Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Who's that man in RW 6 Cups?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith


 
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

I think it can be a stretch to try to import trump card meanings directly to the minor cards. Their connection is primarily numerological. The number Six is a number of balance and harmony. But the Lovers is associated with Air (Gemini) and the 6 of Cups with Water (Sun in Scorpio). The kids (I don't see a dwarf, necessarily) in the latter card don't look like they have a Scorpionic thought in their heads. There is too much sweetness there, while the couple in the Lovers seem more conflicted. The Lovers can mean a parting of the ways as readily as a liaison (the Hebrew letter for the card means "sword" and the concept can have a dual association: to cleave to something means to "adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly," while to cleave something means to "divide by or as if by a cutting blow"), while the 6 of Cups seems more about the pleasure of the moment.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #11
arcange  arcange is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 172
arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallwedd View Post
Hello Arcange



I read that this illustration is likely based on a play with Ellen Terry ...



http://www.waitesmithtarot.com/the-6-of-cups/



It seems to explain the strange age appearance of the figures, the watchman, the flowers and the white glove, even the yellow curly hair and cap of the woman/child.



R.A.


Oh, that is excellent. I have to get this book.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #12
arcange  arcange is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 172
arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I think it can be a stretch to try to import trump card meanings directly to the minor cards. Their connection is primarily numerological. The number Six is a number of balance and harmony. But the Lovers is associated with Air (Gemini) and the 6 of Cups with Water (Sun in Scorpio). The kids (I don't see a dwarf, necessarily) in the latter card don't look like they have a Scorpionic thought in their heads. There is too much sweetness there, while the couple in the Lovers seem more conflicted. The Lovers can mean a parting of the ways as readily as a liaison (the Hebrew letter for the card means "sword" and the concept can have a dual association: to cleave to something means to "adhere firmly and closely or loyally and unwaveringly," while to cleave something means to "divide by or as if by a cutting blow"), while the 6 of Cups seems more about the pleasure of the moment.


Hi Barleywine, thank you for this explanation. I was joking a bit about the dwarf like resemblance. But to me he looks sort of menacing and not so innocent. He is much bigger than she.

I can understand it being a stretch to associate trump cards with minors when the minors look like Tarot de Marseilles. But cards which are full of symbolism? I'm a novice and my history is lacking. I trust your expertise. Though I have questions.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #13
magicjack's Avatar
magicjack  magicjack is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 Feb 2013
Location: San Fransisco CA USA
Posts: 509
magicjack 
Citizen

magicjack's Avatar

I got the book from the library. I can't remember much about it now but some of it was interesting and some of it wasn't. Or just take a look at it before you buy it.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #14
BrownBear  BrownBear is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 22 Aug 2014
Location: CA USA
Posts: 251
BrownBear 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcange View Post
I was joking a bit about the dwarf like resemblance. But to me he looks sort of menacing and not so innocent. He is much bigger than she.
I always thought that was because PCS wasn't a great artist. (hoping I don't offend anyone here) . This card has always been an odd one for me, because the proportions seem way off.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #15
Abrac  Abrac is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,466
Abrac 
Citizen

I honestly don't know how the authors of Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot can keep selling books. Most of their theories are the most laughable I've heard. Nothing against them personally, just saying their ideas show a lack of real research and border on silliness. My opinion of course.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #16
Ace's Avatar
Ace  Ace is offline
Life is an Elephant
 
Join Date: 06 Jul 2004
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 4,223
Ace 
Life is an Elephant

Ace's Avatar

I have always seen him as an adult walking away from Childish pursuits. In his hand is a staff---a symbol of power. I like to think he is the guy in the 8 of cups--walking away from what he CAN'T finish and up the mountain (Ascending) of enlightenment.
barb
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #17
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Frankly, I dodge the whole issue and just go with the Thoth meaning: pleasure, pure and simple, regardless of what deck I'm using. I do that with many of the RWS cards, but mostly the Sixes.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #18
Ace's Avatar
Ace  Ace is offline
Life is an Elephant
 
Join Date: 06 Jul 2004
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 4,223
Ace 
Life is an Elephant

Ace's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrac View Post
I honestly don't know how the authors of Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot can keep selling books. Most of their theories are the most laughable I've heard. Nothing against them personally, just saying their ideas show a lack of real research and border on silliness. My opinion of course.
I looked up the URL Rallwedd furnished and I agree with you Abrac! The web site has 10 cards and their explication and I see it is very thin and pretty silly. I am getting it from the library, I will see for myself.

barb
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #19
arcange  arcange is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Feb 2017
Location: Paris
Posts: 172
arcange 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjack View Post
I got the book from the library. I can't remember much about it now but some of it was interesting and some of it wasn't. Or just take a look at it before you buy it.


I read thru some of the website on the book. They use lots of marketing language that turns me off. I'll try the library.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #20
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.