Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Thunder Bay Press Conver Tarot de Marseille - now available in Canada

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks


 
Rusty Neon's Avatar
Rusty Neon  Rusty Neon is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2003
Location: Land of Snow and Ice (O Canada)
Posts: 4,844
Rusty Neon 
Thunder Bay Press Conver Tarot de Marseille - now available in Canada


This deck has been been available in the States for several months already and has become available in the past week in Chapters/Indigo bookstores in Canada. It's in the clearance section for $14.99 CAN. As noted on other threads, the book that comes with it is a RWS-based book so it's not useful for the enclosed deck. Despite this, the set is worth buying for the deck alone.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/TarotSet-mf.htm

Edited to add:

This deck is now also available through amazon.ca

To find it at the amazon.ca website, type the following as search criterion:

tarot set Lyle
Top   #1
rachelcat's Avatar
rachelcat  rachelcat is offline
XII. The Hanging Cat
 
Join Date: 30 Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,403
rachelcat 
Thumbs up Had to have it!


Thanks for the post and the link. The Mark Filipas' scholarly information is very useful to justify my compulsive grab of a irresitably inexpensive deck. To make a short story long, I just picked it up at Borders last night. It is indeed a bargain at twice the price ($12.98)! And the book isn't bad, even though, as you said, it's really geared to RWS. It is by Jane Lyle, author of Lover's Tarot (the one with the oversize majors). It includes astrological (houses) and tree of life spreads and others. Now, on to my Marseille studies . . .

Ooo, and it has a pretty purple scarf (not a bag as the Mark says) included to make it an instant carry-deck!
Top   #2
Shalott's Avatar
Shalott  Shalott is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Feb 2004
Location: Snow Pile
Posts: 923
Shalott 
Red face


...me too (on order)...
Top   #3
lionette's Avatar
lionette  lionette is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Feb 2004
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 861
lionette 
Thumbs up


I've been using this deck actively since the start of the Let's Marseilles threads and I must confess I'm totally surprised by its durability too! For a cheapy printing, it's proven more durable than other decks costing twice as much.

PS: It's become my only reading deck and I will now also confess to becoming a Marseilles devotee!
Top   #4
Shalott's Avatar
Shalott  Shalott is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Feb 2004
Location: Snow Pile
Posts: 923
Shalott 

YAY 'nother Marseille-niac!

Per the scan Filipas made, my only issue is it looks HUGE. Other than that, the similarities to the Camoin Bicentenial make it worth having even it ends up being awkward for little-handed me to use!
Top   #5
Rusty Neon's Avatar
Rusty Neon  Rusty Neon is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2003
Location: Land of Snow and Ice (O Canada)
Posts: 4,844
Rusty Neon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalott
Other than that, the similarities to the Camoin Bicentenial make it worth having even it ends up being awkward for little-handed me to use!
The following is old information but I thought I'd mention it for those who may not be aware of it.

The Camoin Bicentennial deck [not to be confused with the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck] was a deck published in 1960 by House of Camoin. It was printed using the original 1760 Nicolas Conver TdM woodplates. The colour scheme used for the 1960 printing was the colour scheme used in 1880. I understand that the earliest colour scheme is that in the Héron edition's specimen and that the Lo Scarabeo edition's specimen has a colour scheme employed after 1760 but before 1880.

The Thunder Bay Press edition is a photoreproduction of the Camoin Bicentennial, and is thus a deck worth looking at.

Scans of the images (albeit a bit tiny) can be found at:

Major arcana
http://www.byzant.com/tarot/structuremajor.asp

Rods
http://www.byzant.com/tarot/structuresuit.asp?wands

Cups
http://www.byzant.com/tarot/structuresuit.asp?cups

Swords
http://www.byzant.com/tarot/structuresuit.asp?swords

Coins
http://www.byzant.com/tarot/structuresuit.asp?pentacles
Top   #6
WolfyJames's Avatar
WolfyJames  WolfyJames is offline
Permanent Resident of Halloween Town
 
Join Date: 08 Sep 2003
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,927
WolfyJames 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalott
YAY 'nother Marseille-niac!

Per the scan Filipas made, my only issue is it looks HUGE. Other than that, the similarities to the Camoin Bicentenial make it worth having even it ends up being awkward for little-handed me to use!
Rusty showed them to me when we saw each other last week at the Tarot Meetup. They were not huge at all, I found them even a bit small, but that's me, because I prefer large decks. I have tiny hands so I'd say they were average size. About the same size than my Fournier.
Top   #7
Rusty Neon's Avatar
Rusty Neon  Rusty Neon is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2003
Location: Land of Snow and Ice (O Canada)
Posts: 4,844
Rusty Neon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyJames
Rusty showed them to me when we saw each other last week at the Tarot Meetup. They were not huge at all, I found them even a bit small, but that's me, because I prefer large decks. I have tiny hands so I'd say they were average size. About the same size than my Fournier.
Hi Wolfy James,

Last week, I showed the Héron and the Thunder Bay Press decks.

To check relative sizes of the cards, I've just pulled out the Héron (Héron images: click here), Thunder Bay Press and Fournier decks.

The Héron and Fournier cards are almost exactly the same size as each other.

The Thunder Bay Press is larger than the Héron or Fournier.

The Thunder Bay Press cards are about the same width but slightly taller than the U.S. Games Universal Waite or Rider-Waite cards.
Top   #8
Shalott's Avatar
Shalott  Shalott is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Feb 2004
Location: Snow Pile
Posts: 923
Shalott 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Neon
The following is old information but I thought I'd mention it for those who may not be aware of it.

The Camoin Bicentennial deck [not to be confused with the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck] was a deck published in 1960 by House of Camoin. It was printed using the original 1760 Nicolas Conver TdM woodplates. The colour scheme used for the 1960 printing was the colour scheme used in 1880. I understand that the earliest colour scheme is that in the Héron edition's specimen and that the Lo Scarabeo edition's specimen has a colour scheme employed after 1760 but before 1880.

The Thunder Bay Press edition is a photoreproduction of the Camoin Bicentennial, and is thus a deck worth looking at.
Then it is mighty "similar," eh?
Top   #9
Cerulean's Avatar
Cerulean  Cerulean is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 26 Apr 2002
Location: Calif., USA
Posts: 9,341
Cerulean 
BTW, this is one of my favorite 'old' Marseilles


It's a great deal for the price...I only use the cards, when I remember that I have this one! Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

Cerulean
Top   #10




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.