Marseille-inspired deck rec: the Crystal Tarot (split fr. Marseille to TdM thread)

Diana

Helvetica: You should have a look at the Tarocchi di Vetro by Elisabeta Trevisan. Or do you know it already?

Sophie

Diana said:
Helvetica: You should have a look at the Tarocchi di Vetro by Elisabeta Trevisan. Or do you know it already?

I have the Majors! Beautiful. But I haven't read with it yet, so i'll reserve judgement for its depth and my capacity to decipher it.

Diana

Helvetica said:
I have the Majors! Beautiful. But I haven't read with it yet, so i'll reserve judgement for its depth and my capacity to decipher it.

The Minor Arcana are outstanding.

RedMaple

Diana said:

Diana,

I've got the Crystal or Tarocchi di Vetro, and have been trying to read with it. The minors are intriguing -- and I've been fascinated with how illustrated they seem, for lack of a better word. There is a feeling I get from some of them -- the first, I think was the 7 of Coins, where it's just this garden growing. All the pentacles, actually seem very close to telling their stories. So I'd like to join in on some of the discussions. I don't have a Marseilles yet, but I can see it coming in the future sometime.

RedMaple

Sophie

Red Maple,

if you like gardens growing, then you'll love reading with the Marseille Minors :)
Look up some of Eco74's readings with Marseille (in the Let's Marseille section) - she makes excellent use of the garden/nature theme and gives us some very lyrical - and accurate - readings.

I don't yet have the Tarocchi di Vetro minors, I see it must be on a future shopping list.

Fulgour once remarked on the fact Elisabetta Trevisian had used sacred geometry in her design - that also intrigues me.

fyreflye

I don't have this deck but from discussions I've seen here and the scans I've seen online the attributions on the Crystal Tarot appear to be the same as those on El Gran Tarot Esoterico, published by Fournier. The astrological attributions there are drawn from those in the Gra Version of the Tree of Life as described in Aryeh Kaplan's book, The Sefir Yetzirah. Other versions of the astrological attributions like Maxwell's or the Golden Dawn/Thelema decks', though more commonly seen, are not the oldest. I'm told the Tarot of the Ages also uses the Gra attributions. I've been trying to get a handle on this system in relation to Tarot but I've yet to find any literature that actually shows any understanding of it.
Those who have the Gran Esoterico can compare the pip and Court cards where similar images appear. Notice the butterfly in the Ace of Cups, The Ace of Swords spearing the crab, and the unusual attribution of swords to Water and Cups to Air.

Strange2

The minor arcana of the Crystal Tarot are also very similar to those in the Tarot Balbi deck, by Domenico Balbi (published by Fournier in 1976). Apparently the designs were in part influenced by the works of author Eudes Picard.

It's very interesting to see the similarities in the minors from these decks (Tarot Balbi, El Gran Tarot Esoterico, and Crystal Tarot). Thanks to those who pointed this out, it's enhanced my enjoyment and exploration of these decks!

Cerulean

Thanks, this gave me what I needed.

I reread the tarotpassages review of the Balbi again and the information, unattributed, is in the Encyclopedia of Occult Sciences, republished in 1968. I'm ordering a cheap reprint through abebooks.com

Regards,

Cerulean

P.S. I like that Christine Payne Tower also mentions the Dali Tarot as a modern deck coming out of the regional Spanish School of Continental Tarots.