Papus Spread

Emily

I took this spread from a book called 'The Giant Book of Fortune' - Parragon Publishers. It has no name as far as I could see but it was a spread devised by the occultist Papus so I'm calling it the Papus Spread. I've had a look around the Spread Index and couldn't see if it was already listed in there so I thought I would post it. :)

I had to copy it quickly - but its all here lol. I've found that its good for specific questions and have had some really good results with it.

For a love affair take the Cups (family etc)
For a money matter take the Deniers
For a business undertaking or an enterprise of any kind take the Staves
For a lawsuit, any kind of opposition or struggle take the Swords

Shuffle the taken Suit, without the Majors or the rest of the Minors, Cut 3 times. Deal off the first 4 cards, Lay the spread as shown:-

>>>>.4.>>>>

>.1.>>>>>.3.>

>>>>.2.>>>>

Take the Majors only and shuffle and cut them 3 times. Spread them all out over a table and select 7 cards. Shuffle these 7 cards and deal off the first 3.

Add to the first spread so it looks like this:- (hope you can see how it should look)

>>.I>.>4.>.II.>>

>.1.>.III.>>.3.>

>>>>..2.>>>>>

Minors
1. The beginning of the matter/situation in question.
2. Its climax or culminating point.
3. The obstacles likely to impede/slow its progress
4. The conclusion and result of the matter.

Majors
I. Influences affecting the matter in the past
II. Influences holding sway at the present.
III. Influences that will be useful in the future.

If anyone wants to change the wording of this spread to make it more useable, feel free - I don't think Papus would mind if he knew his spread was still being helpful to people. :)

Lula Jing

Hi Emily,

I have The Complete Book of Fortune (Bracken Books) and I blew the dust off at the weekend and was flipping through when I came upon this exact spread.

I tried it out with very interesting (and accurate) results.

I will definately use this spread again, it doesn't use many cards and you can use it to answer so many different types of question.

I searched the forums before posting and I must admit I was surprised to find that somebody had already posted it - but also glad 'cos it saved me some typing! :D

In my book this spread is described as a 'rapid method of divination' but then it goes on to describe a slightly more complex variation using 12 minors and 7 majors, but I've not tried that one yet.

If anyone would be interested in seeing it, I'll post it here. It's only slightly more complex but even so it would probably suit the more advanced reader.

Shy x

Emily

Hi Shy,

I'd be interested in seeing the other variation of this spread :) - I don't remember seeing it and I don't have the book with me.

I still use this spread for specific questions and I always get good results with it. :) But it looks really complex until the first time you do it and then it all falls into place.

Lula Jing

Papus Spread II

According to my book, the second variation...

Furnishes with great reliability general prognostications upon the inquirer's life and destiny, as well as explicit readings upon the progress and result of any particular circumstance

1] Separate the Major from the Minor, shuffle the minor and cut three times.

2] Deal off the first twelve cards, face upwards and arrange them as follows:

Now shuffle the Majors, cut three times, spread out and choose 7 cards.

The first four are to be placed in the order in which they were chosen, within and close to all four corners of the parallelogram formed by the first twelve cards as shown below:

....11...II....9.....
1..I............III..7
....3....IV....5...

The remaining three majors are then to be placed in the order in which they were chosen, in the middle of the figure, as is shown by V, VI and VII below.

The inquirer's card is placed in the centre; Magician for a man and High Priestess for a woman. (If either of these cards has already appeared it must be removed to the centre, it's vacated position being filled by a Major which the inquirer is asked to choose at random).

The completed figure as follows:

....11...II....9.....
.12..V.......VI....8...
1..I..............III....7
..2......VII........6..
....3....IV....5...

No's 1-3 referring to the past
No's 4,5,6 to the present
No's 7-12 (inclusive) to the future

Majors V, VI and VII will give an indication of the particular character of these three realms of time respectively (PPF).

Major I indicates the Beginning of the life, or the enterprise whose progress and outcome it is desired to determine.

Major II discloses the influences exerted at the Climax, or culminating point, of the career or enterprise in question.

Major III relates to the Obstacles that stand in the way of success or fulfilment, and to the dangers that will have to be guarded against.

Major IV shows the Termination of the life or the ultimate issue of the enterprise.

Good luck any readers who try it!! I'd be interested to know how it goes.

Shy :)

Dolphin_Dreamer

Interesting...
I have the book 'Tarot in 10 minutes' and it uses similar method of dividing of the cards, but you lay it in the cc and of course they have thier own interps listed... I'd like to try this method

Thanks

Emily

Hi Shy,

The other version does look interesting - I'll give it a try later on. :)