The Next Pope

Shade

I gave Catholicism up for Lent years ago but I thought I would do a little rading to see what the next pontiff will be like. I know some others mentioned doing readings to see which candidate would be selected but I don't know enough about the contenders to have many insights there.

For this reading I used the Secret Tarots (my old faithful) and did a spread based upon the symbol of the cross.

While shuffling the deck the Knave of Wands popped out. In this deck the Knave greets us among ruins and points up (his role as messenger). This card set the tone for the reading and makes me believe that the new Pope will strive to turn the eyes of the church away from its current state of affairs and focus their attention upward (and inward). He will be a spark in a way. Ok to the reading.

1. His Nature - Temperance - This came as a surprise early on, I was expecting something a little less moderate. I believe the new Pope's aim will be to stabilize the church and to soothe some of the conflicts at present between members in different nations and also to become a stabilizing force on the current tempestuous world stage. I think he will also concern himself with the church's budget issues, seeking to bring in some balance and healing here.

2. From Heaven, Kingdom of God - Queen of Cups - First off this is Mary. I believe that the Pope will, as some say JP2 did, sympathize with the Marionites who wish her influence to be strengthened. I do not think that this signifies a move to ordain women, it's not a bold card as the Queen of Wands would have been. Theologically I believe he will call his flock to reflect more upon heaven and its message rather than concern itself with internal squabbles. I believe he will draw on the healing energy of his religion.

3. And on Earth - 2 of Cups - Not a bad card to get for the more practical position in this reading. This, I believe coincides with Temperance signifying a desire to network, and to strengthen relationships between the church, the nations of the world, and other religions. I believe that the next Pope will see himself as a uniter, pushing the church to open up to the rest of the world rather than close itself off.

4. Past Influences - Ace of Swords - I suspect form this that the Pope will be one of the candidates that is considered fairly conservative. Previously he was probably concerned with rules, dogma, the status quo, intellectualism, and to some degree conquest. I believe he has desired to reclaim some of the power and influence that the church has lost. This card doesn't mesh well with the previous ones and I believe that his ascension to Pope will soften some of his previous beliefs/stances. He has a great deal more influence and also visibility and it will require him to be a more complete person.

5. His Future - 5 of Pentacles - In the Secret Tarots the 5 of Pentacles is depicted as a small portly man photographing a tall beautiful model. I believe that the changes the new Pope brings to Catholicism will, for the most part, exist only on the surface. It seems he wishes to do a great deal in the way of healing the church and soothing various rivalries, and well... that's a fairly tall order. He may get the ball rolling but I do not believe that many of these changes will take root, the new sense of solidarity is to some degree superficial and cold crumble when the next pope takes office. He has some big dreams but this may not yet be the world in which they can be realized. This could also indicate him not truly understanding the nature (and thus the cause) of these conflicts.

Any thoughts?

HOLMES

Shade said:
I. I know some others mentioned doing readings to see which candidate would be selected but I don't know enough about the contenders to have many insights there.
Any thoughts?

if you looked at the reading i did ,you would see there was more then what candiate was selected.
it dealt with his papacy, his legacy,
and other questions. just to clarify that
i agree with you that i myself didnt know about the contenders to have any insight myself lol.
------------

i will post any thoughts i have on yours after i sleep. (you know fresh insights:)
what i do like about your spread is the kingdom of god position :)
and on earth
does that means that you are relating on earth to god will be done in that position ?
just so i know when i go to interpat it tomorrow after i sleep right now. at 5 am :)

Shade

I'm sorry Holmes I looked for your reading before posting mine to see if there was any crossover but I couldn't find it. If I had remembered your screename I would have searched by that (and will now) I do remember that you were coming up with a whole host of topics to look into, it will be interesting to see where our readings overlap.

HOLMES

let me see

1. his nature temperance
2. from the kingdom of god, queen of wands
3. the kingdom of god on earth , two of cups
4. past influences ace of swords
5. his futurue five of pentacles.

thanks shade. it is a little bit hard for me for it is missing the signifactor which i use in my readings as the soul card.

his nature.
it may not look like it to those who are not in the catholic chuch but only those will the "know" will see that he is seeking to be moderate in the sense renewing the traditions however not being so rigid. could it be that he will be a compromiser? the words of deep impact comes to minds when morgon freeman says to the reporter"it only seems that way".
for the pope shall truly seek to find a balance in the old traditons and modern view of life.
kingdom of god. queen of wands.
it is clear that the pope will see that god wants him to work through love and spiritualy. and since it is a woman card he will seek to empower woman, bring the true teacings of fatima to the masses.
or rather that is what his hearts tells me to do.
it could point to the ordination of woman as well. for are we not all equal in the eyes of god
so he believe that the will of god on earth is to seek love and forgivness in the two of cups. two of swords and seeking peace is not enough for we must make the next step.
the precedents was placed by the previous popes and the new mental beginnings were planted then. it may appear that he will be very traditional, yet after his reign is over we will see that he was very progressive in planting new ideas into the head of the church. as was planted in his head by the previous popes.
his future suggest that he will suffer from extremities pain, and this could be from his symbolic taking on the pains of the world. there will be loss that he will have to deal with. what that physical loss to the church will be is hard to say.
it could relate to withdrawing from the problems of the world. but he refuses to do that.
perhaps his message would be to look outside the church doors and not just at the problems of the past.

Shade

Holmes thank you so much fo ryour insights. I don't know how I missed the connection between the Queen of Cups in my Heaven position and the two of cups in the Earth position, I am so glad you caught that I will have to think about it more. I do agree that it looks like the divine feminine will be channeled (I know that isn't the right word as it's not very Catholic) and manifested here on Earth.

I would love to see women made Priests (Priestesses?) but i don't see it happening this term. My favorite bumper sticker says:

"Ordain Women Or Stop Dressing Like Them"