My Rare German Dark-bordered Margarete Petersen has arrived!!!!!!

weaver

Reading these comments rekindled my interest in obtaining the Margarete Petersen deck. I had first been introduced to the German dark-bordered edition when Rachel Pollack shared the deck's images, with a class she taught with Mary Greer, a year or so ago. At the time, I was intrigued by the deck's amazing images but decided I'd best wait until the English language edition was available. Time passed and I lost the thought.

With my interest renewed, I literally fell over the 2001 dark-bordered German edition offered as a used book on the Amazon website. (You just can never tell what you might find there.) Inspired by the conversation found here, I ordered a new English edition (from a different seller), as well. Thus far the German edition has arrived and the English version is en-route.

I love the deck's artwork and am really looking forward to comparing the two deck's side by side. These are images that afford this student of Tarot a very healthy learning curve!

So, thank you, all. Your comments inspired me to have courage, and take the MP leap!

weaver

Does anyone prefer the grey bordered Margarete Petersen deck to the dark-bordered version?

My grey bordered English MP deck arrived yesterday and quite honestly, I am surprised by how much I like it. Remembering how chagrined I was to discover the Voyager deck's pale green border (as opposed to the rich aubergine color I thought the border would be) I really only purchased the English Margarete Petersen deck for comparative purposes AND so I could read the deck's LWB without going on-line.

In that both my Margarete Petersen deck's have just arrived, it may be too soon to say with certainty, but I THINK I can make out more of what is going on in the lighter version deck's images.

At any rate, I like the paler deck a lot.

Sophie

Well, a week or so ago, after reading this thread, I sauntered across to Ebay Germany. I had a look and sure enough a maroon-bordered Margarete Peterseon was for sale. I bought it. Not cheap, but not crippling and the seller, a lady in Hamburg, was charming. It arrived this morning. For the past half hour I have been dreaming over it and dipped into the book. Firemaiden - you are quite right, her words are as poetic & vibrant as her paintings. I am not sure if I shall read it much - but I shall love and enjoy it! And it seems like a good meditation deck.

Aura Wolf

Anyone want a German edition?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Amazon.de (in Germany) has a few of the maroon-bordered German editions for sale in the marketplace! (for those who lust after it)....and even with international shipping the price is not bad (works out to around US $50 something). Just go to the main site and do a search for the deck, but be careful because you'll get a few results and some are for the English edition--but you can tell by the pictures. There is one listing that looks like the tarot but it's really cheap so I suspect it might be just the book or something? Not sure. But for those who can't speak German you can translate the page using Google's language tools, it's not very good but makes it a bit easier :D

I really want this deck, have for quite a while. I considered buying one of those German editions (hey I could get around the language barrier!) but considering the book would be entirely in German I think I'll go for the slightly cheaper English edition here in the States--the grey borders aren't as rich as the maroon but they are actually quite flattering. Even though I don't plan to read with it much (being mostly an art deck) the poetry excerpts as card descriptions which I've read from the book are very intriguing, and if I got the German edition I wouldn't get anything out of it. Something to consider anyway.

But hey I guess you collectors could always get both :)

weaver

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Margarete Petersen, the artist and person? Perhaps it is because I don't speak German, but my efforts to find out something about her have been unsuccessful. I often think that knowing a little something about an artist is helpful in more fully understanding and appreciating the artist's art. I sure would appreciate any information that might help me integrate MP's powerful images!

(As a newcomer to this Forum, I am not sure if this inquiry belongs in a new thread. Please forgive me in advance if I have unwittingly overstepped this thread's scope.)