D?rer anyone?

firemaiden

HI! I got the new D?rer (lo Scarabeo 78 card, colored version -- Gaudenzi) along with my Fey deck. I haven't seen anyone screaming up and down and going bananas over this deck, as we have over the Fey, but I quite like it.

I love the use of animals in the suits, especially the doves for cups , and I like how the animals/suits coordinate into a possible story: e.g.
in the 2 of swords; a wary fox is sneaking a peek over a wicker wall to espy a suspicious hen and her recently laid egg --> in the 3 of swords, the same fox, evading a man in mourning, has an expression of fear and horror as he sees three swords staked in the ground before him. Red berries shine like blood in the grass. The 7 of swords is an all out fox hunt, the sky is the orange of war. And in the 8 of swords, the fox has been killed- pierced through with the 8 swords.

Some cool cards:
The Queen of Pentacles looks like she was in the midst of a bawdy encounter, which was interrupted to paint the card.
the 4 of pentacles: a man climbing up a crest comes upon an eagles nest with four coins instead of eggs.
8 of cups: a dove shivering in a downpour over a rising stream, where a party of cups is being upset and washed away downstream.

I don't get that the writer of the LBW necessarily saw the cards. I found terribly jarring to see the graphic 10 of Swords picture (a dead man lying face-up, transperced in five bleeding places by 5 swords, and hemmed in on all sides by the remaining 5) and then to read the all light and chuckes interpretation in the LWB. "Upper hand over every obstacle, improved life, positive forces and vibrations" .

It seems that the writer of the LWB was not on speaking terms with the artist.

Cerulean

The little white book has sayings and the cards have the mottos as well. Can you tell if the cards mottos are in Latin or Italian?
I'm more puzzled by the cards. I am not happy with the Fool.
But you are right about the animals and colors being quite interesting. I'm certain if you are a Durer fan, there will be many things to study in this deck.
Best wishes,
Mari H.

firemaiden

The card sayings are definitely in Latin.
I like the fool, but I notice between the italian word "matto" and the english "fool" there is a chasm of difference. Matto really means someone who is crazy, not foolish. And I find the italian cards reflect that meaning rather than the english word.

Tell me more of your thoughts on the cards. I am just starting to study these, I can see that it will take a long time to plumb their depths.

truthsayer

i've been thinking about getting the durer. there was an article in a recent watercolor magazine about him which has deepened my interests. he isn't as famous for his watercolors b/c he had to do oils for wealthy clients in order to live. watercolors didn't make nearly as much money. do you know if the images used are from his watercolors, oils or both? just curious.

firemaiden

Engravings. Giacinto Gaudenzi's illustrations were done in the style of D?rer's engravings. See on the Aeclectic decks site, the first "arte" deck of 22 majors was mostly black and white. This 78 card deck is in color, but these cards are basically black and white engraving-style illustrations that have been "colorized", yes, probably with water colors.

Ophiel

I might have been doing that (screaming up and down and going bananas) about the Durer, except I don't see it on their website (Lo Scarabeo.) If I yell, scream up and down about something I don't know about, "they" will lock me up!

SherryZoned

There is a book about the Durer deck coming out in March!!

Cerulean

Wonderful..is it listed online anywhere? Sometimes Amazon.com will list a tarot deck as a book title...

Mari H.

SherryZoned

I thought I saw the book..but of course now i cant locate it!!

firemaiden

Quote:Originally posted by Ophiel
I might have been doing that (screaming up and down and going bananas) about the Durer, except I don't see it on their website (Lo Scarabeo.) If I yell, scream up and down about something I don't know about, "they" will lock me up!

well, I learned about it from The Tarot Garden
dangerous site, that.