Daughters of the Moon aka DOM-Shape

WhiteRaven

Let's talk about "Shape".
So these cards are obviously Round...why?
The only other Tarot deck on the market that has the same shape at the moment is MotherPeace. Which, btw, was conceived the same time as the DOM.

The backs of the cards are a dark purple with a crescent moon.

The author states that, again, that it is a matriarchal approach or I may quote "feminist or wholistic" approach.

With that said, IMO, Ms Morgan could have at least made the circular shaped cards smaller and easier to handle. These cards are impossible to shuffle properly. They are too large. You would think she had them made for a man's hand instead of a woman's. Funny, being such a feminist deck...anywaysss...lol..They also STICK together. Which is really annoying when one is trying to fan these cards in front to be able to draw.

Putting aside what the intentions were and what the meaning is for the circular shape that the author states in her book, I personally look at them as a cycle...yes. A whole...yes. But as for the positive and negative and whatever she is trying to once again change within this deck to some how take more of the male influence out of Tarot...this blows right by me...I do like the concept of using the degree of the tilt...helping the reader see just how negative the message really is. It's kind of a gauge where with the traditional rectangular Tarot, you either have the postive or negative period. With the degree concept, not only can you use the surrounding cards and one's intuition to feel the severity, with the degree concept, you have an added bonus that perhaps a new reader would find easier...and funny enough...a male reader would as well.
Flavio started a thread about men and intuition just this week....and AGAIN this deck lends a bonus to the male reader that feels he has a hard time tapping on the "intuition" part of reading. Two aspects already within this "feminist" deck that would help the men, in subtle ways..but help them just the same.

Anybody jumping in on this?

FantasyWorld

WhiteRaven said:
Let's talk about "Shape".
So these cards are obviously Round...why?
The only other Tarot deck on the market that has the same shape at the moment is MotherPeace. Which, btw, was conceived the same time as the DOM.

Songs for the Journey Home is another round deck.
WhiteRaven said:
"Each image appears as a cycle of energy with varying gradations of postive and negative, blending in and out of one another." The author goes further, giving the example of a particular card and discusses the degree of the angle of the card once drawn and in plain english...the more the tilt..the more the severity or the less positive of the said card.

With that said, IMO, Ms Morgan could have at least made the circular shaped cards smaller and easier to handle. These cards are impossible to shuffle properly. They are too large. You would think she had them made for a man's hand instead of a woman's. Funny, being such a feminist deck...anywaysss...lol..They also STICK together. Which is really annoying when one is trying to fan these cards in front to be able to draw.
Must agree!!!
WhiteRaven said:
Putting aside what the intentions were and what the meaning is for the circular shape that the author states in her book, I personally look at them as a cycle...yes. A whole...yes. But as for the positive and negative and whatever she is trying to once again change within this deck to some how take more of the male influence out of Tarot...this blows right by me...I do like the concept of using the degree of the tilt...helping the reader see just how negative the message really is. It's kind of a gauge where with the traditional rectangular Tarot, you either have the postive or negative period. With the degree concept, not only can you use the surrounding cards and one's intuition to feel the severity, with the degree concept, you have an added bonus that perhaps a new reader would find easier...and funny enough...a male reader would as well.
Anybody jumping in on this?
Hum...not having the book...I didn't know about the degree concept, very interesting. Time to play with the cards some:)

Ace

I thought of round as being a Feminine concept. Ace of Pentacles can be a vagina sometimes for me in readings. So ROUND shaped decks are feminine. I can see the roundness as variations or degree of problem, some tell me the MotherPeace does that too, but I don't know, I suppose I want black or white, it is or it isn't. But maybe Round is fuzzy thinking (in a good way, like Fuzzy technology) it is 95% good and 5% bad....

As for the stickiness, I was thinking of getting the cornstarch out or buying that magician's powder for handling cards.

As for the rest of what you said, WhiteRaven, men need to tap into their intuition easier: I read in a book on ENTERPREURSHIP NOT on psychic stuff, that CEO's almost always listen to and follow their intuition (their gut feelings) to success. If a deck like this would do it, they should go for it, but this is just not the most readable deck on the shelf.

Fastasy WOrld, is the Songs deck easier to handle because it is smaller but still round?

FantasyWorld

Ace said:
Fastasy WOrld, is the Songs deck easier to handle because it is smaller but still round?
Sadly, I do not have this deck:(

WhiteRaven

Ace said:
this is just not the most readable deck on the shelf.

Very TRUE...and this is what I'm trying to emphasize in the "Blooming Circle" thread...when using this deck you have to throw away all that you've stored with the regular Tarot and look at it from the point of view that it was created for.....feminism. This is why I can not see doing a reading with this deck for any man...unless he's the feminine side of a gay couple...and even then.

RedMaple

WhiteRaven said:
Very TRUE...and this is what I'm trying to emphasize in the "Blooming Circle" thread...when using this deck you have to throw away all that you've stored with the regular Tarot and look at it from the point of view that it was created for.....feminism.

When you say "regular tarot" do you mean the RWS? The Thoth? The Etteila? The Marseilles? All of them are different and you have to learn new ways to look at the cards. I wouldn't say I have to "throw away" the meanings, rather that I have to open myself to a new perspective.

You seem very hostile to "feminism" -- why is that? What do you perceive "feminism" as?

RM

RedMaple

Round Cards

When I first got the Motherpeace deck, I found the round cards hard to shuffle, it is true. But I got used to them, and found that the round cards had a definite advantage over other cards in respect to reversals.

Round cards can come up not only reversed, but tilted toward all the degrees of the circle. It is interesting how this can add to a reading. For example, if you think of the circle as a clock, the cards tilted toward three, are coming forward slightly, those tilting past three o-clock, are pushing hard. Likewise, cards tilted toward 9 o'clock are somewhat held back, but perhaps will be coming into their own soon. The ones tilted between 6 and 9 o'clock are very held back, repressed.

You can also see the clock in terms of a moving circle, things coming into being, reaching a peak, and receding in influence. It can really add to the subtlety of a reading.

When I read cards that are not round, my years working with a round deck still help me think of all those possibilities, and deepen the reading, I think.

RM

FantasyWorld

RedMaple said:
But I got used to them, and found that the round cards had a definite advantage over other cards in respect to reversals.

Round cards can come up not only reversed, but tilted toward all the degrees of the circle. It is interesting how this can add to a reading. For example, if you think of the circle as a clock, the cards tilted toward three, are coming forward slightly, those tilting past three o-clock, are pushing hard. Likewise, cards tilted toward 9 o'clock are somewhat held back, but perhaps will be coming into their own soon. The ones tilted between 6 and 9 o'clock are very held back, repressed.

You can also see the clock in terms of a moving circle, things coming into being, reaching a peak, and receding in influence. It can really add to the subtlety of a reading.

RM
This is very interesting. Does the book mention it that way or is that your interpt on the degree system?

WhiteRaven

RedMaple said:
When you say "regular tarot" do you mean the RWS? The Thoth? The Etteila? The Marseilles? All of them are different and you have to learn new ways to look at the cards. I wouldn't say I have to "throw away" the meanings, rather that I have to open myself to a new perspective.

You seem very hostile to "feminism" -- why is that? What do you perceive "feminism" as?

RM

The different Tarot decks you mentioned have not been revamped like this one. There is no comparison. Yes, I agree that each deck and their cards are different. But for the most part, the core makeup of these different decks are the same and there is a male/female balance within them.

As for being hostile to feminism...LOL...you're talking to a Lesbian here dear.. :) And as a Eclectic Wiccan one of our core beliefs are the balance...male/female God/Goddess.

(Out of the proverbial closet WhiteRaven goes...)

When using this deck you DO have to look at it from a completely different angle and there is no comparison whatsoever to the core makeup of the other decks. As Ace posted somewhere, and I have to agree with her, it would have been better as an Oracle deck.

WhiteRaven

FantasyWorld said:
This is very interesting. Does the book mention it that way or is that your interpt on the degree system?

I did quote much of that part but I will retype it so you know exactly what the book said...

Quoted from The Daughters of the Moon by FFiona Morgan

"Other tarot cards, except for the Motherpeasce (which coicidentally were conceived at the same time as DOM, were rectangular and had positive meanings when upright, and negative when reversed. When this mode is examined carefully, one can see that this requires thinking in duality or oppostition. The feminist or wholistic approach envisions day and night as peaks in a connected whole, or cycle. If we apply this approach to other familiar dualities, such as self/other, old/young, spirit/matter, life/death, we observe how differently reality can appear.

The more wholistic approach is possible with round cards. Each image appears as a cycle of energy with varying gradations of positive and negative, blending in and out of one another. For example, the Five of Cups, The Storm, is concerned with intensely troubled water, or difficulty in the emotional arena. It can indicate a crisis or an opportunity for growth, or both, in variations and degrees, depending on the position. DOM hopes to bring a new consciousness of circles and cycles with the creation of round cards. I believe it is important to begin thinking circularly, as did our foremothers who performed rituals in stone circles."

FantasyWorld, this concept we, as Wiccan, can understand quite well as we use "circle" in almost everything we do.