Vertigo Study...the Lost Fool

Chronata

Well, as many of you now know...the beginning thread of our Vertigo Study Group...the Fool...has been lost.

It's just like him to go off and disappear...jumping off the wheel as we really get started on this grand scheme of ours...

Recreating the thread is probably too difficult. I can only hope that everyone who wanted to read it has done so.

So, I think we will press on...and try and get through the rest of the Majors. Perhaps, after we are done...the Fool will come back and get his own thread again!

(of course...if anyone had the oracular sense to print out the previous thread...and would like to retype it all here...I'm sure that I for one...would be very happy...and forever in your debt!)

etal

Hey! I'm not lost, just wandering a bit

Dear Chronata et al,

A hearty hello and thanks and welcome: it's so good to be back. Now if we can only bag, nag, drag Chronata into rewriting at least a bit (there was ONE PRECIOUS paragraph towards the end) of her perfect little essay on John Constantine=the Fool.

I hope that others will recommit and repost too. And I look forward to seeing the Fool rise again and again to the top of New Posts as the months--dare we hope years?--go by.

I had written my own contribution out in Word before posting—so no mental excavation needed to dig it up:

Deep thanks to Chronata for beginning and leading this long-desired Study Group. I hope it will attract and sustain a good number of Vertigo fans and inspire us all to deepen our understanding of these edgy, evocative cards.

A note: Unhampered as I am (!) by any acquaintance with the DC comics that inspired the deck, I’ve had to draw my interpretations from the cards alone.

Countdown to Zero: I found it a useful exercise to imagine the Fool as he might look in a normal, everyday setting, just a moment or two before he slips into Dave McKean’s alternative reality at point zero.

When I do this, I can recognize him much more clearly as Everyman/-woman because I see him and hundreds like him--including me--every day in my city: Head bent downward, mouth set grim, shoulders stooped, hands shoved into his drab coat, he plods along the street with his eyes half closed and averted from the bustling world, determined to avoid any interaction with the unknown passersby. Self-absorbed, he is nonetheless out of touch with the Self. His goals are outer only: making it to the subway, to his job, to sleep. You’ve seen him in the line at the check-out counter at your local supermarket where you too were standing, marking time along with him and me.

Then he takes a few steps forward, lands on this card, and his head explodes. A fiery vision fills his imagination, emotions and strivings that he has starved and stuffed leap out of his chest, and he catches a glimpse of a once-fresh innocence and beauty that seem blasted now.

1. “My hair is on fire.” The Fool’s vision pulsates with volcanic color and energy, surging up from the roiling unconscious with premonitions of adventure and risk that both frighten and tempt. He sees the image of his Self on the edge of a fire-seared cliff, dancing in the light, arms outstretched in welcome to the unknown dark, free and unbound, about to take the leap of hope and faith that will begin the Journey.

2. “Feed the hungry.” The Fool’s instinctive drives have been starved of fulfilling experience. Before he appeared on this card, the Fool had allowed his animal core to become dead bone, fossilized, so non-living that it resembles stone. Yet as long as life persists, the yearning pulse at the center of life remains alive and ravenous--look how it runs and chews its way through his chest and strives to lunge out beyond the frame at the right side of the card!

3. “Say it with flowers.” Innocent sensuality--the fresh and frank love of all that is beautiful in nature--has withered in the world before this card. Like the fossilized creature in his chest, the fruits of the earth seem dead. But the stem still thrusts upward from the ground, and at its tip is a flower still in bud that the Fool can take with him.

Portent: The Greek philosopher Heraclitus famously said, “You cannot step in the same river twice.” We change with our every breath, yet as creatures of habit, we often fear change and fight it. Even when (or perhaps because) we know our lives have become deadened to exploration, the promptings of instinct, the moment-by-moment awareness of nature’s beautiful gifts, we resist the ineluctable movement toward change.

During the countdown to zero, the Fool has done so too, but the Vertigo card both imagines and urges the beginning of a new take on life. The risks may seem daunting--the cliff is so barren and high! But the inner Self offers an invitation to dance, and to refuse would be to humiliate it, perhaps to silence its soft voice forever. Instinct lunges forward. A failure of courage here would be disastrous.

You may feel dispirited, lonely, withered, and dead. But a miracle has happened and old bones have been called to new life. You are dancing the dance of the universe, which will bear you along on its music. Take courage. Take the last living flower in your hands. And take the leap.

MeeWah

I regret I missed the original thread, but shall attempt to offer a view--though etal's inspired essay is a hard act to follow.

Like etal, I also see this Fool as self-absorbed though not strictly in the sense of self-centeredness. More in the sense of a deep preoccupation with negotiating his way through life or whatever place he is in. Thus he may appear immune to exterior influences, stepping to an inner rhythm that has yet to gain substance.

The fossil-like creature that protrudes from his front & back is what catches my eye. Reminiscent of that phrase "skeletons in the closet". As one carries the past (such as that of experiences & past lives), so does he carry with him the "ghosts" of his past & future; both the unresolved & a potential whose essence is not yet "fleshed" with experience or knowledge. It is expressive of the "bare bones" of his existance perhaps, stripped of all veneers. Or even expressive of his core being, a fragile energy/entity housed in a physical shell that oft defies his understanding.

Within his being he holds both life & death, the constructive & the destructive. Indeed, he is a godling making his way to godhood.

Centaur

I will have to embark upon hypnotic regression in order to remember what I had originally written in this thread. LOL. I am sure it will come back to me at some point.

Chronata, do you have the link to the website showing all the cards? It was originally posted in the hacked Fool thread, but is gone now.

Thanks! :)

Centaur

Thanks Meewah. :)

Yes, that is the site. I would love to have the Vertigo, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I have a feeling that it would be quite an expensive purchase. For now, I will make do with the Internet scans on the website. Hehe.

allibee

from spiritone website:

But now I must introduce you to John Constantine, The Fool of the Vertigo Tarot. This character is taken from the long running title Hellblazer. He was originally created by the author Alan Moore in The Saga of the Swamp Thing, but Constantine’s film-noir, self-confident attitude was so popular that he was given his own comic book. He might be described as a psychic detective, maneuvering through danger by bald disregard and by stroke of luck. He sometimes makes use of a modicum of occult knowledge; more often, he must rely on the skills of his acquaintances. He is nick-named Hellblazer because he blazes a reckless path between the realms of heaven and hell. McKean was the cover artist for the first twenty-one issues, until he devoted himself strictly to covers for The Sandman.