Le Fou and Zephaniah 3

jmd

After discussing the enemies in all four directions (West - Philistines, East - Moab & Ammon, South - Ethiopia, and North - Assyria) in the second Chapter, Zephaniah talks forth about a return from exiles in the third.

Specifically, Zephaniah 3:12 ff says that:
'in you [Jerusalem] I shall leave surviving a humble and lowly people, and those who are left in Israel will take refuge in the name of YHVH.

They will do not wrong, will tell no lies; nor will a deceitful tongue be found intheir mouths. But they will be able to graze and rest with no one to alarm them.

[...][YHVH promises to renew joy]

When that time comes I will rescue the lame, and gather the strays, and I will win them praise and renown when I restore their fortunes. [...]
As a promise of times that are to come, this seems to suggest both a good placement for the position of the Fool as last card, and as a reminder of walking the path or righteousness has its forthcoming worth.

More importantly, it would have been a comfort to the many who may have lost their possession through expulsion from their homes, forced to travel as mendicant, irrespective of their previous stations and skills.