For ladies only

ncefafn

I hope it's all right to post this here, since this doesn't technically have to do with herbs, but rather essential oils.

At our Imbolc circle, I met a lady who was very well-versed in the use of essential oils, and she told me that Clary Sage oil was a surefire treatment for menstrual cramps. I noted it, and promised to try it, but didn't really hold out much hope. I've suffered from debilitating cramps for 27 years, sometimes so bad I actually went into clinical shock -- low blood pressure, disorientation, hypothermia.

So this morning, when I felt them coming on, I put several drops of Clary Sage oil on my hands and massaged it over my abdomen. As many drugs as I've taken over the years to deal with the pain, I figured that a little oil couldn't hurt. Within minutes, the pain just slipped away! I couldn't believe it. I really recommend this for anyone who's suffered with this condition.

Stregaverde

Interesting! I've used Pennyroyal oil that way (it does help) but not clary sage. I vastly prefer the aroma of clary sage, I'll try it next month! Thank you!

Note: if anyone is thinking of using pennyroyal, please research it thoroughly first, it can be a dangerous oil and is not for laypersons to use. And NEVER take it internally!

Moonbow

Clary Sage is a wonderful oil to use for all types of stress and tension and is a powerful muscle relaxant (as you found out). It is also known as a powerful hallucinogenic and should not be used while drinking alcohol.

I find it quite a heady aroma although I have heard it is useful, to some, for treatment of migraine.

I glad you found it useful.

ncefafn

LOL! Well, I don't think I've had any hallucinations yet. :)

And that reminds me, this lady also mentioned that she uses it for her own migraines. She has a condition which forbids her using any type of anti-inflammatory or OTC pain killer.

Chronata

Before I ran out of the Clary Sage essential (and boy, can it be pricey!!) I used it on my temples when I had a horrible headache...and it took away the tension perfectly!

I am not surprised to hear of its use for cramps too!
Thanks ncefafn!

Mayet

hmm something more to add to my new arthritis tinctures.....

Clary Sage is also great for a toothache, even better than the old cloves.....

Ahria

I must try that, I am tired of endless painkillers at that time of the month.

TemperanceAngel

Moonbow* said:
It is also known as a powerful hallucinogenic and should not be used while drinking alcohol.
Haha, it's funny you should say that! One of my lecturers told us to put a couple of drops in a glass of champagne :D Which surprised as she is seemingly conservative. Ah well, you never can judge a book by its cover...

Shining_Moon

Stregaverde said:
Interesting! I've used Pennyroyal oil that way (it does help) but not clary sage. I vastly prefer the aroma of clary sage, I'll try it next month! Thank you!

Note: if anyone is thinking of using pennyroyal, please research it thoroughly first, it can be a dangerous oil and is not for laypersons to use. And NEVER take it internally!

It's emenegogic (sp?) so it should never be used by pregnant women.

Shining_Moon

ncefafn said:
So this morning, when I felt them coming on, I put several drops of Clary Sage oil on my hands and massaged it over my abdomen. As many drugs as I've taken over the years to deal with the pain, I figured that a little oil couldn't hurt. Within minutes, the pain just slipped away! I couldn't believe it. I really recommend this for anyone who's suffered with this condition.

Wow thats fast work! I take it you diluted it? What oil did you dilute it in and to what strength?