The High Priestess and the Hierophant Walk Into A Bar....

DrMojo

Ok, attention-getting title ...

Wanted to put up an observation that came my way as of late (after too many years of reading cards) that struck me as having some interesting substance to it.

I realize there are various interps on the Hierophant, a lot of which does seem to center around (and this is at the most basic level) traditionalism in spirituality and, when reversed, being somewhat unorthodox in one's approach to things.

When you put these two cards -- the High Priestess being the other -- together and think about their differences, doesn't this make sense --> The High Priestess is the inner, intuitive side of spirituality and religion, the hidden messages that we can miss if we're not really tuned in and willing to listen. Reversed, it is the inability or refusal to even take notice of such stirrings.

Here's what I'd like to suggest -- The Hierophant is actually the *external* aspects of spirituality and religion -- the dogma, creeds, organization, tradition, heritage, "way things have always been done" and so on. Positively put, it is a more traditional vehicle for the spiritual insights from the High Priestess. Reversed, these externals can become corrupted and unorthodox, as when religion goes amuck in terms of control and incroachment and, as such, the darker sides of organized religion and of spirituality itself are expressed. This could be anything from the Crusades to the wealth of the religion vs. the poverty of the people to abuse to the accenting of guilt and shame.

Anyway, it seems we may have softened up the old Hierophant and made it a little wishy-washy while we rightfully see the depth and power that can be seen (or ignored) in the High Priestess. These few ideas suggest a way to put some power and depth back into a card that seems to have gone a bit stale in some interps.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Dr. Mojo

Alissa

Fantastic observations, DrMojo! I would agree on many points you've made... the High Priestess shows us the path to Wisdom, if we dare to walk it alone, and listen to our inner teachings, our meditations, and our internal/spiritual guides. And the Hierophant represents, as you said, traditional paths to knowledge, certainly spiritual knowledge as well, but an orthodox approach, where the information is imparted by an external (living) teacher, and/or book knowledge.

Reversals... that is certainly one way to view the same energetic pattern, if you will, reversed. But, for me, there are so many different ways a message can get reversed, that to see an issue as "upright=helpful energy, and reversed=detrimental..." that I do not subscribe to myself.

I have often had the Hiero reversed show me that it is time for "moral obligations" (another subset of the Hiero's messages) to be put behind the querent, that they must move beyond simply what they may see as "what is right," black and white thinking, in order to get to their next step. This can be realizing that you can no longer hospice your dying father, and you need to get beyond your feelings of responsiblity and morality in order to best attend his needs (one example of how putting morality behind you can still serve a greater good).

For myself though, I do not subscribe to the idea that the Hierophant reversed implies crusades, jihads or other violent, religious actions. The Chariot reversed maybe (Ego calling the shots and making bad decisions in hubris), and maybe even at times the Devil, upright (one bound to the Great Liar, by choice).

Very interesting correlations you present!

DrMojo

I understand your points -- what I was trying to say, I think, is that just as a mother's love can, upon reversal, become smothering or abusive, so can the traditional forms/vehicles of spirituality, religion and authority become debased when reversed.

Now, I should have put in this little aside -- I know that not all readers even deal with reversals. I, for one, can't imagine *not* having the shadings and accuracy that comes with them, but, perhaps, that is only the case for myself.

DrM

Alta

catboxer wrote:As far as I can tell, the symbolism of Waite/Smith's High Priestess card indicates that she's a cocktail waitress at that famous night spot, B.J. Pomegranate's.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=17496 Post #4

:)

Alta

The High Priestess can also be the mind slipping over the edge with too much contact with other-worldy thoughts. Loss of grounding.

The Hierophant can be the opposite problem, a spiritual person who gets too grounded in the affairs of the institutions he represents.

Fudugazi

LOL Marion - thanks for the reminder!

But PJ Pomeranates is in a very conservative country where cocktail waitresses go veiled and shrouded to the ground. I know a few of those. Cocktails are a bit boring there took ;)

I actually see the Pope and the Devil as mirror images: the one the orthodox teacher, who uses ordinary means (as has been said - books, classes, mentoring and other forms of such guidance), whereas the Devil is our Great Liberator - the taboo breaker, who teaches us to reverse and rebel against orthodoxy. Both are necessary for balance. Both, when pushed to extremes, can be perverted.

The High Priestess knows all that - and invites us to find out for ourselves, infused by her spirit, which is wise and protective.

Xander

u do know hierophant in greek means The revealer of holy things right?