Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Gender Swapped Decks?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

MadeiraDarling 
Citizen
Gender Swapped Decks?

I have (and love) the Manga Tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/ and what I really love about it is how they've swapped the gender of all the archetypes in the deck which is a lovely reminder that all these archetypes are gender neutral, are there other decks that do the same thing?
Top   #1
Citizen

page of ghosts 
Citizen

I don't think the creator swapped all the majors, but I remember that there is a female Hermit, Magician and Fool(s) in Tarot of the Silicon Dawn. Haven't worked much with this deck so I don't remember if there are more, but it's very likely.
Top   #2
Citizen

Trogon 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeiraDarling View Post
I have (and love) the Manga Tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/ and what I really love about it is how they've swapped the gender of all the archetypes in the deck which is a lovely reminder that all these archetypes are gender neutral, are there other decks that do the same thing?
I don't know about other decks ... but that Manga Tarot is awesome! I expect it would be a big hit if I took it to our local anime club ...
Top   #3
Resident

harvest 
Resident

I haven't personally used a deck that has had gender swapping attributes. But I feel like perhaps the reason they swapped the genders was because of the zodiac traits that the court cards have (were the court cards swapped?). As for the major arcana, I am not sure.
Top   #4
Resident

Siavahda 
Resident

I would DEEPLY love more gender-swapped decks, but I don't know of many... There's several decks that have gender-swapped at least a few of the Major Arcana - the Tarot Mucha has a female Fool and Hermit, I think, and the Steampunk Tarot has several female knights...

Oh, there's the Dream Enchantress tarot! All the traditionally male figures in that one are women wearing masks - the Emperor, the Kings, etc. But the traditionally female figures are still women.
Top   #5
Citizen

Le Fanu 
Citizen

Love me the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA. Gender is just something out there and weirdly superfluous, except for the Courts. I love reading with this deck, suspending those traditional masculine / feminine polarities.
Top   #6
Citizen

nisaba 
Citizen

The Science Tarot has all-male Queens. And females on surprising cards.

Not only does it have *that* going for it, but it forces you to learn stuff - by enchanting you and making you *willing* to learn.
Top   #7
Mixtape expert

Lain_82 
Mixtape expert

The tarot Mucha is not fully gender swapped, but it has a female Devil, Magician and Hermit if I remember correctly, and in my opinion it's a lovely deck.
Top   #8
Citizen

Carojulie 
Citizen

The Vanessa tarot is all women, even the kings. The Gorgon's tarot os mostly women, and some characters are androgynous. But they are not gender swapped.
The Sakki sakki tarot is not gender swapped but I love how some characters are deeply masculine, some deeply feminine, some ambiguous and some androgynous. Nice panel of gender expression ! But no gender swapping really.
Top   #9
Resident

Siavahda 
Resident

You might be interested in the Numinous Tarot by Noel Heimpel - it's due to have a Kickstarter some time this summer, I think, and it's BIG on messing with the male/female archetypes, with masculine and feminine roles switched around and plenty of androgynous/genderqueer characters. Personally I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.