Ten of Swords, Eight of Swords, Nine of Swords

rennfahrer

I get these alot. They look pretty bad. Can they ever be good? Especially 10 of swords. The definition given with my deck sounds horrible, something pain, suffering, misery. Is there any positive side to these cards? What's the deeper meaning of them other than the brief descriptions they give you with a deck? Thanks.

Flidais

I try to look at the 10 of any suit as a beginning (the number 10 can be seen as 1+0, which equals 1). In the case of the 10 of Swords, the positive angle is that the worst is over in some area. Healing or improvement has already begun. There will soon be or already is a chance to start fresh.

autumn star

Hi brh986,

I also get these cards quite alot.

To me, 10 of swords - is like bottoming out- you have reached the lowest point - so, the positive of the card is that there is no way to go but up - things can only get better, you have the chance to start again and rebuild things.

The scary thing for me, is that I get the card in future positions - so I just think that things can't get any worse - things will eventually get better :)

8 of Swords - another common card in my readings - it is when you feel confused and trapped in a situation or frame of mind. You feel like you are helpless to free yourself from the binds that you find yourself in. The positive side of the card - is that you can free yourself from the situation - like the woman in the picture (depending on what deck you use), she can free herself from the ropes that bind her and grab onto the swords in front of her - their is a way out - you just have to find how to release yourself.

hope that helps

autumn :)

Ms K

In my deck, 10 of Swords is associated with gaining wisdom.

The two times it's come up in my readings, it's been actually a positive thing. It means that the querant (one was me, one was my friend), has gained a lot of wisdom from the experiences they've had in the recent past.

But, that's my limited experience. However, for my readings, it's been a positive thing.

HudsonGray

Well, with the 10 you know for sure that the situation can't get any worse, that's a good thought.

The 9 is stress and nightmares, but nightmares don't stand the sunlight so once you logically look at them most of the horridness goes away. We always stress the little things when the big ones should take up our attention. Knowing this, you can pull back a bit and re-evaluate how much the situation actually calls for your continuous focus. It may not be something you need to spend that kind of energy on, so that's a positive right there.

And the 8--there's always a way out of the situation if the person can 'see' it. The lady on the card is blindfolded so she doesn't know that there's a path through the swords. If she felt around with her feet she could find the way out even with blindfold still on. The point the card makes is that the person usually doesn't even try, but if they do, then the options open up again. That's a positive thing about that card.

sagitarian

oh no no no no no no no no! 10 of swords is a great card to get, seriously...lemme explain.

when you go from 1-10, think of it like rating something, 10 being perfect, 1 being "bad"...well, in tarot 1 isn't bad, but it's the start, the begining, the influence, or the seed being planted, the seed of possibility. 10 is the completion, the perfection. Swords represents air, and air represents the mind. Swords tend to reflect on the psychological being of a person. 10 of swords is finally overcoming that which is an obstacle in your life, and usually a HEAVY duty mental obstacle...for example...(and you don't have to fall under this, but just know that whatever this is, is major to YOU)...

1. kicking a drug habit
2. Finalizing a divorce
3. Finishing School
4. Leaving an abstructive relationship/friendship

The list goes on, keep in mind that USUALLY it will reflect only that which is "mental", or what we precieve as being truth due to our own perception of reality. It may correlate with a physical state (pentacles), like getting pregnant after many times (years) of trying to get pregnant. In which case, maybe the empress, or some other feminine pregnant cards would come up.

10 of swords is overcoming the battle that you've been fighting internally with yourself, and "winning". Look closer at the card, the storm clouds are clearing, and you can see a sunset beginning, time to start a new "chapter" in your life now that you've conquered this "chapter".

9 of swords can go either way...usually it reflects being "upset" by something that is "troubling" your mind. Your concious isn't clear, or you keep replaying something over and over in your mind. However, it can also be that rush of pure energy, usually on a creative level...times that an artists/writers, etc can't sleep as s/he is trying to put together a newly inspired work of art in their mind. Or perhaps the person is "stumped", or blocked. Trying to figure out how to make ends meet, or how your going to purpose to the one you love. Regardless, it's the result of the mind being restless, occupied by an obsessive thought to the point where you can't sleep.

8 of swords, you "think" that your "trapped", no way out, dead end, and running out of any type of hope of "redeeming" yourself, or making ends meet. Again, this is reflective upon precieved reality; your mentality. The woman is blind folded, tied, and caged in by a circle of swords. BUT, there is a way out. Your just having to really excercise your mind in figuring out how, or perhaps you know a way out but don't want to take that route...for example, asking to borrow some money from a family member to make sure all the bills get paid. This "cage" represents that of which you believe to be physically blocking you (material), tying of the hands, is being unsure on how to handle it, or not knowing what to do...the blind fold is a symbol of not seeing what can be done, and left to our thoughts alone in trying to figure out our way out of this mess.

so with all three together, I would say that your heavily in thought about trying to figure out how to overcome a major obstacle in your life, feeling stumped, and blocked by this obstacle, and it's really weighing on you both physically and mentally. As if to possess your every waking moment until you can figure your way "out"...the ten of swords showing you that it is possible to "defeat" this physical and mental obstacle, but you need to figure out "how".

I would ask for cards advice, or a key, clue, something, to point you to the right direction of "ending" this situation all together.

I hope this helps ya! I haven't read any of the other posts yet, but I'm eager to find out what others have posted.

Take good care of you always!
Sagitarian

rennfahrer

So what if you get the ten of swords as the "future of a relationship" ? Is it absolutely doomed or is there another way to see it?

Ms K

I think that if you get the 10 of Swords as "the future of the relationship", you shouldn't automatically despair.

Every relationship goes through some tough times, and sometimes they are major battles. 10 of Swords is all about overcoming obstacles and gaining wisdom, and that can happen even in an relationship that remains intact, because there are always going to be obstacles to intimacy, true knowledge of the other person, true friendship and emotional connection. And working through those obstacles results in gaining new wisdom about your relationship, yourself, and your partner. Also, it results in gaining wisdom concerning making the relationship's flow work better.

Ace

brh986 wrote:So what if you get the ten of swords as the "future of a relationship" ? Is it absolutely doomed or is there another way to see it?

it is NOT doomed. But it sounds like you two have hit a major obstacle that needs to be overcome. I would try throwing out cards asking: where do I want the relationship to go? and being sure of what I want. Then asking: What do I need to get past to get to what I want?

Sounds a bit like one or both of you have old relationships that are not finished yet (NOT in the real world, but in your head) that are causing trouble now. If you have a previous relationship and you are afraid this one will go the same way, spend some time picking the old one apart and seeing how this one is different. Just a suggestion.
Ace

rennfahrer

Ace wrote:it is NOT doomed. But it sounds like you two have hit a major obstacle that needs to be overcome. I would try throwing out cards asking: where do I want the relationship to go? and being sure of what I want. Then asking: What do I need to get past to get to what I want?

Sounds a bit like one or both of you have old relationships that are not finished yet (NOT in the real world, but in your head) that are causing trouble now. If you have a previous relationship and you are afraid this one will go the same way, spend some time picking the old one apart and seeing how this one is different. Just a suggestion.
Ace

Wow ace you hit the nail right on the head.

Thanks Ms K.

If you care to comment further on what spurred this thread please see my other two threads. Thanks.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=43600
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=43470