Morgan & Morgan decks...197X - 19XX....

Cerulean

Starting from the Page of Pods Morgan Press misprint thread...

I have a 1979 Morgan Greer Press in a blue star box, no instruction book. The box has the two-part lidded box with the Chariot on top in color.

The lid top and bottom says *TAROT*; the right and left says "MORGAN-GREER TAROT".

Bottom box says:

MORGAN-GREER TAROT
Based on the continued
knowledge, wsdom and
interpretation of
Paul Foster Case and
Arthur Edward Waite
-------------------
Full Color 79 Card Tarot deck
with instruction book
describing each card
-------------------
22 Major Archana cards
56 Minor Arcana cards
contained in four suits of Cups,
Swords, Rodes and Pentacles

Illustrated by William Greer
under the direction of Lloyd Morgan

Distributed by
MORGAN & MORGAN, INC>
Dobbs Ferry, New York 10522
c1979 Morgan Press, Inc.

Cerulean

Aquarian Tarot copyright 1970 Morgan Press

Fool on top cover of two part box lid.

TAROT on top and bottom, white on black lettering.

AQUARIAN TAROT on sides of top lid

Bottom box lid reads:

Authentic interpretation of
the medieval Tarot

Full color 78 card Tarot deck
with instruction book
describing each card
---

22 Major Arcana cards

56 Minor Arcana cards
Swords, Rods and Pentacles
---

Illustrated by DAVID PALLADINI

Published and Printed by
MORGAN PRESS, Inc.
c 1970 Morgan Press, Inc.

Instructions are a 16 page fold out.

Page one is "Instruction Book" with Six of Cups and subtitle Aquarian Tarot Authentic interpretation of
the medieval Tarot.

After the introduction page 2, meanings upright and reverseed, Celtic Cross, and advertisement from Psychic Tarot by Craig Junjulas.

Address for Morgan:

Morgan & Morgan
145 Palisade Stret
Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., 10522

Hope this helps

Cerulean

Rusty Neon

my Morgan-Greer deck (Morgan Press)

Cerulean said:
I have a 1979 Morgan Greer Press in a blue star box, no instruction book.

The only stars on the box are white, next to the word Tarot: i.e., * TAROT *. Box is coloured baby blue.

The instruction booklet that comes with my deck is a 12-page foldout. On the front page, it indicates:

Distributed by
MORGAN & MORGAN, INC.

(c) 1979 Morgan Press, Inc.

As well, I have a single-side-print leaflet announcing the companion book for the Aquarian Tarot deck and the companion book (Psychic Tarot) for the Morgan-Greer, together with a mail-in form offering $2 off. Address shown on form is Morgan & Morgan, Inc., 145 Palisade Street, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. 10522

The box has the two-part lidded box with the Chariot on top in color.

The lid top and bottom says *TAROT*; the right and left says "MORGAN-GREER TAROT".

Bottom box says:

MORGAN-GREER TAROT
Based on the continued
knowledge, wsdom and
interpretation of
Paul Foster Case and
Arthur Edward Waite
-------------------
Full Color 79 Card Tarot deck
with instruction book
describing each card
-------------------
22 Major Archana cards
56 Minor Arcana cards
Swords, Rodes and Pentacles

Illustrated by William Greer
under the direction of Lloyd Morgan

Distributed by
MORGAN & MORGAN, INC>
c1979 Morgan Press, Inc.

That's what my box shows too.

Rusty Neon

My Morgan Press Aquarian Tarot with plain-blue, no-design cardbacks.

Cerulean ... What colour and design are your Aquarian Tarot cardbacks?

Cerulean said:
Fool on top cover of two part box lid.

TAROT on top and bottom, white on black lettering.

AQUARIAN TAROT on sides of top lid

Bottom box lid reads:

Authentic interpretation of
the medieval Tarot

Full color 78 card Tarot deck
with instruction book
describing each card
---

22 Major Arcana cards

56 Minor Arcana cards
Swords, Rods and Pentacles
---

Illustrated by DAVID PALLADINI

Published and Printed by
MORGAN PRESS, Inc.
c 1970 Morgan Press, Inc.

Instructions are a 16 page fold out.

All information matches, except for two things. First, the bottom of the box also shows the name of the deck (Aquarian Tarot). Second, my instruction book is not a fold-out. It's a stapled booklet, consisting of title page, unnumbered Introduction Page, numbered pages 1 to 20, with cards meanings and Celtic Cross. Numbered page 21 is for books by Richard Roberts (Tarot and You), F. Graves (The Windows of Tarot) and the Aquarian deck. Back page is unnumbered. Next to the description of Graves' book is the year indication 1973. Thus, it shows my deck was distributed 1973 or later.

Page one is "Instruction Book" with Six of Cups and subtitle Aquarian Tarot Authentic interpretation of
the medieval Tarot.

After the introduction page 2, meanings upright and reverseed, Celtic Cross, and advertisement from Psychic Tarot by Craig Junjulas.

Address for Morgan:

Morgan & Morgan
145 Palisade Stret
Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., 10522

On both the box bottom and the back page of the booklet, Morgan's is described as:

Published & Printed by
Morgan Press, Inc.
Dobbs Ferry, New York 10522.

On the front of my box, beneath the Fool card is the title of the deck "Aquarian Tarot Deck".

Cerulean ... Is the title "Aquarian Tarot Deck" written on the front of your box?

Rusty Neon

I've just received another Morgan Press Aquarian Tarot deck. This one has backs that are black-coloured with a black/white ouroboros in the middle. No instruction books was included by the vendor in the sale.

Comparing with the box of this deck against the blue-backed Aquarian, I find that the box of this deck has the following differences:

(1) The front of the box doesn't have "Aquarian Tarot Deck" written.

(2) On the back of the box, the words "Authentic interpretation of the medieval Tarot" are in italics.

(3) However, more noteably, Morgan's address on the back of the box is different from the other Morgan's deck specimens described in this thread:

Published & Printed by
MORGAN PRESS, INC.
Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y. 10706.

Cerulean

Morgan and Morgan up to 1985

I'm going to start a thread of the "Original Tarot and You" by Richard Roberts, as his re-published book of 1979 is quite interesting.

He gives in his revised 1987 book a bit of history of his relationship to Morgan and Morgan. His book has been rereleased under the Ibis Press imprint of Nicholas Hays, Inc., formerly from his own imprint of Vernal Equinox Press. (I bought the Ibis rerelease in 2005 from a Borders Bookstore...I had seen it on Amazon.com but wondered about the new revision).

Anyway, the information given on Morgan and Morgan is from 1971-1979 the author Richard Roberts was not given royalties for the book Tarot and You and the 1975 abridged version of his book by Morgan and Morgan was also in dispute until 1981. Morgan and Morgan declared bankruptcy in 1975. In 1981, Richard Roberts was awarded less than a thousand dollars...Morgan & Morgan did issue a book called Psychic Tarot with the Aquarian deck as the cover in 1985 which seemed to follow Richard Robert's original format for his book.

I guess Morgan & Morgan may have had decks/books up to 1985, if I am summarizing the information correctly. As of the 1987 foreword by Richard Roberts, addresses include Hastings-on-Hudson of New York and Dobbs Ferry, New York.

Regards,

Cerulean