Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA study group

rainwolf

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/navigators-mystic-sea/
Whoever has had this deck knows that there is a lot of discussion/confusion surrounding it. Although it is a beautiful deck, it is a mysterious one and I would like to propose a study group formed around it. I think Moonbow would agree ;) I dont think i could start this right now, as i am very busy, but would be more happy to start it around mid-may or later, and continue mainly in the summer. If we do it then, i would be happy to be organizer of it all and keep it together, finding discussion points, cards to analyze, etc. So if you have any interest, please post here or PM me (for whatever reason that would be for) and I'll keep a list until further notice (May). If this thread falls from a main page for a while, ill bump it so others will see it.

Meanwhile...here is a thread that discusses some past thoughts about the deck, and we can use it as a launch pad for discussions:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=19330

Here are some teases for future discussions (I've always been one to give those}))
  • Why does the title have 'SEA'?
  • What are some purposes of no-sex characters and their colors?
  • What do each of the symbols mean (yes ill prolly find them in the book, post it, and we can analyze it)
  • What are some advantages of the renumbering or the majors?
  • What emotions do each card employ and how does this interact with the mental/analytical view of it?
  • What do the court cards mean in this deck since they differ so much?
  • How does the deck order contribute to the meanings?

I hope to add more in the future. Looking forward to your posts! Newcomers/people who dont have the deck welcome-i will scan and attach each card as we discuss.

Moonbow

Sounds interesting rainwolf,

I'll drop by and peek in now and then, but I'm not going to commit just yet... May is such a long way off, and I deal with one day at a time :)

It definately is an interesting deck, with lots to discuss and I loved the playful way the keywords can be used and explored (in the thread linked). It's one of those decks that inspires, particularly in a creative way, which I love. It also has so much symbolism that it can take an age to meditate on just one card.

I hope you get plenty of interest for your group, the deck deserves it. :)

rainwolf

I agree May is a long way off, i just want a list of people who would be interested in posting their thoughts of the cards. Dont worry too much about commitment-ill probably be doing a lot of setting up what we will talk about unless others want to put in their thoughts.

Hope to hear from others! Even if you dont have the deck, i just want to know how many people would be interested in such a group because i can scan pics.

rainwolf

Bumping the thread because im desperate and excited about a study group....join even if you dont have the deck but are interested!

Question...for those who are interested (moonbow i guess) what do you want to start on? A card or the deck in perspective?

Anyone!

Moonbow

Ok rainwolf, let's do it.

I would prefer something not too structure, as I'm more likely to be able to keep involved then. I have my fingers in others pies at the moment too. :)

I'll follow your lead....

M*

rainwolf

Ok-i still dont know if i should start before mid may because i have some important tests at the beginning. The most structured im going to get is an individual card, maybe a few for comparison. I'm going to scan and attach them too so we have direct viewing if you open it in a new window.

I know a lot of people have this deck-i look for it when i look at profiles. I hope these people get into this group.

I already got a head start on it too-this week has been my spring break and i went through the deck and companion book writing down all the symbols that can be discussed. Although lengthy, it was increadibly interesting.

Moonbow

It's been a while since I've even looked at this deck, if May is better for you we will pick it up then.... I am in no hurry.

So shall we do a new thread for each card? Then others can add to it if they wish. When we get going and have an Index post for the deck (your baby so you get to do :)), I will start a link in the Study Group Index, but lets get a few threads under our belt first.

Formicida

I just saw this thread. I'd definitely be up for the group, as this is my current study deck, though I'm not sure how much time I'll have to devote to it. Still, I have a lot of questions about the deck and would love to read others' opinions and contribute mine as much as I can.

...excited now...

F

rainwolf

Oh good another person! I hope it turns into a good resource for people with questions about it.

rainwolf

Bumping to interest people hopefully. I think the first topic will be a general overview of the deck....