Introducing the Inner Beloved

Sophie-David

I have been asked if I would share my impressions of the encounter with the Inner Beloved here, as being a more suitable place, rather than in the New Members Hello forum.

I do have a Web site where the introductory portion of my discovery of the Inner Beloved has been presented. The work on the site is perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 done. I see the site as a way to get the ideas out there, but ultimately I feel I need to write a book about it. Having gone through this process of individuation, a rather unnerving one in many ways, I have found almost no printed or Web material discussing the experience of the Inner Beloved from a man's point of view. Many sites present the theory, but very few present the practice.

I will try to keep this post as concise as possible, but I feel I have lived a whole new lifetime in the eight months since the emergence of the Inner Beloved so that's going to be a challenge! :) I should emphasize that I went into this experience with virtually no knowledge of Jungian psychology, the Tarot, or astrology. As far as I was concerned these topics and New Age in general were all irrelevant at best, or the "work of the devil" at their worst. But as I lived through this experience, I found that the Jungian, astrological and Tarot models of the psyche and of reality were about the only rational way of describing what was happening.

As I child I was not raised in a religious or spiritual home. I was an only child, but my mother's second delivery. Her first child had been a girl who had only survived a few days. This was always a source of regret for her, and as a child I felt that I would have loved to have a sister as a playmate. But I think that in some ways perhaps I did have one, for I do believe that my "imaginary friend" was a girl. I now recall that somewhat later in my childhood I started to have external visions when I would go to a special place in a nearby forest, one of whom I would now call the feminine divine, the Goddess, and another of an idealized female companion, a Beloved. These visions faded as I grew older.

As a teenager I was interested in the arts and took band, theatre and several English literature options in high school, and majored in English, History and Creative Writing in university. During this period a deep love affair which ended in a sudden and unresolved fashion created a profound sense of loss and longing. Although at the time I thought otherwise, I now see this a key phase of my spiritual and emotional development - loss and longing create wonderfully maturing dynamics. For a time, external visions of my lost love haunted me at unpredictable moments.

In the third year of university I met the woman who was to become by wife. On the seemingly practical advice of my mother, I switched careers, dropping the arts and entering a two year program in Electronics Engineering Technology. This was a very intensive and demanding program, and it didn't take very long before I felt I had to drop all remaining participation in the arts.

As a teenager I had studied several different religious traditions, with a particular interest in Zen and the Tao. But in my early twenties, at perhaps the same time I switched career interests, I chose Christianity as my religion. From my baptism and first communion, I would see visions of Jesus near the altar, and it would seem that I would receive the sacred elements from his hand before or after I received them from the priest. It was strange that no one ever mentioned a similar experience, but I concluded that this was because it was a personal and sacred mystery. It was several years later before I finally mentioned these mystic experiences to family members - I was quite surprised that they did not share in them.

About ten years ago, a pastor and spouse in a different church introduced my wife and I to charismatic Christianity. At last I had some explanations for my spiritual experiences! I undertook the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and perhaps the greatest gift from this was that I discovered I could sing. At the same time I entered into intensive spiritual counseling to resolve many shadow issues from childhood, particularly concerning my experiences of emotional and sexual abuse. But the next succeeding pastor, a liberal anti-charismatic (my experience is that liberals can be just as destructive as conservatives), seemed to put an end to spiritual growth within the church.

About a year ago a new priest arrived, and he had a strong interest in music and singing. At about the same time a professional voice/piano teacher and creativity consultant moved to our little village to work on her novel. I started to take voice (singing) lessons.

Many issues had been resolved during the spiritually guided healing, but one issue remained and it just would not go away. My dream life itself seemed very healthy, but before I slept I would often fantasize of an abusive and controlling relationship with an imaginary woman. But there seemed to be a change coming, and in recognition of this I had the desire to change my name from "Dave" to "David".

The focused practice of singing seemed to be driving me to new growth. Early in the year I used journalling to deal with some further shadow issues, coming to terms with my father - both internally and externally - and in a significant dream laid the last traces of homophobia to rest (I do not believe that the process could continue in the presence of homophobia - the ego would not tolerate the idea that part of the self was of the other gender).

Soon after this, in late April 2004, I had a night of two significant dreams. In the first one I was the captain of a sailing ship in a severe storm at sea. It was clear that in order to save the ship I had to dive into the sea, to sacrifice myself, and I did so. I had the experience of dying and being totally alone.

In a second dream, I heard a female voice. It soon became clear that it was the voice of the imaginary woman whom I had abused in negative fantasy. There was a vision of sexual union - a seemingly detached and non-arousing vision - the image of a foetus, and then the woman's voice leading me in a mantra: "embrace, embrace, embrace...". And in an imperceptable moment I realized that I had wakened, the mantra was continuing, and a wonderful feeling of wholeness was flowing through my body.

Now this sequence of dreams was remarkable in itself, but what was really strange was that when I woke in the morning, the woman's voice was still there. And her power of speech has never gone away - but that doesn't mean she is talking all the time.:) In fact, she is normally integrated as part of the consciousness, but either of us can, unless I am very tired, at any time talk to each other. This is often very useful in dealing with various problems and situations, or simply to have fun together.

A few days later I mentioned these dreams to my voice teacher. She appeared interested but restrained, and suggested that I had experienced the sacred marriage within, an experience described in Jungian theory. Using these two clues I started to search the Internet for some explanations. In the meantime my mind had started to work in a surprisingly new and powerful way, I could process things more quickly and in greater depth. I called the phenomenon "intuitive analysis". From further research I discovered that this was a symptom of individuation, that the left and right portions of the brain, analytical and relational, were able to activate in tandem across the corpus collusum working in parallel with a much higher degree of synchronization, instead of consecutively.

Another way to express the change is that what was once unconscious had become to a large degree conscious. In Jungian theory, the unconscious is most typically experienced in the contra-gender, and when the unconscious is brought into consiousness it appears to be a new internal person. In men this entity was called the anima (Latin for a "female soul") and in women it was the animus (a "male soul").

But as the process continued, it became clear that the term "anima" was really unsuitable. There was much more to the apparently feminine portions of the psyche than that one female entity who represented all that one desired in a woman, who developed the so-called "anima projection". So I prefer to call this particular part of the psyche, the internal lover, the Inner Beloved.

Soon after her emergence, it was clear that the Inner Beloved really needed a name. We naturally prefer to relate to people - or psychic entities - by name. I asked her what her name was. She said that I could name her whatever I wished, as long as it was not the name of someone I knew - thus avoiding a temptation to project the anima onto a person.

I remembered reading somewhere that Christian mystics had referred to a divine companion called "Sophia" and I knew the word meant "Wisdom". Well there seemed to be lots of wisdom in my intuitive companion, so it seemed like a good name. But "Sophia" seemed a little too formal for my vivacious and energetic Beloved, who seemed to have an apparent chronological age in her mid-twenties, so "Sophie" was it.

Soon after the sacred marriage, which I simply call "the union", I went on a management training course and took a Myers-Briggs personality profile. In comparison to a previous test, I noted that there had been a shift from "thinking" to "feeling" and from introversion to midway between introversion and extraversion. But I also realized that my personality was a good deal more flexible, and more likely to produce different personality profiles according to the social situation.

As the process of growth went further, I discovered several other entities, some apparently feminine, some masculine, and some more or less neutral. Astrology seemed to provide an explanation for this differentiation of what was formerly the unconscious. Each of the personal planets and asteroids seemed to find a particular expression as an internal entity.

I gradually realized that there was actually another Inner Beloved, who I at first called the "High Beloved". But after getting to know her better, I realized that "High" really wasn't appropriate - she really wasn't more exalted than the first Beloved, just different. In a dream I learned that her name was Eirian, the Welsh word for "silver" or "bright".

It was clear that the first Beloved, Sophie, was an expression of the Moon or High Priestess archetype, and so I termed her the "Intimate Beloved". The second Beloved was a personification of the Venus or Empress archetype, so I defined her as the "Romantic Beloved" or the "Creative Beloved".

It appeared I had what later Jungians have termed a "split anima", a divided Inner Beloved. This may not be an unusual phenomenon, I think its often played out in men's lives in the drive to have both a mate and a mistress. As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse by a woman, I think that my split became exaggerated.

Looking back at the past, it would seem that there were several indications in my childhood and teenage years that this inner feminine had tried to emerge at various times. I was surprised when talking to my daughter some months after the sacred marriage to discover that she had grown up with an Inner Beloved, a companion called "Simon", and it was just a natural part of her experience of reality.

I could continue further, but there's a lot of material here, more than enough to start a discussion with! :)

firemaiden

Thanks for posting this, Sophie-David, to me it is totally fascinating. I'm not sure I completely understand exactly, but I'm interested. I was intrigued that she talks. Is this voice a voiced voice or a silent voice -- I mean-- is it "out loud' or -- communicating by thoughts?

The two women remind me a bit of my conversations in meditation with HP and Empress.

LaLa

extremely interesting

syncronicity drew me to read your post as my higher self is (of late) being bloody minded about my need to explore deeper levels of self - your reflections on the alternate gender inner self are intriguing (found the website - ok La is off to explore !!)

WolfSpirit

I find this a very interesting subject, that I don't know much about yet. But you explained it also very clearly and in a way that makes me want to read more :)

Sophie-David said:
It appeared I had what later Jungians have termed a "split anima", a divided Inner Beloved. This may not be an unusual phenomenon, I think its often played out in men's lives in the drive to have both a mate and a mistress. As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse by a woman, I think that my split became exaggerated.

I think many people have different moods and different behaviour at different times - so I wonder if the Inner Beloved also has different aspects ? If they don't, it would be normal to have more than one Inner Beloved.
I am just talking about something I have no personal experience with - but I think my Inner Beloved would maybe go a bit crazy with my different moods, and I would need another one ;)
Or maybe the Inner Beloved loves us with all our inconsistencies...and one would be enough. But it does not seem strange to me to have more than one.

Cerulean

Hello Sophie-David

...I enjoyed your biographical sketch and the literature parallels that I would enjoy hearing your reaction on would include:

Dante Algheri's Vita Nuova or New Life, his youthful prototypical slim ideas weaving his vision of Beatrice (who died young and was never his) with being a poet that specialized in perfecting the vision 'as a believer in love'.

Would any of the historical literature and the combination of Roman-Christian allegories in early or French courtly love literature (Dante through the Christien Le Troyes) be of any value to your biographical work? I believe the authors were mainly male who wrote prose in allegorical terms and it may help your parallels. But many of them were also poets, which might be more akin to your chosen expression...

I believe there are other historical poets who approach the inner beloved or the feeling of the sacred unions, but it sounds like you have a unique modern perspective in terms of songs (Psalms?).

Best wishes!

Cerulean

zorya

i've always felt people fantasize about, or envision someone who contains the parts of themselves, or qualities, they feel they lack.

my 'imaginary (?) friend' provided that which i felt i needed.

Sophie-David

Historical Literature on the Beloved

Cerulean said:
...I enjoyed your biographical sketch and the literature parallels that I would enjoy hearing your reaction on would include:

Dante Algheri's Vita Nuova or New Life, his youthful prototypical slim ideas weaving his vision of Beatrice (who died young and was never his) with being a poet that specialized in perfecting the vision 'as a believer in love'.

Hi Cerulean

Thank you so much for this reference, I would be very interested in reading Vita Nuova. In my recent Tarot studes I found this site:
http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/library/boneill/dante
which explores Tarot connections to Dante's Commedia or "Divine Journey". The Commedia also appears to be a definitive work in the study of the Inner Beloved. But I think I would like to read Vita Nuova first. Do you have any suggestions for particular editions or translations of either of these books? I was about to order a Commedia from Amazon but was disappointed when I could not seem to locate one with the contemporary illustrations. Then there was an expensive book of the illustrations, but without the text.

Dante Commedia is fascinating to me in that I understand it really wasn't written or understood as a work of fiction, but more as what would now call the account of a psychological journey. I found I was particularly relating to this concept after completing a series of Fool's Journey meditations over twenty-two days. I have ended up with a small book of both the experiences (some meditations lasted up to an hour) and the analyses. It seemed to be a natural progression - it wasn't a conscious plan - from the release of the Beloved to journeying further into the soul, doing deep shadow work, encountering many more psychological entities, balancing and harmonizing internal conflicts, and then reintegrating them. After doing the Fool's Journey I started reading about the Commedia a couple of weeks later and thought, hmm, its seems like I've just been through a sort of micro-Commedia.

Cerulean said:
Would any of the historical literature and the combination of Roman-Christian allegories in early or French courtly love literature (Dante through the Christien Le Troyes) be of any value to your biographical work? I believe the authors were mainly male who wrote prose in allegorical terms and it may help your parallels. But many of them were also poets, which might be more akin to your chosen expression...

I have not read these sources either, but did read about the courtly love literature in Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth. There's just so much to learn in order to adapt to and process my new life, its a real struggle with priorities.

Cerulean said:
I believe there are other historical poets who approach the inner beloved or the feeling of the sacred unions, but it sounds like you have a unique modern perspective in terms of songs (Psalms?).

I wasn't sure what you meant here, but now that I am thinking about it, did the courtly bards encounter the Beloved through song?

Thank you for these leads, Cerulean.

David

Cerulean

Free collections of translated Dante editions, images

http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/

When you get to the Inferno, the Mandelbaum translation is an excellent contemporary one that we used in classroom comparisons:

http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/comedy/index.html

The Everyman's Library version of the Divine Comedy without the Italian has many of the Botticelli line drawings in black and white

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679433139/002-5126181-9738402?v=glance

For the New Life, a beautiful series of illustrations free to view online:

http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/images/index.html

The New Life is so short, it depends on how much annotation and information you want to explain the prose-poem or how poetically it is laid out on the page.

I think Dante Algheri is a good place to start, especially with the New Life and from there...oh, let's skip forward to a beautiful new Tarot called the Lovers Path...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/lovers-path/

I just remembered and realized the artist and author had used Dante Algheri's stories in her tarot series and perhaps expresses both the literary and art search for the inner divine and outer beloved in allegory that maybe related to to your interests!

Hope these links and suggestions help.

Best wishes and look forward to hearing your reactions whenever you get to such things...the holidays and all may make it a busy time for everyone.

Regards,

Cerulean

Sophie-David

That's wonderful, thank you very much!

Sophie-David

WolfSpirit said:
I find this a very interesting subject, that I don't know much about yet. But you explained it also very clearly and in a way that makes me want to read more :)

I have a listing of the books and Internet links which I have found the most useful here: http://www.innerbeloved.com/credits.html
Of these, by far the most useful books were the Philip Pullman His Dark Materials series of which Book One is The Golden Compass and John Ryan Haule's Divine Madness: Archetypes of Romantic Love.

I actually read the set of three His Dark Materials before the union. Pullman presents what I later realized is the Inner Beloved as a physical animal companion or daemon to each of his characters, the animal always being in the opposite gender to the character. My voice teacher, now also my mentor and friend, suggested that I might enjoy reading them. If there was a seed planted, this was it.

John Haule, a Jungian clinician and Shaman, discusses romantic love using an adapted Jungian model. He addresses the question, after one has withdrawn the anima projection and presumeably united with the Inner Beloved, what further reason would one have for any romantic interest in any human partner? As far as I know, this is not something that Jung addressed, but this subject has more than academic interest for me, as you might imagine. Haule's book is out of print, but available used through Amazon, or you can read the entire text at online at http://www.jrhaule.net/romanticLv.html

WolfSpirit said:
I think many people have different moods and different behaviour at different times - so I wonder if the Inner Beloved also has different aspects ? If they don't, it would be normal to have more than one Inner Beloved.

Oh yes, the Inner Beloveds do indeed have different moods and behaviour, especially that elusive Romantic Beloved, Eirian. As I integrated further with the unconscious following the union, not only was I able to draw on more internal resources at will, but those same resources were available to Sophie also. So when dialoguing with her we are both drawing from the same pool, its just that we have a different focus or emphasis. I suppose though, that Sophie may always have more ready and extensive access to unconsious psychic resources than "I" do. But what I'm suggesting is that Sophie benefited in her processing power by gaining full access to the left brain, just as the previous "I" or David benefited from full access to the right brain.

Hmm, this gets complicated - its all much simpler to think of it in integrated mode! Everyone has all these various psychic components, the most useful model I have for this is the astrological natal chart. When you try to decide anything, you often enter into an internal debate with perhaps several voices, for example, "Jane's got one, I'd really like to buy that new Tarot deck". "I can't afford that deck, I'm saving up for holidays." "You don't use all the decks you have now." "If I had that deck if would rejuvenate my readings." I believe the astrologial chart is an effective way to model these various voices, such as the conservative, the realist, the visionary, the creative, the intuitive, etc.

The process I have been through has potentially brought each of these voices into full consciousness, so I can reason with them and enter into extended discussions. It sounds a bit like chaos, but its a chaos that everyone already has anyway, its just that most of it is in the unconsious and not so easily recognized. By having them in consciousness I can achieve more harmony within the psyche, I can address the conflicting needs and desires, and I can call on the right specialist for the job. And instead of being controlled by or acting on unconscious urges, I can often pinpoint the source and decide whether the action is really appropriate - not to say I still don't make plenty of mistakes.:)

In actual fact I do not normally allow all of these voices to emerge, it requires a lot of psychic energy and its just too confusing. I have however wakened up to all of them speaking at once on some occasions and I have had to ask for Valerie, an internal balancer of the psyche who is an expression of asteroid Vesta in Libra, to get them settled down.

In practice, its usually much easier to let Sophie manage the unconsious for me. But Sophie, Eirian and High Self have standing permission to interrupt me at any time.

A little history on the voices. As you can imagine, it was quite disturbing to my sense of sanity when Sophie emerged. But soon after, I noticed that there was also the voice of a special guide, the High Self, that was present also. I realized that I would have previously understood High Self to be the voice of the divine. I still do feel that I can hear from the divine also, but most of what I previously thought was from the divine I now feel comes from the internal High Self.

A little later I discovered a third entity, Inu, who is an expression of the archetype of Mercury or the Tarot Magician: a communicator, analyser and sometimes a trickster also. Inu and Sophie seemed to be closely related, not lovers but siblings. I soon learned that there was a good reason for this, Mercury and Moon are in close conjunction in my chart. Before the union, the Mercury energy had dominated, obscuring the lunar energy of Sophie, i.e analysis was dominant over intuition.

I believe Eirian, the expression of Venus or Empress, was the next interior voice to emerge, then three or four more came after that, including some negative shadows too, often introduced in dreams. The remainder of the chart of personal planets and asteroids (but not the outer three generational planets) expressed itself during my recent Fool's Journey meditations. The process of emergence was relatively gradual - if eight months is gradual - so I didn't feel I was going completely insane. :)

WolfSpirit said:
I am just talking about something I have no personal experience with - but I think my Inner Beloved would maybe go a bit crazy with my different moods, and I would need another one ;)
Or maybe the Inner Beloved loves us with all our inconsistencies...and one would be enough. But it does not seem strange to me to have more than one.
In my understanding, Jung suggested that men normally only have one anima, since the anima was based on the mother, and the male baby formed all its impressions of the female gender very early in its development, based on her. Jung suggested that women often have more than one animus, since a female baby's perception of the male gender, father, brothers, grandfather, etc, occurred when the baby was at a later stage of development, when the world was larger than just the mother and the baby was able to process several male incarnations at once.

To me, there seems to be some inconsistencies in this argument. For example, why would the male baby stop with his mother, why would he not process his sisters, grandmother, etc, as anima figures at the same time the female baby is processing her male models? And my experience of two Beloveds didn't fit the model either, until I recently discovered the theory of the split anima. And I must say that in the recent meditation on the Strength card, presented in the ATF astrology section, I did meet a little girl who was the singular incarnation of the Beloved from my childhood, apparently before the split occurred.

Anyway, as a woman, Wolfspirit, I gather that Jung would not be surprised that you would experience more than one Beloved. :)