The De-Enabling Thread

mollymawk

Navigators of the Mystic Sea + Book and Pythagorean + Book.

I like the look of the Navigators, and the book came highly recommended. The Pythagorean book also came highly recommended, and the deck itself is supposed to read well.

And I do like reading good tarot books. And my collection isn't that big.

Can somebody convince me not to buy these?

Annabelle

Couldn't say about the Mystic SEA, as I've never owned it, but I strongly advise against the Pythagorean.

I owned the set once, for about two weeks before trading it away. Hated it. The art was awful and unreadable without the advice of the book - which was HUGE and also unreadable.

I know there are lots of discounted copies around in used bookstores (where I bought mine) and on the internet - but ask yourself, why are they discounted? Because the deck is crap, that's why.

Little Baron

I just bought the Navigators yesterday.

The artwork is awesome.

To de-enable? Borders and keywords [to be honest, not such a problem for me with this one].

Meanings take on their own tradition, it seems and book can be a little flimsy in interpretation.

But to be honest, I am really enjoying the journey as I begin it. If I don't manage to de-enable you, come enjoy the trip with me :D

LB

Formicida

The Navigators is DEEP. It's not always easy to interpret, and it's definitely not an "out-of-the-box" read. Mine always wants to "talk" spirituality; it's not interested in light questions. This is a deck that you're going to have to devote a lot of time to, and if you don't have a lot of time you probably don't even want to start. (Of course, if you do have a lot of time and want to learn a new system, I've just completely failed at de-enabling...)

Personally, I think the book is fairly awful. It's a bit "New Age-y" for me, and she often makes connections that make no sense at all to me. It's the sort of thing that probably seems really deep if you're stoned.

mollymawk

Okay, the book sounds bad, but you're really not de-enabling me on the deck, folks!

magpie9

The symbolism on the Nagaters is not recognizably RWS most of the time. So you have to either navagate on intuiton, or work with the book. The book is wordy, but it's where the symbolism on the cards is explained. It takes a lot of reading and concentration just to dig the info on the symbolism out from the rest of the text. It may(not?) be worth the work to you.

magpie9

.traveller. said:
I need to be de-enabled from the New Palladini. The Aquarian was my main reading deck for years, I really like this man's style. Help?
I just don't think the Art is as good..I find it overdone, gone too wispy and sad-faced.

Rasa

Alchemical, and Vetrate

I would like Tarocco delle Vetrate.... it looks really beautiful. I like actual stained glass a lot, and I think I will like this deck, too. I have been drawn to unillustrated pips lately, and these ones look to be gorgeous.

De-enabling anyone?

I have also been considering seeking out an Alchemical deck... I have wanted one of these for a long time, and the price just seems to keep on climbing, so I have held off. I have said that I wouldn't spend so much on a deck, except that last week I spontaneously purchased an illuminated.. which set a dangerous precedent for me!! It made me think, "If I can spend $185 on a deck I just recently started wanting, why can I not shell out a couple hundred for one I've been wanting for ages??"

So, despite the steep price, can anyone tell me why I might not want to get this eventually?

Debra

Me, too. I also wonder if I want an Alchemical. I think I do I think I do...why not?

mollymawk

You lot are lousy de-enablers, you know :p

But, I did find the Navigators of the Mystic Sea site--and I reckon that since I already am working with both Hermetic and Jewish kabbala, I probably don't need to throw yet another kabbalistic system into the mix--I'm likely certifiable already (and I do not mean by some tarot board!).

But but but...she does such interesting things with the pips, and I always put them in the kabbalistic depth that goes with the associated sefira...

Okay, I'm almost de-enabled.

Just push me over the edge is all. I mean, tell me the art sucks? Something?