Elements missing from chart

Stacie Doll

I have no earth signs in my chart @ all. Could that be a significator of conflict in my life because I am not balanced?

Minderwiz

Hi Stacie Doll,

When you say you have no Earth signs in your chart I take that to mean that you have no planets in Earth signs and neither your Ascendant or your MC are in Earth signs. Incidentally most of us have some imbalance here, though the extreme is relatively rare.

A lack of Earth could show up in a number of ways, as difficulty in using practical skills (such as you always burn the cakes), you might find that you are too busy thinking about things to do the week's shopping, you might feel that you aren't grounded or have difficulty feeling part of the material world. The feeling of being out of tune with the physical world can have it's advantages - you might be good at ideas, imaginative, see no limits on what you can achieve through your creative efforts or have a strong spiritual streak.

If you have't got any Earth placements then one or more of the other elements is likely to be very strong and this will give some further indication of how you do function.

It's also possible that you might be able to compensate for the lack of Earth Signs through significant placements in the Second, Sixth and Tenth Houses, often referred to as the Houses of Substance. I usually interpret such placements as indicating that the skills are learned through life as you interact with the world, rather than being innate. You can learn to be practical - you might not perfect the skills but you may improve them to a point where they are about average. So look at your placements in the Houses of Substance.before you write yourself off as imbalanced.

Stacie Doll

Thanks for replying!

When you say you have no Earth signs in your chart I take that to mean that you have no planets in Earth signs and neither your Ascendant or your MC are in Earth signs.

Yes, that's what I mean.

A lack of Earth could show up in a number of ways, as difficulty in using practical skills (such as you always burn the cakes), you might find that you are too busy thinking about things to do the week's shopping, you might feel that you aren't grounded or have difficulty feeling part of the material world. The feeling of being out of tune with the physical world can have it's advantages - you might be good at ideas, imaginative, see no limits on what you can achieve through your creative efforts or have a strong spiritual streak.

I find it hard to get things done. I am very imaginative and have a lot of ideas but I struggle executing them. I procrastinate alot but my Mars is in Aries? I feel like I have alot of energy but don't know what to do with it.

It's also possible that you might be able to compensate for the lack of Earth Signs through significant placements in the Second, Sixth and Tenth Houses, often referred to as the Houses of Substance.

My second house is in Scorpio, 6th in Pisces & 1th in Cancer.

Minderwiz

Hi Stacie

Mars in Aries may indeed give you energy, the need to assert yourself, the need to take a lead - however that need requires some practical outlet - There's a quote from King Lear - ' I will do such things - what they are yet I know not - but they shall be the terrors of the Earth' The energy's there but the practical outlet is not quite in focus and they don't get done.

The Second House deals with material issues like earning a living, making things, interacting with the material world, the tenth with career and place in the world and the sixth with routine day to day work and/or the management of employees and others. All practical things - do you have any planets in these Houses? The sign does have an effect but even if they are Water signs, placements may well indicate that they will play an above average role in your life and that therefore you will learn to deal with these issues, even if only enough to get by.

Stacie Doll

Saturn is in my second house, the Sun is in my 6th house there is no planet in my tenth house.

Minderwiz

This should provide some compensation, but not enough to bring you up to 'average' overall. Practicality will be something you always need to work on.

ivyrita

astrology psychology and the 4 elements by steven arroyo is a good book on this :)

isthmus nekoi

You can always try to encorporate the missing element into your life. For example, I know someone w/no earth placements who is a woodworker. Very earthy!

I wouldn't say that you necessarily find yourself always ungrounded, (e.g. a person lacking in water does have emotions!!) it's only that this is an area that is more challenging and uncomfortable to you. Being patient, consistent, practical, conservative, grounded etc are all qualities that you don't feel immediately comfortable with.

Stacie Doll

I will check those out. Thanks.

Phaedra

I don't have any earth in my chart either, and only one planet in a water sign. Fire and Air -- that's me! I was raised by two Capricorns; no wonder we couldn't understand each other. My son is a quadruple Virgo; we are from different planets (pardon the pun).

You will always struggle with completion. Ideas and enthusiam will appeal to you more than concrete results.

I have to tell you, having someone explain my chart in these terms was one of the great AHA! experiences of my life. So many things I had struggled with suddenly made perfect sense.

Now, I'm going to put on my hematite necklace and bake some bread -- very grounding :)