male is the Actor, the Agent, the Subject, while women are, 90% of the time the Object.

Even the female knight of wands is artfully arranged on a chair. I want Artemisia's Judith, hacking of her foe's head.
The Vacchetta queen of swords is depicted this way, though she's wearing a lovely dress while holding the severed head in her hand.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #40

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.