!@#$!! Skepticism crisis!

Aerten

Ever have one of those periods where the tarot just seems not to click with you at all? Where you take a really critical & hard look at it and see that it's so vague and subjective that you have serious doubts as to why you had so much faith in it before? And you think back and wonder, When was the last time I really learned something important from these fluffy little pictures?

For some reason or another, I'm having these thoughts recently. I guess this is because it's been a long time since the cards have given me any good ideas, or suggested something that has concretly helped me.

Have any of you ever gone through something like this? And what have you done to give you some motivation? Apologies if this is excessively pessimistic for a tarot-positive (to say the least) board.

Phoenyx*

At times like those, I take a break from it, and go back to it when the calling comes back to me.

Cerulean

Why would someone like to take a break from tarot?

You may want to make your own pictures.

You may want to only listen to music and write poetry.

You might want to garden and walk and find if nature will show signs of Spring.

You may want to make your own photo albums or look at good magazines for images to rip out and collage

Whatever quiets your spirit, adds strength to yourself--perhaps reading silly books or good books or trashy books as an escape or listening to the radio or just seeing good movies for rent...

Or just exercising or walking and putting the cards away for awhile...sometimes I check out the library or bookstores (used or new) for ideas is fun. Sometimes I just end up looking at greeting cards and thinking of people that I want to write and make
small card designs for...

Maybe you do journalling and don't need cards for awhile.

Best wishes and hope the ideas might help.

Mari H.

WolfyJames

It's never a good idea to read when we're upset. It never makes sense, worse, it comes up with catastrophes. After, we doubt, so the connection is somewhat cut, and the readings make even less sense. Avoid your cards when you are upset, go jogging, read a book or do some gardening instead. Read your cards when you are happy, about happy things that are not too important, so that the readings don't upset you, with small spreads, to build your self-confidence slowly. Buying a book on tarot, or buying a new deck, could reawaken your taste and curiosity for tarot. Try rediscover decks you bought but kind of ignored.

Umbrae

Times like that, I go looking to read for strangers.

When you are speaking to their soul (and you think you are talking bovine scat), lights should go on inside your head...and illuminate you.

lunalafey

there have been a few times for me when nothing made any sense. I never became skeptical. Sometimes I would take a break from the cards, I figured that what ever was happening in my life at that time was something I have to figure out on my own. I usually still read for friends ok.

jmd

These are not usually times that seeking motivation may be useful. For some of us, it may be simply an indication that we have been approaching Tarot from one particular perspective or orientation only.

For example, it may be that we have stepped into the images so much with our heads - with our analytical and thinking side, that their wholeness is 'lost', their heart connection seemingly gone.

Hence why study, which is so important, needs to be balanced with both actual engagement with other people in one's physical environment (not only this wonderful cyber-community), but also reflecting on how a card - any card - may help us in taking steps in our professional, or professionally aspired, life: 'what do I do next?'

The answer, of course, needs to be related to that professional aspect, and reflection on what this tells us of the card kept to a minimum - or even discarded!

LaLa

how about the reading exchange here on the board?

get someone else to do one for your current situation and then do one for them

Like a lot have said here it's sometimes easier to hit the targets for someone else than it is for yourself

OR like me you may be working too long with one deck and getting bogged down in preconceived meanings or expected outcomes - a new deck could give you fresh insight into meanings

and (forgive my impudence) have you considered whether you're asking appropriate questions? I've found going right back to basics "What do I NEED to know" can help clear up confusing interpretations

and (again as has been said before) taking a break can help too - if life is just too confusing in general an opportunity to step away is always good for the soul (go camping - back to nature etc) and STOP thinking about stuff and just DO stuff! (Does that make sense?)

Astraea

There have been several periods like that in my experience, and in each case it has been a signal that a plateau has been reached and with it, a time to integrate and assimilate what I have learned thus far -- which prepares the way for further steps on the journey. This seems to be a stage, a "wilderness experience" of a sort, which readies the heart and mind for greater understanding.

I have found it useful to do as my inner inclination prompts, which usually means not even looking at the cards, sometimes for long periods. Do whatever appeals to you -- as others have said, it might be listening to music, reading poetry, studying a new field, reading with a new deck, or anything else that calls to your heart. At some point, the cards will call again -- and you will be able to bring to them a deeper understanding because you have been enriched.

Aerten

Thanks for all the useful advice, guys. Very very very sincerely. :) I suppose I do just need a break-- you're all probably right about that. Also the idea of reading for others seems like it would get out all those muddled intellectual ideas I have and give me practice with getting to the root energy of a card, and not all the little details and analytical interpretations!

I was very encouraged that some of you have had a similar experience. I suppose I will take a short hiatus from tarot, then, and rearrange my thoughts a little.

Thanks again everyone!