Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA study group -- Why does the title have 'SEA'?

Rusty Neon

Why does the title have 'SEA'? What is the significance of the use of the word 'SEA'. Why is that word in all-caps?

I have neither the deck nor the companion book, so I'm at a loss here.

Thanks.

Rainwolf had mentioned this as a possible discussion topic for the study group.

Moonbow

Hi Rusty

I'm delighted to see (sea?!?) that you have joined the Study Group.

I'm picking up this deck and book after a year or so of looking at it and it was that long ago that I read the book, so I will be refreshing my memory as I go.

The book says this:

"The artist and author of the Navigators Tarot of the Mustic SEA, spent many years at sea working in the yacht charter industry and skippering sailing vessels on long passages...In 1988 an amazing escape from certain death in a car wreck encouraged the "Navigator" to ask the universe what might be offered in return for this unfathomable grace..." [hence the deck and book]

The back of the book also says:

"The symbols in the cards represent our hidden voices and give meaning to dreams and visions. Navigating through the mystic sea, you will learn to use symbols to decipher subconscious messages and reach a harmonious balance between your inner self and your outer characteristics."

I am still reading between the lines as to why SEA is in the title, but I suspect that the author decided to draw on an aspect of her life which was very important to her, and said something about her life. Perhaps also comparing her navigating and journey in Tarot (and therefore the making of this deck), to her navigating and journeying on the SEA. This is how I have always understood the title to have come about, but of course the small mention in the book helped me come to this conclusion.

Rusty Neon

Thanks, Moonbow. It's always interesting to find out the deck creator's stated reasons. To me, that's all the first place to look, and I appreciate your help. From what you mention, it looks like the deck creator's personal experiences with the SEA were a big factor.

However, it still makes me wonder if SEA, being spelled in all-caps, is also being used by the deck creator as an acronym for some three-letter word.

The expression "mystic sea" also comes up with many matches on google, not related to Turk's tarot deck. Many boats seem to be called Mystic Sea.

My google search indicates that there is a poem by Digby (Mackworth) Dolben (1848-1867) entitled "A Song of Eighteen" which features the phrase "mystic sea" in the second line of the poem.

Strain them, O winds, the sails of the years,
Outspread on the mystic sea;
Faster and faster, for laughter or tears,
O bear my story to me!
Waft it, O Love, on thy purple wings,
The dawn is breaking to pass:
Strike it, O Life, from thy deeper strings,
And drown the music that was.

Yet lovely the tremulous haze
That curtained the dreamful afar,
Thro' the which some face, like a star,
Would lighten, too sudden for praise.
And white were our loves on their way
As morn on the hills of the south;
The kisses that rounded their mouth
As fresh as the grasses in May.

They passed; but the silvery pain
Of our tears was easily told,--
For the day but an hour was old,
At noon we should meet them again.

Weary am I of ideal and of mist,
The shroud of life that is dead;--
And, as the passionate sculptor who kissed
The lips of marble to red,
Ask I a breath that is part of my own,
Yet drawn from a soul more sweet;--
Or, as the shaft that upsoareth alone
Undiademed, incomplete,
Claim I the glory predestined to me
In the Mother Builder's will,
Portion and place in the Temple to be
Till the age her times fulfil.

I wonder whether the phrase "mystic sea" was in common currency before that poem was written.

As well, "mystic sea" seems to be a phrase used in connection with the planet Neptune. (Quaere whether it was used in connection with the Roman god Neptune / Greek god Poseidon.)

I wonder if the phrase "mystic sea" appears in any metaphysical or esoteric works.

Moonbow

Interesting Rusty,

I wondered myself if the caps were more significant, I don't know anything about the Kaballah (Cabala) which the deck is suposed to be based on, or to be more specific it is "based on the traditional Golden Dawn foundation of the Hermetic Cabala". I'm sure you know more about this then I do.

Are these three letters, then, significant in some way, in the Cabala? Can they be related to the equivalent Hebrew letter or it's numeric value? This is where I am lost, but I may try to do a little research on this.

The poem is wonderful and it's interesting what you say about Mystic Sea being used for the name of boats. I live in a port and Misty, or a variation of it, is used alot for the name of boats, infact I have a friend who called one of his yachts Misty.

The book also, by the way, includes Julia Turks poetry for each card.

A great thread to start with, and I think I may understand more about the deck this time round.

NightWing

Which sea/SEA?

I recall the phrase "mystic sea" from readings many years ago. My understanding of it was that it referred to the human mind generally, and the human imagination more specifically. Thus, "casting forth upon that mystic sea" was to begin exploring one's imagination and inner being more deeply. I have to search though for specific quotes on it. It may originate in ancient Greek writing; I'm thinking probably Homer. We'll see.

As to SEA, I'm baffled right now.

rainwolf

Hey sorry I havent been in this--Ive been gone all day.

I've tried to find a way to contact Mrs. Turk, but an email I sent was unanswered.

I too think that it is an acronym but I will try to contact her again. I don't think it is a simple meaning if it goes along with the rest of her deck. Maybe it is something in latin or a well known phrase disguised in an acronym.

rainwolf

Oh thanks similia!

Here are some i thought were plausible:
South east asia
Sea Echelon Area

Ok maybe those arent a lot but I thought they were good guesses--anyone know where she went exactly on the voyages she mentioned in her book? I only know that she had a near death experience and she had some events which led her to make a deck.

Moonbow

Somehow, I don't think those acronyms are what Julia Turk was thinking of, I think it goes deeper and is probably hidden in the Hebrew alphabet.

But, I read more of the book last night and she definately designed the deck envisioning the querent as being a Navigator through the waters of the unconscious mind, the boat being the physical body and the paddle being the ego.

"As the querent paddles his boat down the river of life, he comes to the Mystic Sea, which contains the ten spheres, or islands. When he crosses the harbor bar between his personal river and the great sea, he traverses the threshold into his inner self..."

He then goes on to learn many things as he sails from island to island on his quest to discover the secret of life.

But.... no mention of why SEA is in caps!! Do you have the book rainwolf?

rainwolf

Yes i still have the book-i read the WHOLE thing and underlined all the symbols from each card! So yeah-i know it quite well. As my economics teacher would say, "ive made love to the book" LOL *cringes*

I remember all of which you have said, adn I wrote (again!) another letter to us games asking for an email to which to contact her, so wish me luck.