Tarot and aromatherapy

snowleopard

Does anyone know what essential oils apply to the major arcana cards or if there is a book that relates tarot to essential oils?

rachelcat

I seem to remember there was a list of correspondences in a Mary Greer book. I printed it off the internet a couple years ago. I'll look for it in my notes and see if we can track down the book or I'll post the list!

mnemosyne7

Crowley's 777 has a column "Perfume" as it relates to the Major Arcana.

Have you thought about discovering your own correspondences? For instance, what might be an appropriate essential oil for The Sun? Orange? Lemon?

TemperanceAngel

I received a book for Christmas titled: Astrological Aromatherapy by Patricia Davis. Your thread has reminded me I haven't looked at it yet.
I am thinking that if you have planets associated with cards, then you could use this book to also know the aromatherapy?

Just a thought....

Stregaverde

I've been searching for my copy of "The Fragrant Heavens" since I saw this thread, but I've misplaced it. I don't believe that it has direct tarot references, but one could go through and match meaning for meaning. I think that it would be more profound than a list of pre-chosen pairs. Also, I don't believe that there should be only one EO for each card.

Now you've given me something interesting to think about! :)

TemperanceAngel

You know what I just remembered, i think at the back of Mary K Greers' Tarot For Yourself, there maybe aromatherapy references.

*TA goes off to investigate...*

Stregaverde

You're right!!!!

Quoted from Greer's "Tarot For Yourself" (everyone should have a copy, go buy one immediately!). The list is of 'Perfumes' so it won't all be EOs.

The Fool: Galbanum
Magician: Mastic, Mace, Storax
High Priestess: Camphor, Aloes, menstrual blood
Empress: Sandalwood, Myrtle, Rose, Sage
Emperor: Dragon's Blood (this is actually a plant resin, often sold as incense)
Heirophant: Storax
Lovers: Wormwood
Chariot: Onycha
Strength: Olibanum (also known as Frankincense)
Hermit: Narcissus, Mace
Wheel of Fortune: Saffron, Cedar
Justice: Olibanum, Galbanum
Hanged Man: Myrrh, Onycha
Death: Benzoin, Opoponax, Asfoetida (gross, stinky stuff!)
Temperance: Aloes
Devil: Civet, Musk, Nutmeg (note from SV: Civet and Musk are animal-derived, please don't use them!)
Tower: Dragon's Blood, Pepper
Star: Galbanum
Moon: Ambergris (again with the animal derivatives! Ugh!)
Sun: Olibanum, Cinnamon, Cinnabar
Judgement: Olibanum
World: Frankincense, Asafoetida, Sulphur.

Calling some of these, like Asafoetida and sulphur, "perfumes" is carrying it a bit far. I'll see if I can find my Fragrant Heavens book, it's all about essential oils, it may have something else to offer.