Making the Transition from RWS to Marseilles decks

Flavio

Going from RWS to Marseilles decks

I got the spanish version of Jodorowsky's book "La Voi du Tarot" (a Xmas present :D) is a great book and recommendable for any Tarot student even when the book is about the restored Camoin-Jodorowsky Marseilles deck, I've decided to give a temporary try to that Marseilles deck in order to follow the book, I don't see me converting from RWS to Marseilles permanently ;) but are there any advice for me regarding this transition from RWS to Marseilles decks? Thank you.

Imagemaker

I'm a confirmed RWS fan who reads the Marseilles with a completely different mindset--I get a first impression of the image, and add element meanings, numerology meanings, and think of the progression of the suit meanings as they move from 1-10.

I shut out the RWS meanings of minors. I think of the majors as archetypes, so they aren't so different in the 2 styles.

I get accurate or meaningful readings in this way, but the minors are much more fuzzy (for me), for sure!

jmd

I would suggest to look carefully at the images in front of you... not the depiction recalled from the WCS pips, or even what they have incorporated as their preferred astrological correspondences in the Atouts.

In addition, carefully reflect on the implements and how they may have been used - I refer here to the four suits.

Fulgour

Flavio said:
...but are there any advice for me regarding this transition from RWS to Marseilles decks? Thank you.
My experience was that I was quite happy thinking of the
Colman Smith images, and my personal views on their own
meanings, when first looking at and comfortably getting to
know the Marseille Tarot. Why begin by making it so hard?

And soon, like with any new deck, it will begin to show you
different things, allowing you to discover new meanings :)
You'll be surprised how much alike the two styles really are!

wandking

By studying the RWS in such depth I feel mentally locked into meanings ascribed to that deck. How could I read the imagless pips of my Convers without RWS images jumping into my head?

spoonbender

wandking said:
How could I read the imagless pips of my Convers without RWS images jumping into my head?
I think there's something wrong with your deck, because there are definitely images on the Minor Arcana of my Marseille decks.

Major Tom

wandking said:
How could I read the imagless pips of my Convers without RWS images jumping into my head?

spoonbender said:
I think there's something wrong with your deck, because there are definitely images on the Minor Arcana of my Marseille decks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do have a look at your namesake card in the Marseilles wandking. ;) Then do take a walk through the suite he rules starting with the Ace. You won't call the pips imagless again. :laugh:

Nonetheless, as the Comparative Tarot method has shown us - the cards we know will come to the mind's eye unbidden when our eyes are confronted with any version of any card.

So, you are absolutely right - you could not look at the Marseilles without seeing also the RWS version of the card.

Personally, I see the answer to the transition to the Marseilles from the RWS to be the answer used for many questions regarding Tarot. You can use any method that feels comfortable for you. :)

For myself, after 20+ years use of the RWS, I've tried to combine practice with regular study. I'm really beginning to get a 'feel' for the Maresilles, but I probably won't give myself persmission to read professionally with it until I complete my own version of it. :laugh:

Jewel-ry

Yep, definately images on my decks too. For instance, just look at the 10 Batons. Everytime I look at this card I see a pair of arms and legs peeking out from behind all those bars and I haven't even started on the flowers!

~

wandking

my point was that the images are not like modern decks, no scenes just cups, swords, flowers etc.

Eco74

Flavio, there is no need to transition, no need to choose.
It is possible to have both so if you end up liking it, have them both close to heart.

Be aware though that you need to start "from scratch" with the Marseilles-cards. They will not get along too well with using only RWS-meanings and if you have trouble getting those out of the way, try thinking "this card normally means X in my RWS-based decks, but what am I seing here?" and then open your mind up to the image.
Count - there are plenty of numerology references scattered about the forum, look at the colors - how they interact and oppose eachother, the eyes, expressions and subtle 'movementpatterns' if you get a character on the card and the flowers and what I like to call "energyflows" in the pips.

And above all.
See it as an adventure. :)