Baroque Bohemian Cats: Ace of Cups

Stregaverde

I shuffled and drew 3 cards to restart this study group--the Cats have been bugging me about it. :) The first is the Ace of Cups.

This card depicts an extremely cute but wise-looking Siamese kitten sitting in a large vase that is being held up by a lion statue. Has everyone noticed that all the Aces have undressed cats and lion statues? Interesting.

This statue is in a garden, in front of a rectangular garden pool that has pink flower petals floating on the surface of the water. Green plants are visible around the edges of the pool, as is the base of a stone column holding up another statue, probably another lion. Above our lion and slightly behind it is a white archway with a blue and white swan painting in a red carved frame. The vase that the kitten is in has a (bas-relief?) mermaid on it.

This pool really reflects the depth of emotional power available through the Ace of Cups. The kitten has a calm but expectant expression, with his paws over the edge of the cup--ready to either remain there or spring out, whatever the need may be. All in all, it represents profundity, still waters being deep, and expectation to me. Those petals fall on the quiet pond, but you get the feeling that there's a great deal hidden under the surface. And the statue seems immensely supportive, not just a vessel but also a helper.

More later...

baba-prague

Stregaverde said:
IHas everyone noticed that all the Aces have undressed cats and lion statues? Interesting.

Also more from me later, but I'm glad you brought up this particular point. All the Aces are kittens - although the black cat on the Ace of Swords is older (and wiser?) and it's not so immediately obvious that he is in fact still only a kitten. Our idea was that the kittens represent the potential of these cards, and the Lions represent the spirit, or ambition - what the kittens could grow to become. We wanted the Aces to feel distinct from the other cards.

Stregaverde

baba-prague said:
We wanted the Aces to feel distinct from the other cards.

They do. More than many other decks, these cards really do capture the idea of possibility, IMHO. Of what can become.

annik

I definitively like the idea! And with this card, we can see all the playfulness and lovability of kittens! It make such a cute picture! Makes me smile and makes me want to hug the kitten.

Stregaverde

This kitten also looks wise for his age--may be a Siamese thing, they all look like they hold the Secrets of the Ages. :) And his body language is important to me--ready to spring out of the vase, or stay there, depending on what comes along. This is a card of potential, but it also has a feeling of safety that I don't get from the other Ace cards. It's soothing, even while it's full of possibility. Perhaps it's because the lion seems so protective and supportive, and the scene is so tranquil.

GryffinSong

I've received this card twice lately, and saw it slightly differently each time.

First time:

How very peaceful! A beautiful Siamese kitten peeks out from a huge cup held by a lion. A swan decorates an arch behind them, perhaps of a bridge. Held up out of the water. This feels very safe, but also keeps the kitten from getting her feet wet in the pond of life. The lion seems to be grinning at the viewer. A little tongue in cheek attitude. Feeling a little too safe. And to get out of the cup requires a big, long leap. A bit scary, but the pond looks so lovely and clear.

Second time:

Today this little kitten looks ready to leap out of that stone cup, ready to swim off into the future, or to leap up onto that bridge and see what's across the river, and through the woods .... The lion looks ready to encourage, protect, and fight for my freedom. Smiling like the king he is, ready to guard my flank as I set out on this new journey. Coming home is also setting out. A ship leaving harbor, ready to sail the open seas. I'm drawn to the kitten's clear blue eyes, and how they mirror the bright surface of the river. There are depths there. One just has to break through the surface to find them. Dive right in, the water's fine.