Herbal (back-up) contraception?

April

I have a nagging feeling that this is an inappropriate question for this forum, and I'm even slightly embarassed to be asking, so edit as needed.

Anyway, I'm unable to get another prescription for the pill until I have an exam and good ol' Planned Parenthood is booked for the next couple of weeks. I won't be unprotected but not being on the pill always makes me uneasy. I've been doing some sniffing around for an alternative until I can get an appointment, and I found a couple of decent articles. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. Does anybody use herbal contraceptives, is one herb favored over another? Even those who think it's a terrible idea, please share. But, again, if I do decide to use anything it will be a back-up. Please don't worry about me.

Thank you,
April

Stregaverde

Nothing that I would consider safe and reliable. There are herbal options out there, but they were never a sure bet, and often dangerous. Basically, the ones that I know of work as abortifacients, not preventatives. Bad, bad deal, much better to stick with modern pharmaceuticals on this one.

You may want to go with the calendar method, although if this is your first month off the pill, that might not be reliable. Of course, you can always abstain for a month. :D

Grigori

I'd have to echo Stegaverde,

There is no suitably reliable "natural" contraception. Maintaining a state of "sub-fertility" is an un-natural process, and a very delicate one. No method is 100% reliable, and a mistake could be a major problem.

I'd be recommending you look at barrier methods for a little while. They're slightly less effective than the pill, but much more effective than anything you'll buy at the health food store. (And perhaps when you do get that appointment at planned parenthood you could ask about a diaphram for next time)

Stregaverde

an idea

I just thought of this, don't know why it didn't come to me before. In situations like this, PP will give you another month's worth of pills, to keep you protected until you can get an appointment. I'd call PP and ask them to phone in a one-month prescription for you at your pharmacy--I bet you anything that they will do it. Doctors do it all the time for meds of many types, when the patient isn't able to get in immediately for a checkup. The person you speak to may need to check with a doc or nurse practitioner for permission, but I'm sure they will help you.

April

You worry-worts! I told you I wasn't gonna be unprotected. But thank you for your concern. The reason I get uneasy is because my period is not at all regular when I'm not on the pill. So I was curious about that too.

Stregeverda, it also occured to me after talking to a girlfriend last night that PP might give me a pack before my appointment. But the girl's that work at my PP are not nice or helpful. Which is fine for me cause I'm a grown-up, but I feel sorry for the teen girls that go in there. I would go somewhere else and avoid the hassel, but alas, no insurance.

Thanks again,
April

September Pixie

This isnt an herbal suggestion but is more natural as it goes along with the 'rythem' method (which we all know is NOT safe without protection).. but I will share my 'personal' methods..

I mark on my calender my cycle days.. when I realized I wasn't clearly pinpointing my ovulation day so I bought a saliva OPK (ovulation prediction kit - they are cheap and decently reliable) so I was able to tell my ovulation day is Cycle day 10-12 with mensa days being Cycle day 1-5, this varies from woman to woman.. and then, you never have unprotected sex (or any sex at all if you can avoid it) during the fertile time.. you can also check your cervix fluids (gross I know....) to tell when you are ovulating and fertile. When/If you use a saliva OPK it will tell you the fertile signs and what to look for in the directions.. it may take you a full month or two to understand and use it properly, but I was able to tell within the first 2 weeks. :)

I would NEVER suggest sexual encounters without protection and I would even look into spermicide creams if you are wishing to fore-go the pill.

Some links about this stuff..
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/
http://thefertilityshop.com/saliva-ovulation-predictor.htm
http://www.fertility-monitors.com/fertility-monitors/ovulite.html

I hope this helps..

This method is also a way to help you GET pregnant when you decide :) You will be able to calculate the proper timing..

temperlyne

I think this is very interesting since i am not able to take the pill for medical reasons. I never have unprotected sex but still feel that I am at greater risk than those who can also take the pill.
A while ago I started taking cat's claw because it might help reduse the chance of me getting breast/ovarian cancer (a herdiditery predisposition is the reason I can not take the pill) but it might also have some contraceptive effects. Non of the effects should be depended upon though.
here is some info on cat's claw:
http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldform...les/Feat/CatsClaw.htm&pub_id=8&article_id=844

greenfrog

If your worried about your period and the associated pain and discomfort, have u tried Evening Primrose oil?

There's something else as well, but I can't think what it is at the moment.

I used to take Evening Primrose Oil when I was younger and it helped.

TemperanceAngel

I also find this discussion very interesting, because long before condoms and the Pill women relied on their calendars, moon cycles and I would think also herbs.
As yet, I havn't researched the topic but will do so at some stage :)

greenfrog

The other thing is vitex chasteberry,
a friend of mine who has fibroids (sp?) takes it to help regulate her periods.

I think a naturopath needs to prescribe a dose though.... not sure...

Good Luck