Thoth without the taglines?

Emily

The keywords don't bother me but I like Rusty Neon's idea of buying a different language deck. I have the Spanish Morgan Greer and the Rider Waite Spanish and it's different, like seeing the decks in a new light. A Spanish Thoth would mean that the keywords wouldn't be that apparent (unless you speak Spanish lol ) :D

tzuki

The deck that I use for readings for friends & clients is a Thoth deck, but trimmed. So that only the paintings remain.

It looks fabulous!!

I was almost compelled to do it, but my 'sensible' reasons were
a) to make it smaller & therefore easier to handle for those who struggled
b) to stop folk reading the titles & over-reacting!!!
Ha!

Once I'd done it, I was amazed at how gorgeous they looked & have been recommending it ever since.

I wouldn't circumcise my original deck, but all the 'working' Thoth decks get done!
The images seem almost liberated!

Aure

Rusty Neon said:
The Thoth deck is available in a number of different languages. If you buy a deck with keywords in a language that you're not familar with, the keywords might not be as distracting.

I agree!! Why not choose a language that is not a germanic language and which you most likely won't understand: Finnish!! :D Plus, not everyone is going to have these cards so there's the collector's value as well...

If anyone is interested in getting the Finnish edition, I might be able to acquire them and maybe trade/sell...

f. silvestris

"And why would you cut any cards!!!!!

That's almost sacrilige."

I can't say that I would trim my Thoth, but I think any deck with a copyright statement in the margin is fair game.

Grigori

Rusty Neon said:
If you buy a deck with keywords in a language that you're not familar with, the keywords might not be as distracting.

A great idea! I just ordered a Serbian Thoth deck from Tarot Garden. Now I have the large english version for studying, and the smaller Serbian size for public readings. (They also had a couple other languages, but all based on the germanic alphabet, so I went for the more exotic latin one)

Hopefully the picture quality will be OK.

Rusty Neon

similia said:
A great idea! I just ordered a Serbian Thoth deck from Tarot Garden. Now I have the large english version for studying, and the smaller Serbian size for public readings. (They also had a couple other languages, but all based on the germanic alphabet, so I went for the more exotic latin one)

Hi similia,

Having read your post, I searched with the search function on Tarot Garden's website for in-stock and off-line inventory, and didn't find any Serbian or other non-English language Thoth decks. Are they on a separate listing somewhere that you found out about by e-mail? Thanks.

paradoxx

hint, don't put any spaces between the cards and overlap the kewords with another card. now this will leave a few with the taglines, but it should accomodate your needs.

Grigori

Rusty Neon said:
Having read your post, I searched with the search function on Tarot Garden's website for in-stock and off-line inventory, and didn't find any Serbian or other non-English language Thoth decks. Are they on a separate listing somewhere that you found out about by e-mail? Thanks.

No they weren't listed on the website. I sent an email asking if they were able to get me one (after vainly trying to interpret foreign language versions of Amazon) and they replied with a list of what was available.

I emailed a few different places, and TarotGarden were the first to respond (and only one so far)

They were only slightly more expensive than the standard versions.

Rusty Neon

similia said:
They were only slightly more expensive than the standard versions.

similia,

What language versions did Tarot Garden have available?

Thanks!

Grigori

Rusty Neon said:
What language versions did Tarot Garden have available?

Thanks!

In the size I requested:
German
Hungarian
and Yugoslavian/Serbian (although I think I got the last one of these)

I didn't ask about the other sizes. There might be many other options. Probably this is something that is frequently changing.

Also they may be able to get one in if you have a language in mind. (I'd never thought about how these things work before today, so I don't really know). I asked Tarot Garden because chat on this forum had given me the idea they are very helpful in such things.

I'd send them an email. They replied to me within a few hours, although time zones etc. would be a factor.