Rune Study Group: Making your own set

Kiama

Making your own Rune set

What can they be made out of?

I have seen many different materials used to create a set of Runes, and it is entirely up to the person who will be owning and using the Rune set as to what they use. The most common technique I have seen, and one I subsribed to myself initially, is to buy a set, already made. Some of these sets are beautiful, and mae great gifts for others. I have seen some absolutely stunning sets made og gold, jade, amethyst, and sets which use a different crystal for each Rune. I have also seen sets which are plainer, but still as beautiful, some using different woods for each Rune, some using stone, some clay. All are equally beuatiful, useful, and easy to use, except they come at a very high price on ocassions.

Some of the hand-made sets I have come across include glass nuggets, sea-shells, pebbles from a beach, wooden sets, bone or antler sets, and even paper sets! (Umbrae, I'm not really a heretic! ;) ) They really can be made using anything, and usually the materials can be found in your natural surroundings.

However, some materials are more practical than others! It is difficult to always carry a set of pebble Runes, as they can grow heavy after a while, whilst wooden Runes tend to be lighter. Storage may also be something to think about: Will the Runes you carry with you be under pressure? Maybe they'll be kept in a briefcase amongst other objects which might crush or damage seashell Runes or glass Runes? Durability is also an issue, so if you plan to make wooden Runes, you will need to take some precautions during the making process in order to make sure they stay healthy, and looking good as new! Some authors suggest that if you are going to use wood to make your Runes, you should cut it off a living tree, and make sure the tree you cut it off is a fruit-bearing tree. (Apple, yew, pine, cedar, redwood, olive, peach, pear, cherry.) They say this because a fruit-bearing tree will give your Runes a more fruitful air to them, and your readings will be more accurate, your bond with your Runes more enjoyable, and so on and so forth... They also say not to take the branch if it is dead, because the Runes then are not 'alive'... However, this is up to you. I know many a person who would object to cutting the branch of a living tree, ad would prefer to gather the branches off the ground.

How do I make a set of Runes?

If you are going for the paper option, it couldn't be easier! Its simply a case of getting 24 small slips of paper, and writing in ink the Runes, one Rune to each slip. However, if you want to go further with this, you could make Rune Cards. There are quite a few sets of Rune Cards available to buy, Ralph Blum's being the most famous right now. Basically, you just go one step further, and ullstrate the slips of paper with pictures having some reference to the meaning of each Rune, much like you would a Tarot card!

If you want to make Runes out of pebbles, sea-shells, crystals, or glass nuggets, you would do best not to carve in the symbols, as you would do with bone, antler, or wood, as you may crack the materials you are using. In this case, you may want to buy one of those gold or silver marker pens, and write a Rune on each of the stones, shells, crystals, nuggets. Then, when the ink is dry, you might want to varnish them to prevent the ink from scratching off due to overuse.

To make wooden Rune sets, it is alot more difficult, but the Runes themselves are more durable, as they actually have the symbols inscribed into them. To do this Rune set, here is what you'll need:

- A branch of wood, whtaever wood you choose.
- A small saw to cut the rune disks, possibly an electric jig saw or table saw.
- A clamp or vice for holding the Runes in place
- A tool for cutting the Rune symbols, possibly a chisel point carving knife, X-acto blade, screwdriver, wood-carving chisel, anything that cuts!
- Medium and fine sand paper
- Fine steel wool
- Reddening dye to colour the Runes. (Optional) If you do want this, then you could use the red pigment from tiver, minium, red india ink, red candle wax, dragon's blood resin, red jeweller's rouge, or red enamel paint. If you mix a little gold metallic paint with the reddening dye, you will get a shimmer on each Rune! (Yeah! Sparkles!) To be more traditional, for the red pigment, just prick your finger and let the blood act as the reddening agent. Of course, this is optional, and is not to everyone's taste.
- Linseed, lemon, walnut, or olive oil.
- A rag to apply the oil.
- Something to place the Runes on after they are reddened
- A sturdy, wide-mouthed Rune bag to put your Runes in when you are done. This can be made of any material, although natural fibres are often preferred. I have seen cotton, velvet, hessian, and so on... It sentirely up to you.
- Time. About 3 hours in total, so you might consider doing 8 Runes in one go, then another 8, then the last 8... There is no real rush! And we can't have you making mistakes cuz you were tired and thristy...

Okay, you've got all the stuff. You've gathered it all into one place, and you've got your time free, with no distractions. Now you can make the Runes!

1) First, you need to cut the Rune disks. Cut 24 (Or more to allow for mistakes!) half-inch (1.25 cm) thick rounds from the branch
2) If you want to, you can make a ritual out of it. If so, do your ritual thing now!
3) Sand all the surfaces of each of your disks. (I recommend cutting 30 disks, esp. if you are a beginner!) Start sanding with medium grade sandpaper, then fine sandpaper, and smooth out any corners, bumps, and protruding bits.
4) Carefully pencil the 24 Runes onto the disks, drawing the symbols against the grain of the wood. This means you stand less chance of splitting the disks when you carve them. You could, at this opint, chant the Rune name as you draw it.
5) Put the first disk in the vice or clamp, and make sure it is secured in there tightly.
6) Now, carefully either carve the ymbol into the wood, or burn it in with a woodburning tool.
7) Use fine steel wool to remove any rough edges left over from the carving.
8) Remove any pencil marks with a soft rubber. (That's an eraser for all you Americans!) ;)
9) When done with that Rune, place it on a cloth, and complete the other Runes.
10) If you have chosen the option to redden your Runes, this is the time to do it. Start with the first disk you craved, and redden each part of the disk. Set the disk onto the cloth to dry.
11) Do this too all the disks.
12) To give your Runes a soft, satin finish, mix quater of a cup of olive oil with 24 drops of lemon oil. Maybe you would like to add a few drops of any essential oil in too. Stir thes eoils into an the olive-oil base. Work the oil into each rune with a rag. You might want to meditate on each Rune's meaning whilst you are doing this. You might want to sing to each Rue whilst you're doing this too! Its entirely up to you what you do behind closed doors! ;)
13) Buff them all to a oft, satin finish!
14) Apply linseed oil to one side of each Rune and let it dry, then the other side of each Rune and let it dry. You could do this once a year, as it keeps the Runes sealed, and prevents cracking.
15) Now, you have your wooden Rune set! You can do this with stone Runes, although you will need lots of stones cuz you may end up cracking them if you do. You will also need different cutting tools if you plan on using stone. Also, be aware that with stone Runes, the reddening with wear off quite quickly through use, compared to wooden Runes. You could do this same process quite effectively with bone and antler too, so go for it!

To be continued...

Kiama

Buying a set of Runes

This can be expensive. I have seen sets that range from £15 to £50. It depends largely on how much money the creator wants to squeeze out of you, and what materials they use. A set of pewter Runes, or crystal Runes, you should expect to be fairly dear, whilst a set of pebble Runes I suggest you should leave well alone: Such Runes you can make yourself in under half an hour. Be warned, however... Buying a Rune set is much like buying a Tarot deck... You must find one that 'speaks' to you... And, this is why Rune set buying can be addictive, and you may well end up buying many, many sets and becoming a collector! I know one person who is well on the way to that horrible fate. ;)

For those of you who want an entirely personal set of Runes, making a set would be best. That way, you can be creative, and do what you like! Yuo could colour them any colour you want, you could carve them any way you want! If you really were going a bit mad on the creativity thing, you could stick anything onto the individual Runes! (This should bring up funny images of individual Runes, that look as though they're wearing feather head-dresses, or loin cloths... The mind boggles...)

A personal Rune

A practice undertaken by a few Rune readers is to take a blank Rune, and inscribe it with a personal symbol. Many sets you buy today have the, according to Umbrae ;) , heretical 25th Blank Rune, called Wyrd, which was created in the 1980's by good ole Ralph Blum. It is said to represent that which is unknown, that which is in Fate's hands... Often, those who don't want to use such a Rune will put their own symbol on it. You'd do well to ask Malachite about this practice! I don't do it personally, but he does.

Conclusion. "A conclusion is the place you got tired of thinking"- Anon.

Now you have a set of Runes, whether you made them yourself or bought them, gave them feather head-dresses or kept them plain and simple... You are ready to study them, get to know them, and learn from them. If you have made your own Rune set, feel damn proud! It was a highly prized skill for the Norse, and it is even mentioned in the Havamal:

"Know how to cut them, know how to read them,
Know how to stain them, know how to prove them,
Know how to evoke them, know how to score them,
Know how to send them, know how to send them..."

Kiama

Mermaid

Thanks Kiama!
I'm definately going to give this a go - tho I might wait till I've read some more of the study group lessons so I know a bit more about what I'm actually making! :D

Mermaid

Umbrae

The end result of purchasing, or making your own set of Runes, is…do they work…for you (not me...it does not matter what I think...this is about YOU).

Do you feel good with them…and they you?

We will be discussing bonding with, or imprinting Runes that you may have purchased, or may have been given.

I have done both. Both…purchased and made them.

Frankly, it comes down to this. I prefer stone to wood. I hate metal, glass, or ceramic.

The issue with tissue (okay…paper) is fine…if you make them yourself.

I dislike the cutesy artists interpretation of a rune you find in commercial cards.

The bottom line is what does the Rune stave/stone say to you when you look at it?

I like pure (it's only me...).

Umbrae

The 25th Rune…

Very similar to adding a letter to the Alphabet. Hey! 26 letters is not enough! Lets make up a Sluggo and add it in after the Zed!

Just an opinion (mine).

I however have to thank Mr. Blum for reminding folks that this oracular device existed.

zorya

i haven't decided on my materials yet, but am considering using mixed woods as i have access to lots of different trees. does each rune have a particular wood that would best represent it? ie birch, oak etc. also curious as to what kind of bone one might use? it seems like it would be easy to carve. *zorya hopes she's didn't just creep everyone out* if i use stone, do you think using a power drill would be inappropriate? or would it be better to paint them? i tend to be a purist in these kinds of things :). so many choices, maybe i'll have to make several sets!

Kiama

UmbraeL: Yep, paper runes are heretical and the people who use the Blank Rune should be strung up. Only kidding guys! ;) :p But, Umbre... The English alphabet wouldn't have had the same number of letters in it, had it not been for the Romans, who added some in later....

Zorya: If you want to try using a power drill on stones, just get any old stone, one like what you will be using, and give it a try! I can't tell you for yourself, cuz I'm used to wood-working, not ston-working! About different woods: I think I have a book somewhere at home which tells you the correspondances for each Rune... Not sure if it does trees though. However, some of the Runes definitely represent trees, such as Berkana, which represents the Birch tree, and the Rune that represents the Yew tree... But not all do.

Bone... I think any bone would do, as long is you can make it into Runes! I don't recommend the femur though, cuz that's hollow. Maybe antler (Which is a type of bone) would be easiest here, cuz that isn't hollow, I don't think, so, like a wooden branch, can be sliced into disks.

Hope this helps!

Kiama

kayne

Well done Kiama! Great info there. :D

I made these rune cards in 1995 when I first became interested in divination. I wanted them to be about the size of normal runes and to be put on very thick card or laquered onto wood to be used like runes traditionally are. I was three runes off finishing them so I never actually made them up... I split them in two so I could fit them on here to show you.

This is the first half of them...

Attachments

• runes1.jpg
    runes1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 231

kayne

And here is the second half...

Attachments

• runes2.jpg
    runes2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 195

Umbrae

Sure the Romans added a few letters, started changing the calendar, but did they add letters to the Futhark? Or the Hebrew alphabet?
Sure the Romans sent Marco Polo out for Chinese take out, now folks dine on spaghetti and think it's Italian!
Just because a lie is well aged, does not validate it.
But as I have stated…it is only an opinion.