The Baseball Tarot

PlatinumDove

Since my bf is a huge baseball fan (and I've become one out of necessity...go red sox! :p), I noticed that there is the baseball Tarot. I'm not planning on buying it or anything, but I was wondering, does anyone actually use it, or is it one of those to buy as a collector's item?

Umbrae

Actually there are two ? Baseball Tarot, and Tarot of Baseball. Perhaps one for each league?

I prefer the Baseball Tarot (by Mark Lerner & Laura Philips.).

It is useable. One of the better readings given me by another was with this deck.

And if you?re a baseball fan (like I am), you gotta have both ? even if it is an oddity. And imagine the fun you can have sitting around the dugout?er?living room, using them to predict the World Series winner.

Seems to me we had a World Series prediction thread last year.

Mariners?be nice to see the compass rose in the playoffs...

Chronata

I absolutely adore the Baseball Tarot!

And I know that I'm not alone!

And this is comming from someone who doesn't really watch baseball (or any sports for that matter...)so that is saying something!

I love the illustrations of this deck, and it has one of the better books I have seen accompany a deck.

For a non sports fan...I like the way it combines tarot archetypes with the idea of baseball as a metaphor for life.

And this is my best deck for readings in bars and taverns too. :)

Seems that guys can relate to these cards more than some decks with all the angels, esoteric symbols and nakey women on 'em!

Kyrea Gold

I ordered the Baseball Tarot after it was featured as the deek of the week here (last week i believe). I don't watch baseball (except for my son's little league game) and I already love this deck and it is very easy to understand (great book accompanies it). The cards are beautiful. It has a real spiritual feel to it and I think it is going to be one of my favorites.

Oni

i have the one by mark lerner, i love the deck! i m a big baseball fan. actully i m too much of a Red Sox fan, he hee. but like i could not think of anything better than the combo of baseball and tarot. i take my deck to the games when the red sox r down here playing the devil rays wich since we r in al east is often, and it has not been wrong predictions yet. he hee.

now that reminds me i want to get the other baseball deck now! he hee.

thanks Chronata for introducing the deck to me!

DreamDancer

Many years ago, my husband & I were at DragonCon (a Sci-Fi & Gaming Convention) and U.S. Games had I table in the dealers room. I was in hog heaven, because they had open, full-deck samples of just about every USG deck in print & several soon-to-be- released decks and Stuart Kapland was the guy working the booth. While Mr. Kapland & I had a nice little chat about tarot, my hubby's eyes started glazing over. He was about to wander off to the booth across the way, when Mr. Kapland pointed out the decks that would be coming out in the next year, one of which was the Tarot of Baseball. Hubby was amused by the deck, which is kind of a baseball version of RWS with a bit of humor throw in for good measure. As soon as the deck was released, he ordered the set from USG (none of the local stores had it). He was able to read with it immediately, even though he had not read tarot previously (he did, of course, have some familararity with tarot do to my obession!). Everyone he's read for has been intrigued by the deck, and a few where even inspired to get their own copy of the deck. Any one who is familar with baseball or the RWS tarot shouldn't have any trouble reading the Tarot of Baseball. The deck is currently out of print, but I've run across unopened copies on ebay selling for 5-10 dollars.

MercyMe

My partner knew I wanted the Baseball Tarot -- my kids and he are huge baseball fans, all my boys play Little League, go to games, etc. -- so he mistakenly ordered the Tarot of Baseball for me. I was lost in the baseball jargon in the book, not understanding the nuances because of certain terms and situations in baseball I'm not familiar with. I'm not a baseball fan, can you tell? Anyway, I did a reading for him and he was immediately able to easily associate the situations on the cards to his life as they spoke in a language he could identify with. I was thinking either of these decks would be great as a gift to a child interested in baseball. I have one son who might be interested in reading and I think he'd really like these decks.

~Mercy