Sticks, Stones, Shells & Bones

Magi

what primitave(and I use that term loosley) divination methods do you use, study, and are interested in.

( And you can't say runes because most all their divinatory information is fairly modern)

HudsonGray

Back in Sept. of 2002 I asked if anyone was into reading things like bones & nuts, etc. I got some really good responses. Here's the thread---
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=7836&highlight=throwing+bones

While I haven't tried divination this way, and there's very little online about it that's not African related, you may get some pointers off the URLs listed. The mouse pot (using twigs, flour and a mouse) was fascinating!

Magi

thanks for the link. though I still love my tarot I've taken a real interest in this kind of divination lately.

greenfrog

A friend of mine has a Kumalak (sp?) kit...

It has beans that it came with, but according to her book it says they originally used to read sheep droppings.

Basically the board had 9 squares, 3 x 3.
and I can't remember exactly how we got down to less than 4 beans for each square, but somehow we did, these were placed in each square, and the patterns they made was read.

I haven't really seen it anywere else, or read much about it...
If anyone else knows more I would be very interested, since I havn't seen the kit anywere.

Vilyariel

i don't know if this is done or not... but perhaps you could use a handful of small stones or similar, and cast them onto the ground [probably sand or something where they wont just bounce all over the place] and read them in a similar way to tealeaves?

HudsonGray

That sounds very similar to something on PBS last year on their Dogun special (north west Africa somewhere I think). There'd be a gridwork marked out along one side of the vegetable garden in the villages & on a special night they'd do a reading the next day. Same gridwork style, only 6' long and 2 grids wide. They'd 'read' the fox footprints left inside the squares. The little desert foxes left imprints in the sandy soil and that's what was used.

Can't try that here, all I'd get would be cat footprints in 'sand' and a little pile of deposit probably. The prints on cats go in a straight line & I'm not into poop reading! LOL