Tarot of Dreams Update

wizzle

Study group

A number of folks mentioned we need a study group when enough folks get their decks. The moment has come and I've started one with a discussion of our favorite real and virtual cards.

Ya'll come on over to the study forum, ok?

Lee

I have the glossy deck, and now Ciro has sent me sample cards from a satin deck, so now I can speak a little more intelligently about the difference between them.

The glossy cards are perceptibly thicker. The satin cards are the same stock as USGames and Llewellyn and Lo Scarabeo decks, but when you bend them slightly with your fingers, it "gives" a little bit more than standard-size decks, in other words feels thinner, but this is only because the cards are larger. Anyone who has the Rohrig or the large Thoth or other very large deck will know what I mean.

I was a somewhat surprised because, as has been noted by a few others here, it was actually a bit easier to see the images on the satin than the glossy (because, I presume, you're not seeing reflections). Now, I'm talking about a very small difference. You can still see the images very clearly on the glossy. I'm getting into infintesimal differences here, because people have asked about which they should choose.

So, if you're getting one deck, the choice is basically between thicker cards on the one hand and slightly more visible images on the other. It would all depend on your personal preference and which is more important for you.

If you're going to be getting two, then I would definitely recommend buying both types. You'll want to have the glossy, thicker cards to use in public, while the satin finish might be better for private use. Or, the reverse! :)

-- Lee

Lee

Ciro now has a page on his website where you can download the inadvertently missing file which allows you to see card texts while laying out cards in the Orphalese software, as well as the second page for the King of Cups from the CD program:

http://www.ciromarchetti.com/ciro/tod_new/TOD_help.html

-- Lee

purple_scorp

Hi Lee,

thanks for the link for the missing file (and jpg).

Thanks also for trying to show the difference between satin vs glossy cards. I know I was confused when I was placing my order. Which one should I choose?

I chose the glossy and am very happy with them and I've seen others say they are happy with the satin. At the end of the day, you wind up with a fantastic deck, no matter which finish you choose.

with love
purple_scorp

Lee

I just re-read what I wrote about glossy vs. satin, and I realize I'm not expressing myself very well.

When I say the glossy cards are "less visible", which is a terrible choice of words, here's what I really mean:

Both the glossy and the satin images are exactly the same. If one were to take a photograph of them, they would be identical. However, small details are very slightly easier to spot on the satin cards, because if there happens to be a reflection on the glossy cards, then the small details on the images have to compete for your eye's attention with the reflections of light.

On the other hand, the glossy cards have an "ooh, ahh" shiny effect, similar to the hot stamped gold on some Lo Scarabeo decks, which would be very entertaining when using the cards with others, which is why I suggested the glossy cards might be better if you were doing lots of readings for others, along with their increased durability. The satin cards, though, might be better if you want a quiet, meditative experience. Maybe like the difference between a symphony and chamber music; the symphony is more of a crowd-pleaser, but the chamber music might allow you to pick out the composer's themes and counter-themes.

Specific concerns might override these considerations. For example, if durability is your highest concern, then the thicker glossy cards would be best. If having the cards be easier to shuffle and handle is a top priority, then the satin would be best.

Oh, and I agree with purple_scorp, you will be happy with either!

-- Lee

shadowdancer

Bless you Lee....lol

I think we have all been there at some stage where we have tried to explain something and ended up wondering if we have confused everyone under the sun :D

I think you have explained well though. As already stated, either way they are awesome. I have the glossy and love it to bits. It feels meaty, and a real solid tarot deck.

Take care

Davina

shadowdancer

Here's to the reviews being the first of many, and deservedly so.

Davina

mercenary30

More Findings...

Did anyone else notice that the city portion found in the background on the left of the Fool card seems to be shown closeup in the Emperor card?

The three by three grid of diamonds above the gate arch is interesting as well, and can barely be seen in the Fool card.