Spread for the Presidential Election

WalesWoman

The spread I did for the Super Bowl turned out just like the game and even included the scores...so I decided I had to see what the cards had to say about the coming election.

I'm not quite sure how it will turn out, but this is what I got.
I made up some questions, read for Bush and then read it for Kerry- two separate spreads, then did a three card for each for the actual election. What do you make of it?

1. Candidate
**2. His focus/inner drives/motivation
***3. Outer surface/public personna
****4. How people see him/their perceptions
*****5. Reality/ his true colors
6. What would he bring...Domestic issues?
**7. What would he bring ...Foreign Affairs?
***8. What would he bring...Economy?
9. What people like about this candidate
**10. What people don't like about this candidate
***11. What will the effect of this person be if elected?
****12. How people will vote?

Bush********************Kerry
1. 3 Cups Rx*************Justice
2. Ace Cups Rx***********Page Spears
3. 8 Swords*************5 Cups
4. Knight Shields**********Knight Spears
5. 8 Cups***************8 Swords
6. Temperance************3 Shields Rx
7. 6 Shields**************5 Shields
8. Ace Swords************8 Shields Rx
9. 9 Swords Rx***********King Swords Rx
10. Ace Shields***********9 Cups
11. Strength*************King Cups
12. 2 Swords*************10 Spears

How the election will turn out
Bush- Knight Spears/Strength/4 Swords
Kerry- Lovers/Death/ 8 Spears

So what do you think? I'm still trying to figure it out and will post more later.

WalesWoman

There's too many ways to look at this, but these are some of the things that have occured to me through out the day...
Bush
3cups Rx- it could be his sobriety, but I think it's more negative than that...perversity of what the 3 Cups is all about. (This is my unobjective take) I think of the sarcasm, jeering, na-na-na-na-Got you, jabbing that I observed in the debates and in his sound bites- he enjoys denigrating anything that isn't in his vocabulary and idealism. He's not a fun guy to be around at all. How could I forget the "It's Hard Work" hammered sound byte? This job is no fun, I don't like it, but it has to be done stance.
Ace Cups Rx- He certainly isn't preaching love and brotherhood, that's for sure and not about to offer the peace cup to anyone. I don't see peace anytime soon, when it is turned upside down. He may blink and get misty-eyed over his wife on TV, but I have a feeling he has no clue what loving anyone, including himself, is about. I don't think he's a happy man at all and has to do this, it's not the love of the job, it's what's behind it. Using negative emotional blackmail-give me your vote or you will suffer so bad, every enemy in the world will be blasting his way through your front door.
8 Swords is very interesting here...so are people seeing a man so stuck in his views that he can't see the way to get out of this mess? That he is not seeing reality, bound by his policies, so can't get out of them without admitting his responsibility? Or are the people so stuck in their fears that they can't see any other choice, so caught up in the Freedom for Fear campaign and mass paranoid propaganda seen on the nightly news, that all they do is wait for salvation? My own question and I still didn't make it distinct enough! These two takes will be what makes the difference I think.
Knight of Pentacles- I guess an oil rancher and sawmill owner all fit here. Down to earth good 'ol boy, rootin' tootin' pistol shooting cowboy politics, but slow (mentally), getting stuck in the rut of his policies, focusing on some vision no one else can see and not what is going on. Another take would be his serious, sincere, crusade to rid the world of terrorists (perhaps he should begin with the Pentagon and arms manufacturers) LOL
8 Cups for the reality of Bush...The image in the Legends deck is pure scarey, "Chapel Perilous" nothing like RWS with the guy walking away from the cups into the darkness. Some big claw coming down and scaring the heck out of the rider in the chapel. It was a dark and stormy night.... He has left his emotions behind him, or rather his past. He is not willing to accept defeat. Interesting that part of the meaning is learning things are not what they seem. Abandoning a path, changing from past mistakes... this could again refer to his "born-again Christian" status and admitting he is a recovering alcoholic and not perfect. Is he going to change his tactics- after all his speeches about Kerry changing his mind and policies? Nah, 8 Swords.
Temperance for Domestic Issues and policies...this one has got me stumped...unless you take the blended, homoginized version of Temperance- like creating the largest single government agency that is involved with just about everything there is called Homeland Security.?????
6 Shields for Foreign policy and affairs...so he gives Iraq back to the Iraqi's, he has to keep getting their things back in order for them. Also the hand giving to those who need it...with or with out strings attatched. There is the other meaning, of giving what you feel you can afford...not from generosity, but from obligation, and/or to indebt someone. The haves and have nots, he will decide who will have and who will have not.
Ace of Swords for Economy- tax cuts, and cutting domestic programs, cutting foreign aid, lots and lots of cutting ideas....the sword is on the bed- politics makes strange bedfellows? It is the Sword of Strange Hangings and kills the unwary, unworthy...says so in the Legend.
9 Swords Rx- people like his confidence, he doesn't act like he's worried...but in my book, 9 Swords means it isn't an idle anxiety, there are some real problems here and to be aware and on the look out for. So here too are two different ways to look at this, focusing on the positive "in order to lift one out of the pit of dispair" (from Keeper of the Legends) or they are going through a painful retrospection in order to go on...are we back to his recognizing he had a problem drinking and driving and found his salvation?
What they don't like...Ace Shields- his richboy lack of understanding of what the real world is like for working people? That his family and wealth have been a shield...where was he really in 1972? He's never had to work his way up the corporate ladder, he was born with the C.E.O.'s key in his mouth. I can think of better reasons to dislike someone than that... but so be it
It could also be the shield of corporate and other sorts of croni-ism, his backers and behind the scenes makers and shakers. You can't see the wind blowing, but the curtains and leaves are moving, you can't see what is beyond the doorway, but there is something there moving things.
Strength if he is elected: Joined forces, it's not just the girl and the lion, but she is clutching the hand of the crone on a dragon. Is this George Sr's kinder, gentler America joining up with the younger? This one is stumping me, I just don't understand it here. Coersion? Using gentle force to subdue...maybe not gentle, maybe subtle? More and more homeland security- I love you and I'm taking your freedoms to keep you safe?
How will people vote (what a dumb wording on this question, argh!) 2 Swords, they will walk into the booth, close their eyes and blindly make their mark and hope for the best, in the famous words of Frank Zappa "The chances are 50/50..." The ones who do vote for him will keep their blinders on, vote out of paralyzing fear and defensiveness, they will be in favor of isolationism, because they feel isolated and scared to death, shoot first ask questions later. Oh Blind faith, I hear so much of that in interviews with people in the rally crowd.
I'll work on the rest of this tomorrow. I'm Bushed for now.
Feel free to add your thoughts here, PLEASE!

Moongold

Greetings WalesWoman ~

I am not American and don’t know much about Bush apart from what I’ve read here really and some in our own media. Most of that has been brief, however.

The recent deabtes here have increased my interest and I have done a couple of readings on this myself. Besides, the US and Australia are inextricably linked.

Bush

• 1. The candidate: 3 Cups Rx: Does he know how to be really happy with the mundane ordinary things of life or has he always needed a greater sense of mission? Is he in touch with the common man?

2. Inner drive: Ace Cups Rx: His focus and need is perhaps to be the Tough Guy

3. Outer surface, public persona: 8 Swords: There are two ways to see this: His public persona might be of the Tough Guy who stands up in a world where all is against him and people are waiting to cut him down. Or it might be of a man who is anti-intellectual and blind to ideas that challenge the established order.

4. How people really see him: Knight Shields: Yes, people probably see him as the reliable son of wealth, tradition and the American ideal.

5. Reality – his true colours: 8 Cups: He is predominantly sad. Maybe when you are groomed with a sense of such mission it may be opposed to your true calling, your true nature. WW – you mention Bush’s alcoholism. People who are addicts often have a deep sensitivity and a skewed sense of self. He may simply be fundamentally sad. It seems to me that the game of US politics is a very serious, grave game, calling for someone with immense talents. It is a really heavy office and no-one ordinary would want it. Candidates for the US Presidency would need to have huge ego, huge talent or both.

6. What would he bring – domestic issues Temperance: I think this ties in with your 11 Strength in this reading. I got Strength myself in a reading about the US elections this afternoon. The internal situation needs urgent attention. Perhaps an outcome of the angst of the American people in this election will be to quiet the raging beast within. How can you deal with external problems when you have so many internal ones diminishing your national spirit?

Maybe there will be more acts of terrible terrorism which he cannot necessarily stop. Perhaps this will bring your people together, under him.

7. What will he bring – foreign affairs ; 6 Pentacles. It seems to me that foreign affairs throughout history have always been based on trade. Most wars are trade wars. This reality simply remains hidden. The US will continue a foreign policy based on trade – handling out deals to those who need or want them.

8. What will he bring – economy? Ace Swords. Those tax and welfare cuts that have attracted so much publicity?

9. What people like about him?: - 9 Swords Rx. Bush promises an end to suffering of the loss of the American Dream and the fear of an appalling recurrence of 9/11. He is the Cowboys and Indians myth relived.

10. What people don’t like about Bush: Ace Pentacles. He represents privilege and vested interests.

11. What will be the effect of Bush if elected? Strength – see 6. Above

12. How will people vote 2 Swords. I think this reflects that people don’t feel they have much choice. I think they will slaughter Kerry and continue with Bush. Old candidates for US President tend to become non – existent very quickly.

Thanks for the opportunity. I enjoyed it, but am not sure how accurate I am :)

Moongold

Moongold

Now Kerry

Ah WalesWoman ~

You’ve got me addicted!

Kerry

• 1. The candidate: Justice: I don’t know whether Justice in this deck is VIII or XI and it does make a difference but I’ll assume XI. Kerry does have a strong internal conviction of his mission. In the current US climate I assume he is one of the educated wealthy elite but surer intellectually of his worth, his karma, his nobility than Bush

2. Inner drive: Page Spears: I haven’t seen the deck you are using Wales Woman but I know the Page Wands in the RWS is very bright with considerable intuition but an incapacity to put it to practical effect I think Kerry may have a really quite unrecognized inner drive that will find an out in some unknown way. He’s not a young Gandhi by any means. An idealist not a realist.

3. Outer surface, public persona: 5 Cups: The image of grief. Kerry surveys the sadness and internal strife in the US and the mixed world view and represents the grief that many US citizens feel at this time. This grief is projected on him. I am struck by the photographs of him. He has the appearance of a sorrowful patrician. Those eyes…..! People love them

4. How people really see him: Knight Spears: A man in a hurry, convinced of his capacity to rescue the US from it’s current predicaments, I can’t help thinking Another Camelot , huh? The American psyche seems to throw these characters up from time to time. Camelot is a truly American myth now and perhaps Kerry and the Democrats are trying to relive it. It's hard to relive myths, however.

5. Reality – his true colours: : 8 Swords. It is interesting to compare this with 2 Inner Drive. Kerry is trapped in some way. This could be an internal state. It is quite concerning. His outer persona is not matched by the inner spirit.

6. What would he bring – domestic issues 3 Shields: In this context, this is a beautiful image – very unifying. It is the mage of “Team”. It seems to indicate that Kerry could unite Americans through practical vision and the strength of the projections focused on him at the moment . In the RWS, the three characters seem to be in a Church. This means, I think that Kerry’s mission has been imbued with a spiritual purpose by many Americans.

7. What will he bring – foreign affairs ; 5 Shields. Kerry will struggle to change the perception of the US in the wider world. Considering the parallel RWS card at the moment this is a curiously ambiguous image. It could represent the US excluded from the Church of World approval. It could also represent the US maintaining its position of privilege and nationalism in the current world –excluding the poorer, fundamentally different societies – Islam and others.

8. What will he bring – economy? 8 Shields Rx. Kerry does not know what to do with the economy. This card is very worrying here. He doesn’t have the craftsmanship or the inspiration to manage the economy.

9. What people like about him?: - King Swords Rx. Wow – what a difficult card! I think this refers to 1, 3, and 4. Some of the US people want someone to rescue them. They want someone from Camelot to bring back their perception of the American soul. I think their perception of the American soul may be skewed however, based on the past and not realistic in this day and age. They like Kerry because he appears to do that. He appears to be a leader about to lay down the Sword (Rx). This is an illusion and the King Swords Rx is actually quite a severe figure. This is a very complex card here.

Another more uncomfortable interpretation is that he is the best they can come up with but they know it is illusory. They know he is not the real McCoy but there is no-one else .

10. What people don’t like about Kerry: 9 Cups. They resent some degree of privilege and great wealth that comes with Kerry. It is a kind of noblesse oblige.

11. What will be the effect of Kerry if elected? King Cups. Kerry will not necessarily be a strong leader. He may simply be a vacuous duplicate of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. The theme of Camelot and the Kennedys runs strongly throughout this entire reading for me. Even the names are similar. Perhaps he could grow into the role? Who rules anyway?

12. How will people vote 10 Swords. . I think they will slaughter Kerry and continue with Bush. No man can hold the ideals and the hopes that are being projected onto Kerry at the moment. They come from a deep discontent that is looking for a Saviour. The “dream” that Kerry holds needs transformation and the American electoral process will not do this. The dream will die, or Kerry may also end up being a sacrificial lamb. as did Kennedy. Myths and dreams have to outlive reality.

Well, WalesWoman :). It is easy to get caught up in this story

Moongold

MuffinTops

best interpretation of the cards I've read yet!

I think Moongold has done a great non biased reading!
Thanks for your great work!

Alta

Hi all, in response to a query that I have had, threads like this are fine as long as they remained centred around tarot. Tarot is, as most know, a wonderful tool for understanding all aspects of the world.

Edited to add: as I has mentioned to Moongold, I removed her last two posts to this thread which were more generally about politics than the specific throw. I regret this, but feelings are strong right now, and a member reported this thread to me.

WalesWoman

Thanks Moongold for your interpretations, they have given me a lot of food for thought. You helped me see some things I was having a lot of trouble with and made lots of light bulbs flash. Thanks, I have a tough time being unbiased...does it show????

I just spent the last ??? replying and working on the Kerry spread and was all the way to #12, realized I had made a mistake. It should be 10 Spears/Wands NOT 10 Swords, accidently did something and lost the entire post. Darn, darn, darn! So I will try again, only I'm going to write it on Word first...

WalesWoman

Your takes on both candidate is really good, as I said you've given me lots of room for thought.

Kerry
1. The candidate: Justice:
Not only does he try to look at all sides of an issue, he wants to be fair and make reasonable decisions. I think he does have a real sense of justice, of doing the right thing for the right reasons and tries to keep his emotions out of it. I was also thinking that it could also refer to his being an attorney and D.A. before becoming a senator. His experience in area of law and justice.
2. Inner drive: Page Spears The image on this card is a Hare He has good news he wants to share, he's cheerful, optomistic, he really wants to get his message across as being a trustworthy, reliable person, that he has hope for better things to come.
3. Outer surface, public persona: 5 Cups: I agree with your take on this, but also feel that he is showing some genuine regret over the current state of affairs, that we are in a major mess and have much to learn from our losses, but he has the vision to take what is left and go on from there. To take the good and build something much better and brighter on that. I also think that this goes well with #1 and #2, he is saddened by the current wrongs and injustices and want to impart hope for the future, that it's bad, but not all bad.
4. How people really see him: Knight Spears: What struck me in your interpretations was the Camelot image, especially since I'm using the Arthurian Legends deck. I think they do see him as a Crusader, having the courage and commitment of his convictions to bring forth innovative ideas, that he is confident and self assured. Then on the other hand is the going off half cocked Knight that Bush is portraying in the newest glitch of missing armaments and his statement, that Kerry jumped to conclusions based on bad information and took action on it (as if this whole mess in Iraq, wasn't started in the same way?) oh well...
5. Reality – his true colours: : 8 Swords. I found it interesting that this card showed up in both spreads, different positions, but...I think this has to do with the way the game of politics is played, having to scratch backs and make strange bedfellows in order to get legislation passed or not. I would also think that these are the liabilities, his background, religion, party politics and some of the things that have gone on during the campaign, things he can't escape even if he wanted too. So I would imagine this would create some internal conflicts, having to vote against bills he really does want but have unacceptable riders attached for example, so it makes him look bad or that he is changing horses mid stream. Another might be his anti war speeches after returning from VietNam coming back to haunt him, he is bound by his convictions.

6. What would he bring – domestic issues 3 Shields RX This stumped me, but I think I'm getting a handle on it now. I think that there is something about lack of conviction, not following advice and being on the wrong path, I'm not quite sure on this, but think that the focus is on foreign affairs, Iraq in particular, so that funding will be diverted into continuring to try to fix that mess and not leave extras for dometic programs. Also I think this could be the trend of the stock markets in reaction to democratic policies, tax revisions in particular, creating unconfidence in future gains??? I'm still having a tough time seeing this one.
7. What will he bring – foreign affairs ; 5 Shields. If elected he will have to continue what Bush began in the Middle East, so this will be a long drawn out affair, because we can't withdraw without losing our image and will have to keep pouring $ and troops to create some sort of stability, draining funding from other areas that really need it. It's sort of a no win situation no matter who is elected. This isn't going to win him any fans on the anti-war front and his opponents will say he's is contradicting himself once again by our continuing prescense and if he does withdraw, to cut our losses...we won't be able to be relied on or taken seriously. But the hard facts are this is exhausting our resources to the max! We can't afford to continue on this same path.
8. What will he bring – economy? 8 Shields Rx. I think this will be reversing some past legislations, tax reforms and deal with a lot of environmental issues as well. Making making it toughter on manufacturers to out source and make them clean up their acts as well. Well, this doesn't sound like any fun at all, dreading the workplace, shoddy work, depression...I'd see this as the stocks dropping in response to his policies...I don't think the markets like Democrats a whole lot. If he does decide to get us out of Iraq, there would be more downsizing and layoffs in the defense/arms sectors of manufacturing.
9. What people like about him?: - King Swords Rx I agree, difficult card. I was thinking that it's his attack on Bush, anti war without good cause arguments, that he has the ability to used heavy handed authority, but not without just cause. I think he has brought up some real tough issues that tend to be sidestepped and not really are addressed, so he is intent upon the destruction of the "more of the same" by Bush.
10. What people don’t like about Kerry: 9 Cups. Lots of Heinz catsup jokes going around, so I'd say it goes back to resenting his affluence, his social circles, etc. Very similar to Bush as well isn't it. Perhaps it is kindness and compassion, they think he may have too much of it? This card is about overcoming obstacles, success, accomplishment, good health, sharing blessings with others? Maybe they think he will share too much? The Dawn of Dreams...dare we dream of something better or stick with what is predicable? "A team, united in vision, makes success a reality" from the legends book. Got me??? The name of this card is my deck is the Healing of the maimed king, that the wasteland in 5 Shields is restored with the healing of the King (King of Cups). This is about accepting the Grail and becoming the gaurdian of it, to restore the land. Heavy. Your Camelot analogy is playing itself out here big time.
11. What will be the effect of Kerry if elected? King Cups. What you had to say could be too true. I'm going to write what I found in the Legends description for this card..."A mature, dignified man of authority. Someone who may be relied upon for guidance and assurance. A man of strong faith and liberal views. One whose strength lies in his mind, which when combined with his uncanny foresight, is capable of orchestrating and achieving long-term goals. Can represent a lawyer, ...tends to be reclusive and carries an air of mystery." This card also refers to the maimed king, the Fisher King entrusted to guard the Grail, so I find this Camelot scenario very intriging here too. Basically that once it is restored, the Kings recovers (US) and he withdraws from this world.
12. How will people vote 10 Spears. Sorry about the mix up... really changes the way it reads. Feeling tremendous pressure, playing by the rules and feeling the restrictions of them, feeling out of their depth, temporarily suppressing personal desires in order to complete a task. Perserverance... I agree tho, I think people will stick with what they know and be glad to lay tihs burden down, at his door ??? I can't decide on this if they continue with what they know or the election will be overweighted.

That brings us to The Election but I need a break from this...

Moongold

Marion said:
Hi all, in response to a query that I have had, threads like this are fine as long as they remained centred around tarot. Tarot is, as most know, a wonderful tool for understanding all aspects of the world.

Edited to add: as I has mentioned to Moongold, I removed her last two posts to this thread which were more generally about politics than the specific throw. I regret this, but feelings are strong right now, and a member reported this thread to me.

No problems with the removal! It was late at night and I was carried away with the interpretation.

WalesWoman

Moongold said:
No problems with the removal! It was late at night and I was carried away with the interpretation.

LOL I think it's just the way things are right, I got a bit carried away myself and go a little Knights of Wands, waving it around and forgetting to yell "Duck" Speaks before thinking...uh, that reminds me of the next part. LOL

How the election will turn out
Bush- Knight Spears/Strength/4 Swords
Kerry- Lovers/Death/ 8 Spears

So do Bushism's finally catch up with him? Hmmm...Knight of Spears- good natured aggressive, on a mission to rid the world of evil doers...seems like that is his biggest strength, will it be enough or is it time to give it a rest? Will his generally unpredicable strategies win him this one or will it bring a change of residences? Definately unconventional, but trying to reach his full potential.
Strength- He does come off as gentle and caring, but with an iron will, the strength of his convictions. There's something here about drawing on inner resources to resist temptation, so he's fairly righteous, about now a drink might be sounding really good, but he knows it's a bad idea. I'm wondering if understanding the consquences on ones actions plays a big role here.
4 Swords- win or lose, this has taken it's toll, time to retreat and recooperate.

Kerry-
Lovers Choice for good or ill, it seems the whole campaign is about Choices, zeroing in on "W" making the wrong ones.
Death- changes/transformations that are painful but neccessary for growth, the uncertainty that goes with it
8 Wands- often the arrival of good news, fast action, things up in the air. Excitement, a rapidly approaching time to prove oneself
The beginning of an adventure that test's ones limits...
maybe, maybe Kerry is the next President, I'm not really sure.
Ah gee...is it me or is the Tarot just as undecided about the outcome as the rest of us.