Thoth hand-book...

Aun

Hi again...

For those who are looking for a quick-reference-like hand book on Thoth, I suggest Tarot: Mirror of the Soul by Gerd Ziegler - ISBN: 0877286833.

I bought it yesterday on Borders, and so far I'm enjoying it very much.

P.S. - This book is not intended to be your main Thoth guide.
The scope of meanings is easy to grasp and straight forward, but far from describing the detailed symbolism of each card.

For that you can always refer back to Duquette's Understanding Crowley's thoth tarot... or the good old Book of Thoth itself :)

Moonudjat

I want an accesory to my Book of Thoth and i was contemplating if i should get Mirrors of the Soul or Understanding Crowely's so from what I get from your post is that Douquette's Understanding is better, containing more information?

FraterGrant

So, what is the best book to buy? I 'need' someone (or a majority vote) on which book would be the best for study. I have limited income (I'm 15, what do I say??) So I need an indespensible guide to everything.

Aun

Moonudjat,

In my opinion, Duquette's 'Understanding Crowley Thoth Tarot' is way better than 'Mirror of the Soul'...

TaranRavenfrost said:
So I need an indespensible guide to everything.
I wish I had found something like this... unfortunately there is no such thing :)

FraterGrant

Aun said:
I wish I had found something like this... unfortunately there is no such thing :)

hehehe, LOL. So, Milo's book is the best?

Centaur

I really like both Ziegler, and Duquette. I think that in terms of interpretation, the Ziegler is an excellent resource. However, if you are very interested in the symbology and background of the cards, then Duquette's book is amazing, and an excellent read. I would recommend BOTH of these books. In my opinion, they compliment each other.

Aun

I have to agree with you, Centaur.

As a matter of fact, Ziegler discusses the symbology of the cards in better detail than Duquette, nevertheless, from a very different perspective that brings unvaluable insights.

On the other hand, Duquette covers important subjects that form the background of the Thoth theory per say. Things like the Astrological attributions of the cards, the Rose cross, The tree of Life, The myth of Horus-Isis-Osiris, among others. None of the above is covered in Ziegler's...

Centaur

Aun said:
As a matter of fact, Ziegler discusses the symbology of the cards in better detail than Duquette, nevertheless, from a very different perspective that brings unvaluable insights.

Totally agreed. I think that both books are invaluable in their own way. :)