What one book helped you the most?

skytwig

I did not expect to like this book that I got at 1/2 price, but:

TAROT, Your Everyday Guide by Janina Renee

is wonderful! I have found her perspective to be refreshing and informative.

An old standby is: Mastering the Tarot by Eden Gray.

SunChariot

Sechat said:
and the Greer and Little "Understanding the Tarot Court".
Thanks so much for this idea Sechat! I am still having trouble getting the court cards. I am definitely going to go out and get this book.

Bar (formerky bardia)

jmd

We each have different interests, background knowledge, styles, and particular decks we prefer to work with.

I suppose there are three books that stand out (apart from the Encyclopedias)... and I list them in order of date of publication, as well as in order of personal importance - for two of these I have written reviews to which the link simply goes to.

Each is very scholarly, but in totally different ways.

From a perspective that enhances and deepens one's personal journey, I have yet to find a volume comparable to:
From a perspective that looks at the iconographic symbology of the Tarot and its plausible avenues of influence, none yet seems to come close to:
...and from the perspective that looks at historically extent materials directly pertinent to Tarot's development, there is still only one reference, even if faulty at times:
  • Ronald Decker, Thierry Depaulis, and Michael Dummett's A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot

Umbrae

Chronata said:
Is there a "perfect" tarot guide?

Yes!

Is there one book out there that can be recommended because it helped you understand tarot in a way that you had not previously?

Yes!

Your own Tarot journal. The battered spiral backed one…

Of course this is all predicated on the assumption that you are going to read Tarot, as a form of divination, for others. Now if you purpose to be a scholar – then I would begin differently…

SunChariot

Umbrae said:
Yes!

Yes!

Your own Tarot journal. The battered spiral backed one…

Of course this is all predicated on the assumption that you are going to read Tarot, as a form of divination, for others. Now if you purpose to be a scholar – then I would begin differently…

Now there is a truly great answer! Great thinking Umbrae! I wish I have thought of it.

I am on my third journal now, and I do read them over and over and they have been an enormous help to me in understanding myself, my life and Tarot. I only read for myself, but I add in not only the reading, but anything I learnt about Tarot and what I learnt in the reading, so I always have that to look back on. To me Tarot is about accessing your intuition and you are the best one to teach yourself that, not the author of some book.

Bar (formerly bardia)

QDaniTeasieL

Hi I'm new!

OK, I think the Idiot's Guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling was an awesome book! It's totally helped me because it pointed everything out to me really well. It goes over so many ways I can interpret the Tarot--not just in events, but appearance of people and dates, as well as distance. It's just overall amazing for those who are just starting out!

*Danielle*

Melpomone18

Honestly, the book that helped me out the most was Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Lewis. When I first started reading even though my intuition was generally right on all of the symbolism that I was faced with was still a little daunting. This book really opened things up for me by presenting everything in a clear, easy to digest manner, and still being just complicated enough. I've read many books since then that were perhaps better guides, but that one stands out to me as the book that started me off on my course to greater understanding.

MeeWah

The Sacred Tarot Unveiled - Allyson Walsh remains my favourite for its contents & presentation which lends to its use as a workbook since it includes space for notes. The first book acquired after using Tarot & amongst the few books moreorless read.

There are four main sections to the book. It discusses symbols, numerology, colours, elemental correspondences & astrological correspondences before delving into the Major Arcana & then the Lesser Arcana, which includes a chapter on court cards. The deck used to illustrate the book is the RWS & even includes reversed images. Has a fold-out chart depicting The Journey of Life through the Major Arcana; space for notes on each card; a card-reading log that can be photo-copied, & more.

I think the book has been out of print; however, can be found on the secondary market.

dadsnook2000

Two books for me . . .

Both of my (most) favorite books among many that I treasure are from Rachel Pollack; 78 Degrees of Wisdom as a deep teaching tool and Forest of Souls as an inspirational tool.

Having been an astrologer for 3 decades, I found "78" to be a complete reference on the tarot and "Forest" to be a liberating force that allowed me to see and use tarot much as I use astrology -- with wild abandonment and appreciation for simplicity and directness. These two books have permitted me to leapfrog the trivial stuff and immerse myself into the full adventure of tarot. For me, they are perfect. Dave.

Emily

Like Melpomone,

The first book that opened my eyes to the tarot was 'Tarot Plain and Simple' and that was exactly why I liked it.

Other books that are helping me along the way are:-
Learning the Tarot - Joan Bunning
Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
Tarot for Today- Joanna Watters

Again all these books are RWS symbolism. :)