Runes & Tarot

Fulgour

Major Arcana of the Tarot and the Runes of the Elder Futhark:
A Brief Comparrison

"Maybe the blank Rune was there all along
~ but nobody was ever looking for it."
  • ;)

redhand

I do like the Haindl tarot and find the Norse Tarot interesting, but I personaly use Thorsons correspondences.
Fehu - Tower
Uruz - High Priestess
Thurisaz - Emperor
Ansuz - Death
Raidho - Hierophant
Kenaz - Chariot
Gebo - Lovers
Wunjo - Strength
Hagalaz - World
Nauthiz - Devil
Isa - Hermit
Jera - Fool
Eihwaz - Hanged Man
Perthro - Wheel of Fortune
Algiz - Moon
Sowilo - Sun
Tiwaz - Justice
Berkano - Empress
Ehwaz - Lovers
Mannaz - Magician
Laguz - Star
Ingwaz - Judgement
Dagaz - Temperance
Othala - Moon

Rede Seeker

Try it - if it works use it

I have not had the success with Rune readings that I have now when I incorporated the Blum-Blank Rune. If your Rune Theology says that a Rune has a shape, a meaning, a number, and a sound, then there is no blank Rune because the blank Rune has no sound (I suppose that could be considered the sound of silence - I don't know if the original Rune Masters considered silence a sound though).

As for the blank Rune always being there - that is true, as anyone who has made their own Rune set can attest. When the Rune worker creates her/his own set of Runes, she/he begins with the blank tile upon which the Mystery is engraved.

redhand

I think I see where you are coming from Rede Seeker, but I feel drawn more towards the traditional methods, and don't use a blank tile!

job

Here's me wanting to purchase some Runes and this thread pops up :). I like the association with the tarot.
Food for thought.

caridwen

I really dont' think tarot and runes work well together at all! I'm using the Haindl at the moment and really cannot work out why runes are incorporated into this deck. I find them a hindrance to the reading as I have my own idea of what the runes mean and they do not tally with the ones by the deck creator. I'm begining to find them irritating.

The lists I have seen that tally runes and tarot together seem to be random and somehow personal to the person who drew them up. I've never seen two lists the same.

redhand

I agree with you Caridwen, about the Haindl deck. I really like the art work in the Haindl deck, but I also don't agree with the Rune correspondences. This could be a personal choice. I use Thorssons correspondences because they seem to fit better....at least for me!