Tarot decks that you just do not like

Phantom Goddess

I'm a very picky person when it comes to tarot decks. There are very few decks out there that I actually like and many many more that I just can't get along with.

I've picked up decks in the bookstore and had to set them right back down again because the cards hated me. Some of the decks I really don't care for are the ones that use photoshop, the computer imaging software. Some of the decks I actually do like is the Stygian Darkness Tarot but there are others that are just too light for me.

Does anyone else have decks that they just don't like?

laura_borealis

I just don't like the Motherpeace deck. I tried to like it. I like the concept of round cards. But I don't like the artwork and some of the symbolism rubs me the wrong way.

It's not the primitive quality of the art -- I like a lot of outsider art. It's that it has no charm. (for me.)

Calliope

The H.R. Giger Tarot. I haven't bought it (nor will I ever most likely), but I saw pictures on the Aeclectic site and I got this feeling of utter revulsion. That deck is definately not for me.

My type of deck is something beautiful, and/or just interesting. I'm really loving my Gendron right now, and I would love to get the World Spirit. I just bought the Drogi from Tarot Garden off of eBay, so as soon as I pay for it, I'll be anxiously awaiting for it to arrive! Those kinds of decks are more of my taste.

WolfSpirit

I am glad to say there are lots of decks I don't care for. There is still plenty enough left that I do want, hehe.

I don't like the anime decks, they does not appeal to me at all.
Most Lo Scarabeo decks just look like pretty pictures to me, don't know why but I just can't get into them. There are some that I first think are beautiful, and then on a second glance...most leave me cold, nice for the artwork maybe but no more. They always seem to end up at the back of my wishlist because there is always another deck I want more.
And I don't like erotic decks - I first liked the idea but it somehow is just not tarot to me, how can you make an erotic version of the High Priestess or the Hermit without turning the meaning into a parody ?

Logiatrix

The Bosch Tarot comes to mind; it gave me the creeps.
But I still can't call my reaction dislike, necessarily.
Every deck I've ever seen, whether I was attracted to it or not, has at least taught me something--doesn't that make even an "ugly" deck kind of likeable?
The Giger Tarot, for example, was gifted to me for Christmas several years ago; it shocked and repulsed me, but it also made me realize that I was a bit of a prude. ;)
Being a gift, I felt I had to hang on to it for a while, so I forced myself to look it over and get past my initial reaction.
I passed the set on (because it was a majors-only deck, and I got a trade offer I couldn't refuse, LOL), but it went with a fond farewell, because it truly helped me break down some personal barriers.
:)

Rhiannon

I really think it is only fair that I judge decks I dislike if I've actually owned them, so there are 2 that I've had that I don't care for and will not purchase again (I traded them or sold them): The Spiral Tarot and the Witches Tarot (Ellen Cannon Reed). Neither of those did anything for me.

R :)

tao51

But...I really do not care for the anime decks. I just have trouble relating to them. I find the Tarot of the Animal Lords not very appealing. I do feel it is an attractive deck. --Tao

lunakasha

Quote:Originally posted by Calliope
The H.R. Giger Tarot. I haven't bought it (nor will I ever most likely), but I saw pictures on the Aeclectic site and I got this feeling of utter revulsion. That deck is definately not for me.

Same here....this deck just bothers me on so many levels....definitely NOT my taste, but some people like it, which is fine.....

I have had some pretty decks that I just do not connect with:

The Celtic Dragon and Enchanted/Zerner-Farber decks would fall under that category. Don't hate them, but they are just not for me I guess....

I had another deck that was very disappointing: The Faery Wicca.
I had seen a few scans and liked what I saw....but when I bought the deck and looked at all of the cards, it seemed very bland....not to mention that the LWB was very strange....felt like I needed a PhD in European History to follow any of what she was saying (not to mention all of the strange names she gave to the cards!!!). Again, fine for some people, but not for me.

:) Luna

sassygirl3124

I purchased the Legend of the Arthurian tarot. I think the cards are pretty and they have some very good images on them but for some reason they just do not speak to me. It is one of those thing that I am wondering if I should trade or sell the deck or not and just keep it for the artwork because I will never do another reading with it. Oh well.

Julie

dolphinprincess

There are so many decks I do not like.. I am amazingly picky with tarot decks. If it doesn't really click - I can't use it.

However, if I am only speaking to decks I have owned that I haven't liked, the Spiral Tarot sticks out the most... I was so disappointed in the Minors.