Stress / Anxiety

dolphinprincess

Does anyone know what herbs are good for stress and anxiety?

Thank you.

Moonbow

Hi DP

Are you talking about eating them or drying them? The reason I ask is because two of the best herbs are Camomile and Lavender but not for eating! The essential oils would be best then you could put them in the bath or massage with them.

I'll go and look it up to see if there are any others....... BRB

Moonbow

Ah here we go.......

According to my Encyclopaedia of Essential Oils... Lemon Balm is an excellent antidepressant and strengthens and tones the nerves and nervous system. It is recommended for anxiety.

I have this growing in my garden....... and my lawn!! I only use it for puting in drinks in the summer!

I hope some of this is of use to you.

dolphinprincess

I do use Lavendar essential oil... in baths, etc. That does work quite well.

... I was thinking more for eating though. I have been suffering some major stress lately and I refuse to go back on strong anti-depressants (SSRIs). I took them once and the side effects were 10x worse than what they were helping me with...

Moonbow

Ok I will list them all from my book.

Bear in mind that I am no expert but I have been using aromatherapy oils for myself and my family for many years. If I list them all maybe you can pick out the ones that may be useful to you.

Depression

Jasmine
Lavender
Bergamot
Orange Blossom
Sandalwood
Ylang Ylang

Nervous Tension and Stress

Lemon Balm
Benzoin
Bergamot
Cedarwood
Camomile
Cypress
Hops
Jasmine
Lavender

Maybe it would be worthwhile looking up and aromatherapist or herbalist in your area. Good Luck

Gyda

Hi DP

If you want to go with a Tea, use one tea spoon of dried herb to 8 oz of water, steeping time varies. Ones I like are lemon balm, as well as violet (makes you cheery), Valerin(sp) to help relax you as well as passion flower, cat nip, and borge (used for a slight state of depression). double check these to be sure because I'm not a herebalist.

Gyda

WolfSpirit

Used as tea:
Valerian is good, comes in different forms:
as a tea (sometimes with other herbs), or tablets.
Tea of melissa (sweetened with honey) is good to drink before going to sleep.

St. Johnswort: one or two tablespoons in a cup of boiling water. Alleviates tension and unrest.
Also: Lady's slipper and chamomile are used in teas.

Health food stores will often have tea bags with relaxation mixtures, which use these herbs and maybe others, and are often in a mixture to make it taste nice. They will be called "evening tea" or something like that.

Used as oils:
Melissa is also used as aromatherapy: the dried leaves in potpourri, or melissa oil in bath water is very relaxing.
Marjoram oil can also be used in a bath or sprenkled on a pillow for a good night sleep.

Just read you were looking for something to take internally. I would certainly try valerian, I think you may have to use it a little while before it starts working.

rabble

St Johns Wort has pretty much similar effects as SSRIs - so much so that you shouldn't take both!

I have an aromatherapy for stress relief book - with heaps of recipes (blends), listed for many different uses - Anxiety Calmers, Backache Relievers, Uplifting Oils, Skin Tonics, Headache Easers, High Blood Pressure Reliever, Sleep Enhancers, Invigorating Oils, Menstrual Pain Relievers, Pre-menstrual Tension Soothers, Migraine Easers, Mild shock soothers, Muscular Ache RElievers, REvitalizing oils, stress Relievers, sensual oils, travel calmers, digestive settlers, breathing enhancers...

If you'd like to choose one (or more) I'll tell you what they say :)

dolphinprincess

I just discovered something called Yogi Tea ( http://www.yogitea.com/ )

They have some great healing formulas... I ordered the Kava Stress Relief as well as a few others...

WolfSpirit

Yogi tea is great. The classic one tastes quite spicey, I like that. But they have other varieties too.

rabble- what is SSRIs ?

Edited to add:

I can also recommend Celestial Seasonings teas:

for sleeping: Sleepytime (a blend of chamomile, mint and flavourful herbs), package with a cute sleeping bear.
There is also a stronger version.

for relaxation during the day: Tension Tamer (a soothing blend of ginseng, mint, cinnamon, ginger and chamomile), a dragon on the package.

They work for me !