The De-Enabling Thread

bleuivy

I could use some de-enabling for the Lo Scarabeo Manga tarot. I'm not about to rush right out and buy it, but its creeping up my wish list. If it doesn't get stopped soon, I will have to take drastic action, lol.

jackdaw*

If you're a Manga fan, it's not very manga-y. And the genders of pretty well ALL cards are reversed (the Knights are women, for example). That gets very confusing.

cosmic_bubble

QueenofPentacles said:
Which Manga Tarot is it that needs de-enabling? The Lo Scarabeo, or the re-release of the Grecian Eudaemon?

The Lo Scarabeo.... That Lovers card is just..umm..lovely *ahem*

Thanks, Annabelle4 - I think you may've dampened my enthusiasm for the Goddess deck for the time being..it was the comment about the card borders that did it! I love examining cards and picking out the small details - so smaller artwork is a bit frustrating :)

bleuivy

QueenofPentacles said:
If you're a Manga fan, it's not very manga-y. And the genders of pretty well ALL cards are reversed (the Knights are women, for example). That gets very confusing.

Thanks for the info, QoP. I think this deck will stay on my wishlist, but it probably won't move up the wishlist any time soon. Thanks!

Now, I wonder if anyone would like to de-enable me for Ando's Transformational Tarot? :)

Annabelle

bleuivy said:
Now, I wonder if anyone would like to de-enable me for Ando's Transformational Tarot? :)
Assuming you are thinking of the recent USG printing (and not the original release of the deck from a number of years back) . .

1. It's printed in Italy. If you search, you'll find several threads on this - recent USG decks printed in Italy tend to have a nasty chemical odor and a sort of sticky, inferior coating. At least that's true of my copy.

2. For a collage deck, it's pretty good. But not the best. Looks a lot like . . . well, a lot of the other collage decks out there. I don't find much in the Transformational to set it apart - or above - the rest.

3. Some of the colors and art styles, when put together as collage, simply don't work. Some of the images are jarring, in a bad "wtf??" sort of way.

4. I can't read with it at all, and it's not for lack of trying. I've had it by my bedside for a few weeks now. I keep looking through the cards - and feeling confused. I keep trying one or two card draws for myself - and getting absolutely nothing from the cards. It seems almost more like an oracle deck than a tarot . . . doesn't stay close enough to the RWS system, or to any other known system, for my taste.

jackdaw*

It is a LOVELY deck, but Annabelle is right in that many of the images have been done before. I know you have the Artist's Inner Vision, for example, bleuivy, and you'll see some of the same artworks in there.

Like many decks self-published (at least the Transformational was self-published initially), its symbols are highly personal to the creator. Arnell has a very nice vision for Tarot, but it's HER vision. It might not work for you. I could make it work for me, but I have to work hard to see it through my own sensibilities rather than her own. And if you want to see through your own eyes, this might not be the way to go.

bleuivy

Thanks Annabelle4 and QoP! You both have effectively de-enabled me for the Transformational.

I was talking about the USGames release, and I hate their new coating. I actually ended up returning a deck because of its smell. Also, knowing its a bit like the Artist's Inner Vision helps de-enable me. I loooove the Artist's Inner Vision, but I usually don't like having decks that are too similar.

Yay!

Voron

Regarding The Archeon Tarot

Fallen Angel said:
They are evil cards, drawing us all in like this, hmmmmm...nope I still want them, any other ideas???

Yes, actually, it is an evil deck. I too, fell in love with it, and bought it, and started to read with it. It gave me nothing but the bleakest, most malicious doom & gloom readings. And even when doom and gloom wasn't merited.

I tried and tried, but eventually, I could take it no more abuse. I sighed, and put it back in its box. If it didn't want to play nice...

I occasionally pull it out to look at it....

(sigh)

save your money. You don't want this evil deck.
(just don't ask me to give up mine!!)

N.B. I ought to point out for the record, that I am a goth. Big tall buckle-boot, dyed hair, black clothes, eyeliner on weekends, etc. So it's not like I'm biased against dark.

Fallen Angel

Voron, thats funny :D :D :D

Im about as far from "goth" as you can get, hmmm still want it though, and it is pay day.....

Im gonna have a sneaky peak at it again ;)