Problems with the Druidcraft

HearthCricket

The back of my cards came in two slightly different browns; not bad but a bit distracting. As much as I love the artwork, the cheap cardboard and clumpy size of the deck made me give it up, entirely. I know I like high quality decks, and this just didn't pass the test. I gave mine to a friend just starting out in tarot. I am very disappointed and this makes me leery of purchasing self-published decks. For now I will stick to my US games, my Lo Scarabeo/Llewlyn decks. They never let me down.

Leo62

HearthCricket said:
I am very disappointed and this makes me leery of purchasing self-published decks.
Is it a self-published deck? My copy is published by Connections, which is a small publisher, but I wouldn't call that self-publishing...unless there's something I'm missing...

I also have issues with this deck. Tatsi's post about "cheapness" struck a chord with me, particularly as this is a deck that espouses earth-based spirituality. A professed philosophy of loving and reverencing the earth does not really sit well with shoddy production values IMHO...

Alta

The Druidcraft appears to have been published by a couple of publising houses. Not a self-published deck, except possibly in the sense that they may have had to pay to get the first run published.

I hear your disappointment HearthCricket, but I would have to say that some of the deepest, most evocative decks I have are self-published. And yes, sometimes they just aren't as professionally managed as the big name decks. Hand-laminated and so on.

Nothing would make me give up my Ferret Tarot either. :) And that is just plain, unlaminated, uncoloured and on cardboard-style paper. But I love it.

It is a choice I guess, and I respect your feelings on the quality of the cards in handling and reading etc.

WalesWoman

I had heard of different shades of brown on the card backs, but hadn't noticed that with mine. What I did notice was that sometimes the color seems to change depending on the lighting in the room... how it catches the light. All my cards were free of misprints or glitches or I'm not that discriminating and hadn't noticed any.

The only other thing I notice is the backs show finger smudges... I have dry hands, so it isn't from lotion, but it wipes off easily. Since they are large I usually shuffle by dealing them into several piles, several times, so sticking hasn't presented any problems either. I want these to last forever and don't bother trying to shuffle them with that riffle thing.

The only problem I really have with this deck is... I don't want to use my other ones and haven't been able to read with them when I have. I guess we are having a monogomous relationship. :)

Shadowlynx

Printed in China!

I recently purchased the Druidcraft deck and I must say, the artwork is astounding! :) It was truly worth the headache that came with my purchase. When I first bought the deck and started flipping through the cards, I noticed that many of them had different shades of brown for the back. "Oh well," I thought, "no big deal, my Froud cards have slight variations too!" Having done printing in lithography in the past, I knew that variations are somewhat unavoidable. I noticed the fine print... "printed in China." *sigh* Oh well... I can live with it... No biggie! But... When I came upon the 7 of pentacle, my jaw dropped... The back of the card wasn't any shades of brown... it was black!!! What the!?!? It stood out like a sore thumb amidst the deck!! Had to do lots of juggling around to get a decent deck! Make sure you enquire into WHO prints the deck and WHERE it was printed... And on top of that, I would add, make sure your store can refund you or replace it if you end up with a dud like mine. Buyer beware!!

Emeraldgirl

Wow I got really lucky then. I went back and checked mine. Backs all match and not icky blobs or dots on the cards and then i noticed something........................................................ I was given 79 cards. The extra was 7 of Cups. Perhaps this deck is trying to tell me something???????????

sunflowr

Shadowlynx said:
I recently purchased the Druidcraft deck and I must say, the artwork is astounding! :) It was truly worth the headache that came with my purchase. When I first bought the deck and started flipping through the cards, I noticed that many of them had different shades of brown for the back. "Oh well," I thought, "no big deal, my Froud cards have slight variations too!" Having done printing in lithography in the past, I knew that variations are somewhat unavoidable. I noticed the fine print... "printed in China." *sigh* Oh well... I can live with it... No biggie! But... When I came upon the 7 of pentacle, my jaw dropped... The back of the card wasn't any shades of brown... it was black!!! What the!?!? It stood out like a sore thumb amidst the deck!! Had to do lots of juggling around to get a decent deck! Make sure you enquire into WHO prints the deck and WHERE it was printed... And on top of that, I would add, make sure your store can refund you or replace it if you end up with a dud like mine. Buyer beware!!

Wow, you're the second person I've read here who got a black back on one of the cards! :(