Daughters of the Moon aka DOM-The Witch/Magician

WhiteRaven

Discussion is open............

:)

FantasyWorld

Hum...you about summed it up:)
I will add that the athame is attached to her cord which are in association to Initiation.
I don't know what else I could add that you haven't already written.
It is an awesome card, she does truly signify a Witch!

WhiteRaven

FantasyWorld said:
Hum...you about summed it up:)
I will add that the athame is attached to her cord which are in association to Initiation.
I don't know what else I could add that you haven't already written.
It is an awesome card, she does truly signify a Witch!

Good observation on the cord...and did you notice the three circles? Wouldn't that also symbol the Maiden, Mother and Crone in some way?

FantasyWorld

WhiteRaven said:
Good observation on the cord...and did you notice the three circles? Wouldn't that also symbol the Maiden, Mother and Crone in some way?
I'm not seeing 3 circles.
I do think that basically a witch is maiden,mother and crone though.
I've been told that if you want to know how to be a witch, watch a child at play(maiden).
A mother is a healer,teacher,hard worker and many many other things.
A crone is a wise woman with much experience and much to offer.
All 3 never stop learning. A Witch never ever stops learning!
I notice the circle (pentagram) around her neck, the cauldron and the cast circle.
There are stones around the cauldron but it doesn't look like they go all the way around.

WhiteRaven

It doesn't look like the stones go all away around the cauldron but a fire pit is circular...so I'm presuming that it's also a circle. I look at the trees also as a circle...the card is made so we can see the Witch clearly but I envision the circle of trees around her...I have something like that up in the mountain here in Montreal where there is a circle of trees...

yes...we NEVER stop learning. :)

FantasyWorld

What of the rose in her hair?
Red and white roses are sacred to the Fey but what of it in her hair?

WhiteRaven

FantasyWorld said:
What of the rose in her hair?
Red and white roses are sacred to the Fey but what of it in her hair?

Well...I didn't have a clue...but Google did! :laugh:

and I copied and pasted... ;)

Quoted from the Website of Diane Fenster

"Assorted thoughts on the Rose in no particular order:

• The symbol for the Great Mother as Madonna or Virgin is the rose. The rose is also a symbol for Aphrodite, Astarte, Ishtar, and Venus. So we have a contrast between the inward, enclosed or cloistered virginal white rose and the full-blown sensuality of the red rose. You may say it's another attempt on the part of early Christians to suppress a Goddess image by using the symbol for the Virgin Mary, but in this case I suspect that both images are correct. Also, roses were frequently buried with the dead, carved on tombstones and planted on graves. So you often find old rose collectors sneaking around graveyards looking for an unusual specimen to take a cutting. Most of the ladies I've met who are involved with roses are Witches even if they don't know it. This would indicate the rose to be a symbol for Hecate or The Morrigan (Morgan le Fay). All this means that roses, being symbolic representation s of the Triune Goddess, can be used in spells in lots of ways. White roses for purification of self or sacred space (Virgin); red roses obviously in love spells, but that can be taken further to include fertility -- the Goddess as source of all life (Mother). Since roses do have a connection with death, very dark wine-colored roses would be appropriate in a ritual to remember the dead or perhaps for some type of banishment spell (Crone). For some more symbolic connections, please refer to Barbara Walker's listing on roses in the Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets.

• It was a custom in ancient Rome to suspend a rose over the dinner table as a symbol that all confidences spoken there were to be held sacred, hence sub rosa.

• Rosa gallica is the official Apothecary Rose. Rose preparations were used in medieval times to treat a great number of ailments: to strengthen the heart, liver and stomach, prevent vomiting, relieving fevers and headaches. (Try using a compress of rose water to help a headache).

• Persians connect the rose with the nightingale. Tradition says that the bird cries whenever a flower is picked and that it will hover around a rosebush in springtime until it is overpowered by the sweet fragrance and falls senseless to the ground.

• The red rose is said to have gotten its color from the blood of Adonis.

• The rose is regarded to be under the special protection of elves, dwarves, and fairies who are ruled by Laurin, the lord of the Rose Garden.

• In Germany, a woman who had several lovers used rose leaves to divine which one will be true. She would name each leaf after a lover and toss them in the water. The last to sink was the one to count on.

• In keeping with the Doctrine of Signatures, the red rose is used in an old charm against nosebleeds (red cures red). It goes "Abek, Wabek, Tabek; in Christ's garden stand three red roses-one for the good God, the other for God's blood, the third for the angel Gabriel; blood I pray you cease to flow."

• In the War of the Roses, the white rose was the symbol of the house of York, the red the house of Lancaster.

• If a white rosebush unexpectedly bursts into bloom, it is a sign of death in the nearest house.

I hope that some of the above information will prove useful in your Magickal workings."

Quite interesting I made add.

http://www.compostcoven.org/cnl/diane0487rose.html
Her site...has some craft recipes if you're interested....

:)

WhiteRaven

The next card, The Priestess/Isis is up now :)

FantasyWorld...did you check out the url for the Rose?
Any comments if you did?

Ace...don't worry...we will come back to this...I seriously don't have a problem with that AT ALL! :)

FantasyWorld

WhiteRaven said:
FantasyWorld...did you check out the url for the Rose?
Any comments if you did?
Here are sme tidbit internet findings:

According to J.E. Cirlot's A Dictionary of Symbols, the

"single rose is, in essence, a symbol of completion, of consummate achievement and perfection. Hence, accruing to it are all those ideas associated with these qualities: the mystic Centre, the heart, the garden of Eros, the paradise of Dante, the Beloved, the emblem of Venus and so on."

"Originally from Persia, the rose is said to have been brought to the West by Alexander. To the Arabs the rose was a masculine flower. It was anciently a symbol of joy, later of secrecy and silence, but is now usually associated with love."
The entry continues for several hundred words, and is worth tracking down.

WhiteRaven

FantasyWorld said:
Here are sme tidbit internet findings:

According to J.E. Cirlot's A Dictionary of Symbols, the

"single rose is, in essence, a symbol of completion, of consummate achievement and perfection. Hence, accruing to it are all those ideas associated with these qualities: the mystic Centre, the heart, the garden of Eros, the paradise of Dante, the Beloved, the emblem of Venus and so on."

"Originally from Persia, the rose is said to have been brought to the West by Alexander. To the Arabs the rose was a masculine flower. It was anciently a symbol of joy, later of secrecy and silence, but is now usually associated with love."
The entry continues for several hundred words, and is worth tracking down.

Thanks FantasyWorld :)

So with all that....in a nutshell, what do you see the rose represent in this particular card?

I'm pickin' your brains this morning...hehehe
Want a coffee????

LOL