The Left and The Right Hand [Batons and Sword Aces]

Odette

At Ace of Wands there is depicted a left hand, and at Ace of Swords there is depicted a right hand that is holding the these tools (at least at Norton's TdM - I haven't seen all the variations of TdM).

In the Middle Ages the left hand meant earthly (empty) honour, and the right hand stood for Gods love. Can the hands on the Aces have their root in this?

Fulgour

Hello Odette :) The ideas you have about the significance
of the hands is very interesting, but I wanted to ask about
the Norton's TdM you mentioned. Could you tell me more?

jmd

Normally, Marseille decks have the right hand holding each of these Aces.

The Batons Ace showing the palm, the Sword Ace the back of the hand.

I am not sure what is the Norton Marseille to which you refer to - could it be also what is refered to as the Convos?

Fulgour

hi jmd

jmd said:
I am not sure what is the Norton Marseille to which you refer to
- could it be also what is refered to as the Convos?
Maybe Norton is the name of the artist hired by Hadar
to do the veritable artwork work on his veritable deck?

jmd

Fulgour, the only reason I suggested that the 'Norton' may be what is usually referred to as the Convos is that a previous discussion had already shown that Natasha Norton is the author of the booklet that comes with the AG Müller Convos Marseille deck... and so I wondered if that is where the link is.

Though I have never checked, it would be useful to also make mention as to who the artist was for the Hadar.

My Convos is not handy at the moment, and frankly do not recall what the hands on those two Aces thereon do, but would have thought that they follow the more established convention of showing, in each case though from differing angles, a right hand.

Rosanne

Why the Different Hands.

On the Claude Burdel Marseille Ace of Swords is in Left Hand and Ace Wands is held in Right Hand. The Aces in My illustrated book of Grimaud Marseille shows Ace of Swords in Right hand(Back of hand Showing) Ace of Wands Right hand Palm showing. Very interesting point you have raised Odette. Middle Eastern history has shown me that the left hand was considered Sinister and never used for eating, only for body cleansing. I would be thinking as well as your description of empty Honour and Gods love- the Crusades may have brought back some Eastern thought as well.~ Rosanne

Odette

So many answers there are here!

The Tarot deck I am reffering to has this text on the booklet:
Guide de Natasha Norton
AGM AGMüller, Neuhausen, Suisse

On the box they are lying in it says:
1990 Printed in Switzerland by AGMüller

TrueStar

The wand in the As de Batons comes from the left side of the card and is held by the right hand: the part shown of the hand is the palm. And the sword in the As d'Espees comes from the left side of the card and is also held by the right hand: the back of the hand is shown here.

We know that in both cases it is a right hand because of the position of the polgar. I find this detail important because, as everybody knows, in quiromancy the left hand is connected with the unconscious and right hand to conscience. Alejandro Jodorowsky relates the palm in the As de Batons to the inside of the self, so the AdB represents an energy comming from inwards, and relates the back of the hand to the external part of the self, so AdE represents the self in contact with reality, the mind.

I find that Jodorowsky's interpretation of the "hands" in both aces fits very well with the traditional meaning of each suit, being the swords related to mind, intellectual confrontation (the knuckles) and wands to will (intuitiveness, sexuality and impulsion).

jmd

Thank you for the Burdel reference, Rosanne.

I had originally written that perhaps the Burdel has such, and then deleted the line, thinking I must be incorrect. My only version of the Burdel is the altered version published by LoScarabeo (much of their contribution to the Tarot world is excellent, and hope they do not bring out another Marseille deck with the Fool numbered!). Not having looked at the deck for some months, and always reluctant to recommend it due to LS's alterations, it remains in a box for study or teaching purposes only... and not one I usually refer to.

However, if the Burdel has this characteristic, then undoubtedly other Marseille style decks likewise share the feature, that I personally do not consider 'correct'.

Odette, on your two of Coins should be a band between the two Coins with a date (perhaps) and a name: it is to that name that we normally refer the deck to, and wonder if it is the Convos.

Rosanne

Thank you jmd for your answer. I have the altered Loscarabeo version and I had the sneaky suspicion it was a 'like' Marseilles and not a Marseilles proper. The Major X111 is named as well. I was trying not to be disappointed with my Gift, but alas I am. I await a seemingly never coming Fournier, so I have ordered a Convers and a Hadar. If they manage to get to NZ without using a rowing boat via the Galapagos Islands I will be thrilled.- Until then -back to my book of illustrated Grimaud. ~Rosanne