Beginner That Needs Help

mike gorth

I've looked through all of the forums but haven't found all I'm looking for. I would really like to know the books you guys got started on. I've tried looking on the internet but it just lists the meanings of the houses and everything. I would like to know how to interpret a chart. Would you recommend taking a class? I've been thinking of it because I'm lost behind the vast amount of info on the subject and I just can't take it all in. Can someone help me?

Mike Gorth

dadsnook2000

Resources

Have you check the various and extensive resources listed at the top of this forum? Dave

Kaylee Marie

I agree, the info I've found on the Internet isn't the greatest. Perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough. So my astrology section of my bookcase is sagging, and I've just about cleaned out Borders' and Barnes & Noble's books on the subject. I'll have to start ordering from Amazon soon. My local library has next to nothing on astrology, and the "new age" shop has even less. :(

One of the first books I was given is The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need. Definitely a misnomer, but it's not a bad place to start. It briefly delineates and defines many of the basics and will aid you in doing a rudimentary chart interpretation. You'll soon find that it only makes you thirsty for more, however. I can't remember the last time I looked at that book.

From there, you'll start acquiring books on more specialized subjects. Mythic Astrology is a good one for understanding the symbology behind the planets and signs. I also liked Sasportas' The 12 Houses. Buddhist Astrology is good too. All very readable and great for the beginner.

The list at the top of the astrology forum has many great titles as well. Hope this helps, Mike!

~Kaylee

mike gorth

Thanks Kaylee,

that doesn't make me feel like such a loner.

I think I've found a couple of books I'm gonna order.

Mike Gorth

lunalafey

Reading a natal chart- to me, is simular to reading a tarot spread.
One takes the information about the sign, the planet, the house it's in and the aspects it makes and there forms what that little section of a chart means.
As for books- I have quite a few; many with much of the same info, but they all have thier individual helpfulness.
The one book I have that gets read & re-read the most is 'A to Z Astological Deliniator' {sp?} by Llewellyn.

mike gorth

Thank you all

wizzle

more resources

The booklist here seems very good. Another good list is at

http://www.findastrologer.com/astrology_books.htm

I found an even better one a few days ago via a google search but can't seem to find it now. One author who gets a consensus from reviewers for "must have" books is Steven Forrest. I don't have any of his books, but am planning on ordering a couple of his titles soon. From the reviews I've read they are good for both beginning and advanced astrologers.

As a side note, don't overlook Abe Books if you want to save a few bucks by buying a used book.

http://www.abebooks.com/

To me they seem more comprehensive and offer better prices than Amazon on used books. All of the used books I've ordered from them have been exactly as described by the seller and arrived promptly.

dadsnook2000

You are sounding desperate

First, I can tell you what I did some three decades ago. I signed up for a course with Jeff Mayo of the Faculty of Astrological Studies in London. This correspondance course was based on his book and that of Margerate Hone. Now, there are US courses you can take, and there are lots of books you can use by themselves. One great series that may be still available is that by Noel Tyl who is a fabulous and inspirational writer. This was a series of 12 paperbacks that covered a portion of astrological learning and practice.

For practical purposes you will want to find more modern books that are easily available in local stores today. You may have to buy several books, one on each topical area, or you may find one or two books that cover most of the topics I am going to list.

Topics of Study:
** The meaning of the planets (without signs or houses or aspects).
** Planets in Signs
** Planets in Houses
** Planets in Aspect
** The natal chart; how its constructed and calculated.
** Basic natal chart interpretation with a couple of examples
** A subscription to the Mountain Astrologer as well as picking up copies of
any paper magazines like Horoscope, etc. These are a little trashy in some cases but they often have columns that answer questions and give chart interpretations.
** Attend seminars, as many as you can.
** Find others who are interested in astrology and start a study group. I did that and ended up with over 20 people who met every week for seven years. Several are well known names today.

You will need to read all of this material, and create some fifty or more charts in the process. After several months you will have a basic understanding of a natal chart. Only after that can you go on to more advanced chart work and start to learn progressions, mid-points, synastry/compatibility, solar and lunar returns and some dozen or so other disciplines. At that point you will know a reasonable amount about astrology, will have cast several hundred charts and interpreted them, and will probably have 100 to 200 books. I'm not trying to overwhelm you, I'm just pointing to a path that many follow and experience to one degree or another. That's why its so hard to find a lot of fully capable astrologers on any Internet list. Once we reach that point we are often engaged in a professional practice or in writing. I choose not to practice. I've got too many other things I am also interested in. But, you will need to do a lot of work IF YOU NEED TO GO THE FULL DISTANCE. You can always stop at any point. Dave.