Just obtained a University books edition.

The 78th Fool

I'm really thrilled today as I've finally managed to obtain the University Books edition of the RWS that was published upto about 1970, prior to US Games taking the copyrights.

I'm really surprised at just how bright and spectral the colouring on these cards is, in comparison to the US Games editions. They're nearly as gawdy as the Albano Waite but I'm really pleased with them all the same.

I've attached an image on this post and a second image on the one below.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• universtity bks rws.jpg
    universtity bks rws.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 545

The 78th Fool

Here's the second image.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• university bks rws2.jpg
    university bks rws2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 454

Le_Corsair

I've got two copies of the University Press RWS; I like the colors, but the cardstock is pretty poor.

I have a copy of University Press' edition of Waite's Pictorial Key To The Tarot also; a nice hardcover, available fairly often on eBay for less than 10 dollars; better than the crummy paperbacks that everyone seems to have.

Bob :THERM

Sulis

Well done - I like the colours too - much nicer than the US Games version.

Love

Sulis xxx

The 78th Fool

Le_Corsair said:
I've got two copies of the University Press RWS; I like the colors, but the cardstock is pretty poor.

I have a copy of University Press' edition of Waite's Pictorial Key To The Tarot also; a nice hardcover, available fairly often on eBay for less than 10 dollars; better than the crummy paperbacks that everyone seems to have.

You're right Bob, the cardstock's not marvellous, but I like the finish - that sort of waxy gloss that old cards have. The deck's never been used so its as good as new. I can see myself using it for readings. The print quality's not that good but I really respond to the deck - and I like the back design. (Like you Sulis, I love the colours, although I still love the US GAmes too.)

I'll certainly keep an eye out for the University books ed of the Pictorial Key.

Chris. xx

Centaur

Thanks for sharing the images Chris. I like the colouring too. Although, the child depicted in the Sun card looks as though he/she has been in the Sun for way too long! Haha. :D

Tarotphelia

I like this deck a lot. I have one with the nice red case .
I especially like that it has the ankh back , which seems so much nicer than the later USG bad plaid bathrobe back. (Sorry Trogon !)

I think I first saw this deck during a rerun of an American Family . A PBS series that was one of the first reality docu-dramas , focused on the daily life of the Loud family. (1970 or thereabouts) Mom Loud went to New York to visit Lance, and he took her to some guy's flat where she got her cards read on the bed. It was the worst reading I have ever seen, and well worth watching for comedic value if you should ever get the opportunity !

Vincent

Le_Corsair said:

Does this edition have colour plates of the cards?

Vincent

Cerulean

My battered 1966 copy does not

My book has black and white plates.

On the flip side:
I have the University Press colored Rider Waite deck and I think this is the only pink and purple deck I want to keep around--rather cute. The backs are pink.

Hope others have fun with this deck!

Regards,

Cerulean

Gerbear

I got mine over thirty years ago, and it's held up quite well. It saw heavy use for the first ten years or so that I had it.