Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Bohemian cats tarot gold edition - value

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Resident

TarotBeacon 
Resident
Post Bohemian cats tarot gold edition - value

Hi there.
I am sorry to be posting at this sad time, when this amazing community will be closing.
I just have a quick question regarding one of my decks, namely the bohemian cats tarot - gold edition.
I have this set, still new and sealed, and have been trying to find more information on it, and specifically if anyone might know how to value this deck, should I wish to sell it.

Many thanks for any information on the deck or on the value of this, as I know it was a limited edition print run of 500 decks.

Tarot Beacon.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Any deck is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. (I'm not being funny, but there is no actual standard.)

Have you the "KIT" with the journal, or the deck ? The kit is up on ebay Canada for $1500 CDN "or best offer". There's no knowing what it will sell for. What I do when I really want to know is watch a listing like that and see what happens.

So I followed that one up and I think the seller is a bit mad. Had it listed a month ago for $1000 CDN; and it didn't sell. So it is now listed again at 50% more. The deck (gold edged) alone has also failed to sell at $250 CDN.

HOWEVER - a UK seller just sold the deck alone (one of the limited edition run of 500 which AFAIK was the total number of DECKS, but I may be wrong... and it's numbered - I don't know if they ever had the journal) for a mere 71 pounds - $117 CDN.

I wouldn't get too excited; be realistic - and watch the $1500 one... . I think you can rest assured that $1000 is off the wall !
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

AJ 
Citizen

I'd pay more for an unsealed one. Too many times something is missing on a older sealed deck, with no recourse. Unseal it, order the deck, then list it, you'll get more for it. Whatever more is...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Yes but no but yes but ...

Someone here bought a sealed Baba deck just two weeks ago and it was missing a card... Just sayin' Sealed isn't ALWAYS a guarantee - and when it's LE, you can't be sure the publisher can help out with a missing card. That said - with a sealed one, it isn't the seller's fault if a card is missing. I do agree.

The one up for $1500CDN is sealed. But it didn't sell at $1000, so why they relisted for more I do not understand...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

Carojulie 
Citizen

Hi !

Yes you are right Gregory and I think you are talking about me buying a Baroque Bohemian Cats sealed deck and it missed the Page of Cups !
So that is probably why AJ says they would pay more for an UNsealed deck !

But as Gregory says, Yes but No but Yes.....

Unsealed : the seller had a chance to make sure all the cards are there. But, then, the deck is not guaranteed to be new, and I have see unsealed decks that were described as "in new condition" but turned out to be very filthy..... so, unless you know the seller and trust them, I would be wary of buying a very expensive unsealed deck now.

Sealed : it's new and nobody put their filthy paws on it ! So I would probably be more comfortable paying a costly sum for a sealed deck, despite my earlier misadventure two weeks ago.
Of course, buying a sealed OOP deck from an artist or a publisher that is not longer in activity, and discovering that one card is missing... there is not much you can do.

But the thing is : it is a Baba deck we are talking about, and Baba Studio is still there, with a TOP of the top customer service.
When I bought from ebay this sealed deck that was missing the Page of Cups, I wrote them, and they were extremely helpful and nice and kind eventhough I had not bought the deck directly from them, and they are doing their best to replace my missing card.... I should receive the missing card any moment now (I hope this week !)

So, your deck being Baba's.... the seal would actually reassure me rather than worry me. And besides, I already purchased the BBC deck that was missing a card, so we are safe now, lol.... because, from a statistical point of view, what are the chances of two BBC decks missing a card ? It's like fearing that a meteor would fall twice on the same place....
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

garmonbozia 
Citizen

Buying a sealed OOP deck is always a risk.....

I always feel better bidding on an opened OOP deck that has a lot of pictures.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Resident

TarotBeacon 
Resident
Smile Bohemian cats tarot gold edition - value

Thank you to all of you that responded to my question, and sorry not to have replied sooner.
Yes, I suppose you are right, in that any deck is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the end of the day.
My one is the second edition, gold limited to 500 copies one, which has the blue cover on the box, and I believe it comes with the lovely journal inside, and that the box/packaging itself was specially designed for this limited print run and edition.
I agree that buying a sealed OOP deck is not as straightforward as one would hope, as I sold a sealed tarot box set on ebay a few months back, and the quality of the card printing inside was awful, with two cards having rips in them. I was of course mortified, and though I had 100% feedback, the buyer was quick to distrust me. However, we worked it out and I gave her a full refund etc... But I was the one who got stung in the end.
Anyway, I have seen my bohemian cats version on Amazon for like two thousand pounds, crazy!
I have hummed and ha about opening it, but thought this would de-value it somehow. I always take really good care of my opened decks anyway, but understand given the aforementioned experience, why people would be nervous to spend so much money on a sealed deck, in case of manufacturing errors. I am however, encouraged by baba studios professionalism and good customer care.
Well, it still remains sealed for now, but I am soooo tempted to open it and look through the deck. It seems gorgeous what online images I have viewed. I think mine is the border less version too, so bigger images.
Thanks again for everyone's input, I appreciate all views.
Tarot beacon.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

Carojulie 
Citizen

Hello,

I see your point. Thought I think that there is no reason for the buyer to distrust you in such a matter, especially if you were helpful and worked with them to find a solution. In the past I have given super positive feedback to a seller (not for a deck) eventhough the item was not what was described, but from communication with the seller it was clear it was not their fault and they were very keen on finding a solution.
But I understand that in the end, it's a no-win/no-win situation, one that you do not want to risk being in again !

So, if I were the one selling an expensive OOP deck, in the light of all that has been said now, I think I would open it to check on it, then I would list it as "in new condition, has been recently opened and gently perused once to make sure all cards are there, but otherwise unused" or something of the same kind.

2000 sounds extreme ! I have also seen this set listed for 300 $ and it did not sell right away (maybe it did not sell at all, cannot remember), so I would be extremely surprised if it actually sold for 2000 , but then again, you never know...... for my part it feels like the person listing it for 2000 does not really want to part from their deck !
To compare, I have seen the Bohemian Gothic Silver edition (same sort of LE in runs of 500 copies) sold for 200 canadian $ on ebay. It was already sold when I became aware of the transaction, so no idea how long it stayed. As Gregory says, one needs to be realistic if they want to make sure the deck is going to sell...

I wish you best luck if you set your mind on selling the deck It is a beautiful deck !
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarotBeacon View Post
Anyway, I have seen my bohemian cats version on Amazon for like two thousand pounds, crazy!.
Never believe those Amazon listings. I've seen in print Jane Austen books listed for hundreds of dollars. Find a listing on ebay where it actually sold.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.