The De-Enabling Thread

Gayla

Thanks QP and C :) I did go to the library and their copy of the Ency of Tarot was old, worn and tattered...I think I want it just to say I have it...
And yes, again...I think I just want the Ancestral deck just to 'possess' it...
Maybe if I really connect to the MAAT, I'll get the Ancestral.

I desperately want more of Carol Herzner's decks and prints...

My name is Gayla...and I am a Tarotholic....:)

Jannelientje

A few pages ago a rquested your help ... and now I am getting even worse ;)
Please de-enable me from buying Llewellyn Tarot and/or Celtic Wisdom tarot.
My purse is empty and I am only allowed to long for one deck (and preferably not even buy it)
Drawbacks LLewellyn: not mytic minors, RWS based, but beautiful majors
Drwabkacs CW: again beautiful majors, deep in celtic myths, but some cards are a bit cartoony. I do not mind a total different system, but I am worried that some myths don't match the card meanings.

magpie9

OK, I have both those Celtic decks, so I'll try to de-enabling you. No promises, though!
Celtic Wisdom is difficult because while every card is connected to a myth, it's just one bit of the myth, and the whole stories aren't there. For instance, in the Mythic Tarot a whole mythological story is told in each of the 4 minor suits. That makes it a lot easier to learn and work with. It's very fragmented in the CW, on that level. Also, she has changed the names of not only all the suits, but also named the 1-10 cards in the suits with pretty clumsy and obscure names, so that it is very difficult to connect to the RWS numerical meanings that you may already know. It makes it very hard. The cards themselves are very thick, which I kind of like, but many people don't. I really like the art. And, despite all that, I really like the deck. I think with a lot of dedicated study it would be a great deck, but without it...sigh. I don't trade it away because I keep hoping that I will eventually put the time and energy and work into it that it deserves.
Yep, it's one of those.
The Llewellyn is a lovely deck, in every way, and the book is terrific for the stories. The symbolism is RWS, so you can just pick it up and read, without any of the mythological knowledge in the book. I'm not doing too well on de-enabling on this one...my own copy is still very new and fascinating to me. ;) I suspect it can be a deep deck--if I do the work involved. But in the end, I think for most of us, this deck will turn out to be just another pretty deck.

Jannelientje

Thank you so much voor de-enabling me! I think I am able to wait en not buy the Celtic Wisdom Deck However I do already now many of the celtic stories behind the cards, so perhaps I will buy them eventually. I can controll myself for the moment, I think ... I hope.

Oef ... The Llewellyn poses a bigger challenge I think. There a few major arcana cards that really impress me.

The point is that I'm not an experienced tarot reader, but I am familiar with celtic mythology, that leaves me to question which tarot deck would be more suitable for me.

jackdaw*

I can't comment on the Celtic Wisdom. Never owned it or even seen it.

I owned the Llewellyn for about 3 days. I found the cartoony Minors too jarring compared to the Majors (which are LOVELY, can't deny it!), and the titles too unreadable with the eye-blurring font. I'm afraid that this is in fact just another pretty deck.

HearthCricket

Celtic Wisdom-pretty deck, huge cards, lots of lamination so they stick a lot, hard to shuffle, take up a lot of room, must read book before even attempting to read with these. Too much time involved.

Llewellyn-pretty deck, minors are different artwork than the majors (I love this deck, though), but a much easier deck to read. Bag falls apart after a few uses, so be prepared to find something else. You can either read the book or just read the cards as they are RWS based.

How's that? :)

cosmic_bubble

Oh dear...oh dear, oh dear

I made the mistake of browsing through TarotGarden during my lunch-hour... A few decks caught my eye, and as it dawned on me that I was about to start getting 'The Craving', I thought I'd come on here and read reviews of the decks - surely they'd all turn out to be useless and 1-star rated :D

Sadly not *gulp*

These are the three that are whispering in my ear...

Llewellyn
Manga
Universal Goddess

The last one is really calling my name *tries to block out the voices*

;)

Alta

To a point, if you can't afford to buy, stay out of the stores!! :(

I cannot say about the first two, but the "Universal Goddess" idea has been done a few times.

Annabelle

cosmic_bubble said:
These are the three that are whispering in my ear...

Llewellyn
Manga
Universal Goddess

I don't have the Manga so I can't de-enable you on that one, but let's talk about the Llewellyn and the Universal Goddess, shall we?

First off, about the Llewellyn - don't let yourself be too drawn in by the art on the majors. The majors and minors are done in two different art styles, which I find very disconcerting. Also, honestly, efforts at Welsh mythology aside, this deck has been done already. It's by and large another pretty take on the RWS.

Now, about the Universal Goddess. It's cartoony. The color palette is too varied and too bright. It's trying too hard . . . finding 78 goddesses and matching them to 78 tarot cards is difficult to do, and in my opinion they didn't do it particularly well. Also . . . well, come closer, so I can whisper this to you. It's a Lo Scarabeo deck. That means tacky-looking card backs. That means card borders with titles in 6 different languages. That means the cards are just a teensy bit too small to showcase the art properly. Some LS decks are well-worth it, despite the drawbacks. But this one isn't. Seriously.

jackdaw*

Which Manga Tarot is it that needs de-enabling? The Lo Scarabeo, or the re-release of the Grecian Eudaemon?