Remedy for gout

raeanne

Hi all,
I have been a gout sufferer for several years. The strange thing is, I get gout in the back of my hands and the tops of my feet which the doctors have been puzzled by. I love to knit, crochet, and, my favorite handiwork, tatting. The gout got so bad that if I did any of these crafts for more than 5-10 minutes in a day, the following day my hands would be so badly affected that my fingers would be curled into a loose fist and I would not be able open my hands. Just try and do anything with your hands in fists! I had been forced into giving up on my handiwork. Anyway, thanks to the wonderful Internet I found a couple of old remedies. The first one I tried was black cherry juice. Now the grocery store had a bottle of 100% juice and the label said black cherry. This didn't work for me but when I looked at the ingredients, it was mostly apple juice and grade juice. Cherry juice was the third on the list. Guess that explains why it didn't work. The second thing I had found on the Internet was celery seed. Well, I had some in my spice rack. These little seed are very small and very bitter. I put about a fourth of a teaspoon in my hand and popped it in my mouth. Bitter indeed! I did this twice a day and not a bit of gout! The other day I was making some little tatted Christmas wreaths for give-aways at work. Each wreath took about 30 minutes to make. I made 11 of these on Saturday! That's 5 and a half HOURS of tatting! NO GOUT!!! I just wanted to share this info with all of you. If you know of anyone that suffers from bouts of gout, please share this info with them. I'm sure there is a way to put the celery seeds in some type of capsule so the bitterness wouldn't be a problem for people. For me the bitterness is the sweetest taste because it has given me back the use of my hands for the crafts I enjoy!

Bean Feasa

raeanne said:
. I just wanted to share this info with all of you. If you know of anyone that suffers from bouts of gout, please share this info with them.
Raeanne, I'm glad to hear you got such speedy and simple relief from your gout, and thanks for posting the remedy. I'll be sharing it with my mother-in-law who's 83, and who recently had a very bad time with gout - in her hands also. Her doctor prescribed tablets which only helped the gout very slightly and in the process conflicted with her blood pressure medicine, and she ended up with bad head and neck pains and generally feeling really rotten. It's all died down now, but in the future I'll be arming her with celery seeds.
Thanks again :)

Ulfdis

In addition to celery seed, you can also use Turmeric & Bromelain. My partner had a mild case of gout, not debilitating, but definitely painful. A friend had recommended the Turmeric & Bromelain if we couldn't find celery seed. We eventually found both. The Turmeric is kinda harsh on the stomach, so take it after a meal.

Emily

Thanks for posting these remedies - My hubby has periods of gout in his big toe of all places, really cripples him up, he can't get his shoe on and then when he does he can barely hobble. I'll be getting celery seeds for the next flare-up. :)

Carla

My husband has been diagnosed with gout today. I have read about celery seed elsewhere, also nettle tea and black cherry concentrate. Any other ideas for reducing uric acid?

tarotbear

I only found out about the tart cherry juice the other day - through AARP's newletter. Tried to find JUST cherry juice and mostly it's mixed with other stuff (like raeanne said). So, where can you find Cherry ONLY juice? Is there a company that puts it out? I settled for Cran-Cherry since it has fewer flavors.

Bhavana

I have heard this too, and think it seems like a great remedy with none to very low side effects. Celery seeds help lower uric acid levels, which treats gout - but they also act on muscle contractions and as an antinflammatory, helping with the awful pain caused by gout.
Celery seeds are supposedly good for tx or athritis too, and are a diuretic, making you drink more water, which also helps to treat and prevent gout.

While many natural treatments don't help, many do...you just have to be careful, natural does not always mean better. I took valerian root once to help me sleep and my entire body broke out in these huge red hives. These spices and herbs are still "drugs" and should be treated as such. So use with caution - but, imagine the money that could be saved on doctors and the medications given for gout, like allpurinol. I hope this great natural treatment continues to work for you.

(another remedy to save you a trip to the dermatologist - you know those tiny little moles that are called skin tags? They aren't cancerous, just annoying. Get a little bottle of pure lemongrass oil from a health food store or whole foods.($8 to $12) Use a q-tip or small paint brush to dab a little of the oil on the mole every day, taking care not to get it on surrounding skin...dries them right up, within a week they just fall right off)

These are the things that doctors don't want you to know!!

Carla

I only found out about the tart cherry juice the other day - through AARP's newletter. Tried to find JUST cherry juice and mostly it's mixed with other stuff (like raeanne said). So, where can you find Cherry ONLY juice? Is there a company that puts it out? I settled for Cran-Cherry since it has fewer flavors.

I just read in a book about gout that I checked out from the library that cranberry juice is the only fruit juice to create acidity levels high enough to suppress the growth of bacteria in the bladder--that's why it's good for infections. But the acidity is NOT good for urate levels, so cranberry juice should be avoided by those with high uric acid levels. It sounds like the cran might cancel out the cherry in this instance.

Mona18

Thank you!!

My dad had gout a few weeks ago, any my Lord he almost cried!!!!

Thanks for this, I have forwarded the info to my mother!!

Emily

We did try the celery seeds but they were too bitter for hubby and upset his stomach. We did find out that certain foods trigger the gout, prawns and shellfish, crab etc will set it off in hours.