Thoth without the taglines?

Leopard

similia said:
I agree very much! Even a fine thin border would be OK, but I'd love to see the Thoth borderless. I've recently seen a couple decks without borders, and they are so much more appealing visually. With artwork like the Thoth I imagine it would be even more spectacular.

Even with the titles removed, I don't think I would see the cards differently, as I already know the titles, etc. Although if someone was learning the Thoth obviously the titles would be best to use initially.

The few times I've used the Thoth for others, they've found the titles quite confronting. So there is the appeal of them not knowing the name of the cards, so they have to wait for my interpretation to really react. (Although obviously much of the artwork screams the meaning to anyone who actually looks) ;)

I just cut the boarders off my Thoth cards last week because the tags were annoying me.... and i'm really glad did. The cards seem to have so much more meaning. The images are wonderful and more vivid.. It also allows me to use my intuition more.

I highly recommend to anyone to cut the boarders off if you feel the same way.

Cheers
Leopard! :)

SophieBlue

Cutting cards?

Hi I am new to this forum and loving what I have read so far. I didn't see this covered yet, so I am curious: how do the decks feel in your hands after you cut the edges off? My RWS deck is nice and flexible with the edges softened and smooth. Morgan Greer and Cosmic are getting there. I would be afraid to cut the edges off a deck for the way it would change, be rough on the edges and uneven, or with sharper corners. I would love for publishers to put out alternate, borderless versions of the cards. Any thoughts?

Otherwise I say you and the cards have your own relationship and you can modify them as you see fit. :)

Imagemaker

The corners aren't sharp aftr you use a corner rounder to curve them, and the edges aren't sharp either, on any of my trimmed decks. The cardstock provides the same edge as when it's cut by the publisher's machines, which is probably a stamp-cut process.

I've never regretted trimming a deck, mostly because the size is better in all cases, plus improving the image.

SophieBlue

Thanks, Imagemaker. I may go try this soon. What is a corner rounder and where would I find one?

Leopard

Yep... a corner rounder is way to go! :)

Breathhh

WHY did I do it??!!

I'm a trimmer of the Thoth deck.. Had to... Had to... I have several Thoth decks, so I only trimmed the one I read with. Words are powerful and for me That single word limited my reading, for myself and other. As that is the First huge hit you have of the card, I found that others couldn't let go of the word and made that the whole message/story of the card. That did not work for me. This decks wonder, mystery, magic, symbology, and sheer beauty is so much richer than a word.
soo... bye bye edges and words... I do like rusty neons idea of getting them in a foreign language. That actually sounds fabulous. Really creates a sense of mystery to those gaze upon these images. It would be great if the publishers made a deck for us trimmers...
Hey, who said it was naughty and deserved a spankin'? hummm???
teehee..
breathhh

Leopard

Breathhh said:
I'm a trimmer of the Thoth deck.. Had to... Had to...words are powerful and for me That single word limited my reading, for myself and other. As that is the First huge hit you have of the card, I found that others couldn't let go of the word and made that the whole message/story of the card. That did not work for me. This decks wonder, mystery, magic, symbology, and sheer beauty is so much richer than a word.
soo... bye bye edges and words... I do like rusty neons idea of getting them in a foreign language. That actually sounds fabulous. Really creates a sense of mystery to those gaze upon these images. It would be great if the publishers made a deck for us trimmers...
Hey, who said it was naughty and deserved a spankin'? hummm???
teehee..
breathhh

Hey Breathhh... I couldn't agree with you more.... those damn words really distracted me .... Initially I was a little hesitant and felt that it was wrong to cut such a beautiful deck.... but reading the posts from other trimmers...gave me the excuse I needed to rid those damn words ;) I love my Thoth so much more now. Agree...they should make one without the words.

Cheers
Leopard :)

Whitney

I don't think I can cut off the taglines. I agree with Lillie.

gregory

I have trimmed one. It is STUNNING. No titles, no taglines, no borders.

AND you can see all the geometry.