the moon

sprite

ok well i feel like duh i dont know what it is but the moon to me i never quite get or explain it right or something. i read the card and just feel nothing. i think fanatasies, maybe reaching for the moon, seeing both sides of the moon and life its opposistes. i was wondering how you all take the moon maybe giving me a new perspective on this card. i dont dislike it i just feel like i dont get it. its been coming up in readings latley and mostly for myself thats probably why i am noticeing this now. i know there are study groups with others interpretations but i was just hoping for a to the point kinda answer you know. well i guess will see where this takes us. thanks guys

Ace

What deck do you use? the Rider Waite Moon never did much for me either, except look a bit hostile. The Robin Wood moon is better, there is a path that ends below the Moons light path with a gap that made me used to think liek that line in a Far Side cartoon: "I think you need to put a little more detail in there." (the person was pointing to a math problem that when along a blackboard stopped at a gap with "and then a miracle happened" and more math)

Think of the Moon as Dreams, illusions, visions but not reality. What you want, not what you HAVE. Maybe that would help?
Ace

Al Si'ra

My thoughts..
The word "lunatic" comes to my mind whenever i see this card...This card is full of female traits..I see that someone (if representing a person) might be totally lost in wild dreams-going overboard with feelings-ups and downs with emotions-being away from the reality-real world-but could as well mean intuition and sharp senses...a time for stillness- a time for going inside..
When representing a situation: Nothing's clear yet- there are some things the querent's not noticing-the things are quiet for now but be careful anyway.

earth en lady

Hiya
|The moon is cyclical ,and so I think of this card as being the cycles in our lives or as in the Osho Zen past lives as well .It can also be to do with the subconcious thoughts that we supress ,rising to the surface causing situations we cannot understand or analyze ,fears rising to the surface ,fear of the unknown, finding our way through the dark .I love the Moon and tend to use it as a timing card ie if the moon appears I think the rest of the cards are revealed and the mystery of the moon is revealed at the next full moon or a new cycle shown by the cards will appear at the next new moon ,but that's a personal thing .Hope this helps...
Blessings
earth en lady

closrapexa

There can be several takes on the Moon, and, as one of the Majors, you would expect that kind of depth in the card.

The Moon is the symbol of the mother, it gives light but no heat, is pure white, and gives us light in the nightime, when all else would be dark. It can symbolize a woman, a mother, intuition, understanding. It can symbolize the opposite of manhood, that is, womanhood and is a very femenine card, in fact.

Another take on it, is that it can symbolize the night. We see the moon in the nighttime, when we sleep, hence the Moon has under her care all the dreams, hidden emotions, fears and other "skeletons" that come out only under cover of night. At night we need be aware of our step, so as not to fall down, so the wolf and the dog are the two dangers that we should face should we leave the middle path.

Hope this helps...

Sulis

There are lots of ways this card can be read.

Here's a few thoughts;
When I say you, I mean who-ever you're reading for, yourself or a querant.

Things look different in the moonlight, maybe you're not seeing things as they really are.

Sometimes the dark is scary - this is also a card about the imagination. Is your imagination running away with you? Are you worrying about something but your fears aren't really based in reality - you're imagining things to be worse than they are?

The Moon rules the tides and also the menstrual cycles of women - I've had this card come up when I've been feeling particularly pre-menstrual. I've also had the Moon come up to signify worries that may be caused by feminine hormones during pregnancy.
Linked to this is the cyclical nature of the moon - it waxes and wanes every month so this could link it to The Wheel of Fortune - whatever you're reading about could either be cyclical or you could be in a phase that will pass.

The light of the moon is reflective - perhaps you need to sit quietly and reflect on something.

There is also a link to the High Priestess card which also contains images of the moon. Maybe you need to use your intuition to help you with a particular situation.

The Moon is linked numerologically to The Hermit (9). I think of The Hermit card as representing completion from within and the search for that. Maybe The Moon is telling you that you need a little isolation to do some soul searching.

The pool with the lobster represents the subconcious with something emerging from it. Pay particular attention to your dreams or maybe it's time for some inner work such as meditation.

Hope that's helped, I'm sure others will come up with even more.

Love

Sulis xx

Goldenhair

When I see the Moon card the first word that comes to mind is "Enchantment". Romance is a full moon. Moonlight softens everything it touches. It illuminates but it is not the harsh light of day. Moonlight makes faces seem younger and hard cityscapes more beautiful. A full moon casts a spell over people, driving them to experience new things, NOW, while the moonbeams play. It may be illusion but illusion can be wonderful. Reality can wait for the sunrise.

SunChariot

sprite wrote:eek:k well i feel like duh i dont know what it is but the moon to me i never quite get or explain it right or something. i read the card and just feel nothing. i think fanatasies, maybe reaching for the moon, seeing both sides of the moon and life its opposistes. i was wondering how you all take the moon maybe giving me a new perspective on this card. i dont dislike it i just feel like i dont get it. its been coming up in readings latley and mostly for myself thats probably why i am noticeing this now. i know there are study groups with others interpretations but i was just hoping for a to the point kinda answer you know. well i guess will see where this takes us. thanks guys

For me, I feel a personal connection to the card, as my Zodiac sign is Cancer (this month is my bd, yeah!LOL) And of course Cancer is ruled by the Moon. So when I see the card or an image of a moon in a card I know it has somethign to say about me personally. But of course that advice only applies to Cancers.

Other than that, the Moon to me is mystery. Something that you can partly see, but are not fully conscious of yet (as the moon does not shine and illuminate as brightly as the sun). It is not something totally unconscious, just something you are only partially aware of. I see a connection between the Moon and the High Priestess in that regard. You often see a moon in a High Priestess card for that reason.

The Moon can also represent romance, not so much love as romance. As a full moon can be a romantic thing.

The moon can also represent life's cycles, phases, or just time passing, as it visually goes though different phases.

Hope this helps.

Bar

SunChariot

closrapexa wrote:There can be several takes on the Moon, and, as one of the Majors, you would expect that kind of depth in the card.

The Moon is the symbol of the mother, it gives light but no heat, is pure white, and gives us light in the nightime, when all else would be dark. It can symbolize a woman, a mother, intuition, understanding. It can symbolize the opposite of manhood, that is, womanhood and is a very femenine card, in fact.

Another take on it, is that it can symbolize the night. We see the moon in the nighttime, when we sleep, hence the Moon has under her care all the dreams, hidden emotions, fears and other "skeletons" that come out only under cover of night. At night we need be aware of our step, so as not to fall down, so the wolf and the dog are the two dangers that we should face should we leave the middle path.

Hope this helps...

Really like your ideas. I find them beautiful.

Bar

Sophie-David

Goldenhair wrote:When I see the Moon card the first word that comes to mind is "Enchantment". Romance is a full moon. Moonlight softens everything it touches. It illuminates but it is not the harsh light of day. Moonlight makes faces seem younger and hard cityscapes more beautiful. A full moon casts a spell over people, driving them to experience new things, NOW, while the moonbeams play. It may be illusion but illusion can be wonderful. Reality can wait for the sunrise. Its wonderful to see how the Moon brings out the poetry within our community! :)

I must put in a plug for our Legend Study Group, I think the team did a marvelous job connecting with the essence of the Moon card, regardless of the deck's context itself.

It upsets me to see Tarot books which still refer to the Moon as a primary source of fear - but yet it is true, if we cannot process what lies in the inner world then its darkness can indeed become a profound source of disquietude. The Moon is both my Personality and Shadow card, the arcana of feminine wisdom, my internal Sophia. For me her connection with the astrological Moon gives this card an equal significance with her companion, the Sun.

Her intimate and reflective nature gives her the innate gift of focused listening, of connecting with the loving spirit of the universe which makes us one. It is she who guides our paths through the darkness. And it is only through her that we can learn to perceive the true nature of the Sun, that we can connect with the essence of the Sun's illumination in a way which doesn't damage our vision. She prepares us to integrate the Sun's intense energy in a healthy, human and balanced way so as not to be consumed by him.

Her reality is just as essential and true as that of the Sun's - the only illusions are the ones we create for ourselves. Only through her does the Fool successfully journey upward into the Sunlight that dawns on Judgement.
Quote:Sophie whispers, "Go to the window, my love."
They go to the window and he looks down on the city.
"Look at the moon. It is mine."