Sabian Symbols: Draws (other than daily or weekly)

Skydancer

I'm afraid I don't know much about the symbols and astrology -- would ya believe?! I just like the images the "symbol sentences" conjurs up!!

Ah-HA! I have a new phrase; Sabian Symbol Sentences!! or S³ :)

My draw for this morning is Scorpio 19 -- a parrot listens then says the conversation that he has overheard. (slight paraphrasing)
If I understand this correctly - it will be moving into the next sign? Scorpio 20?

Which is - a woman draws aside 2 dark curtains that have been covering a secret pathway.

Well - don't know if the one is to move into the other .... but for me, today, that was a great thing to hear. I'll take it!!

*S*

[edited to add] Okay, guess I should have said what this means to me. For right now, anyway.

It means to me, based on part of the discription that Lynda wrote, that the parrot is getting information from a spiritual plane, then telling others what he has heard. It can mean other things too, but that's the one I'm taking right now.
Then - moving into uncovering a sacred pathway - well, that is just so obvious to me that I don't know what to say about it. Adventure - peering through - curious - what lies beyond - is anybody watching? - is anybody there?

I like it! I'm going to use these as my springboard for today's activities.

Elven

Hey Skydancer!! Hi All,

That sounds like a good day for you Skydancer!!! I hope you have a good one!
Let us know how it turns out in relation to the Symbol!:)

I was thinking about the visual image that you get when you draw a Symbol and see the Heading or Title to the Symbol and sometimes my mind draws blank. I get a definate impression - as in what I 'see' - but I sometimes cannot link it to a meaning. If this happens I instead look at the words from the text that stand out. Some are really strong! The grouping of standout words often give me a very strong image. So sometimes I prefer to go with my word association instead of the visual association. It works for me when I'm not very creative and vibrant.

I decided to pull a draw for the week, as I have not been able to do much lately because I have been housebound and I have been feeling so under the weather. I am feeling a bit better and look forward to being a little more active this week.
I asked the Symbols 'What will I need to know about this week'?

I drew Leo Degree 6: An Old Fashioned Conservative Woman is Confronted by an Up-to-Date Girl
Oh! I hope this is me 'coming out' of my shell this week. Hibernation is very boring and isolating. I need to get out and about and do some confronting! It might be just some mundane jobs and paperwork that need attention, and it might be the way in which I approach my agenda. Then again, I am conservative and may need to be a little more open to the people I meet and some new ideas. It could be a 'yes' week instead of a 'no' week. I may also put a bit of time and care into myself as well. Look after the poor ol' body a bit which has been neglected of late. I will endevour to dress with some bright colours and get out in the fresh air.
It may also reflect how I feel cleaning out my junk. I am often confronted with 'should I keep things from my past (youth), or should I throw them away (outdated). Craft projects that I have had for years that I need to finish or get rid of. They were a good idea at the time (LOL).
This Symbol I think also challenges me to look at where I am am going, and what I am planning on doing. Age and maturity.Time is also of the essence - on a personal level. Sometimes I feel as if I'm running out of time, or time moves quickly and I am moving slowly. Maybe I need to compromise and get things happening and life will generously give me the time to do it in (LOL).

I also thought that I am trying to work out a new spread for the Symbols - maybe I should just relax about it and throw away my conservative approach and tackle it from a zany angle. I'll give it a go - it could be any worst as I am stuck in an old way of thinking about it.

I'll take notice of how this Symbol evolves with me during this week!:)

Many blessings to all
Elven x

Elven

Libra Degree 20

Hi All, just thought I'd put a post in as I was sitting at my desk. I wasnt really thinking of anything just studying and this is what came up.

Libra 20: A Jewish Rabbi in a Tiny Room Full Of Manuscripts and Books, Performing His Duty.

This Symbol spoke to me in the moment - since of was sitting there trying to work out the Souls Journey reading Seth and Jane Roberts.

The commentary spoke of the Rabbi in a constant state of learning, interpreting and reinterpreting texts. His learning helps him translate and understand the teachings and give them to the community he represents. The Symbol speaks of understanding the basis of the teachings - the root foundations and knowledge of the history and society which the texts represent. It reminded me also to have some grounding with the knowledge and in the wisdom, but be open to new ideas and how I apply these learnings to my daily life.

The Oracle advises - through interpretation - to become aware of the traditional established traditions and initiations, see how they relate and transfer to the world today. Some things may need adapting without loosing their potency, so new learning and teaching methods may need to be incorporated to transfer the wisdom successfully. Sometimes this attention to new methods maybe resisted or hard to comprehend or even ignored - all in the too hard basket, but they can help to keep me motivated in times when I have to perform 'My Duties' or conform to social functioning.

The keywords mentioned: Connection with ancient sources of truth and understanding. Book work, Studying and writings.

The Caution mentions: Following the rules of the book.

So not only did the Symbol relate well to what I was reading and doing but it also made me think of a the Symbols themselves and the source of knowledge from which they come, what I am learning from them, how I am doing this - the process, and how I should communicate and apply the wisdom that I am translating. I always feel like a student when I work with them, eager for knowledge but hesitant to feel as if I know how to interpret them at all. I try to respect what I have access to through them. I thought long and hard about this.

It aslo relates to a meditation I recently had and have been re-accessing lately to try and get in touch with my Past Life wisdom and knowledge. It is very close to this Symbol. The description of the 'Tiny Room' was perfect.

My meditation consisted of me going to a huge, massive library. The attendant knew me well, and greeted me as an old friend. He was alien. He was very happy to see me, and I admired his purple robe. He led me to the back of the library where, with a large key, opened a small door into a round stairwell. We walked to the top of the spiral stairs, which were very high, until we came to a tiny room where there was a table with a candle on it, and a wooden chair. Around the walls of the tiny round room where books on shelves. I looked up and the books went on until they were swallowed by the darkness of the roof, many feet above.
He said 'This is your room. You can come here when ever you want. Here is the key to the door. No one will disturb you. Welcome back'! With this he took my shoulders and held them. He then disappeared down the stairwell back to the attendants desk.
I stood for a long time looking out of the window in the room, over the other red tiled roof tops of the tiny medieval village. I could see rolling green hills and a clear blue beautiful sky. I returned to the table and looked around the room. I chose a book, opened it and sat down and began to read.

Just some thoughts, thanks for allowing me to share

Many blessings
Elven x

Pipistrelle

Elven - what a wonderful post :) I hope your creativity begins to flow like water from an easy-to-turn, unleaky tap down an unblocked sink! (I too missed the garbage truck last week...my cat thinks it's very amusing to sample what's in all those bags. Fortunately, today is garbage day so I'll get to do some clearing out.)

The other day I posted the symbol I'd drawn (I think it was Friday or Saturday): Aries 26 - A Man Possessed of More Gifts Than He Can Hold. I just couldn't work out what that symbol was trying to tell me. Why, when I'd only just started on my journey of exploration, was it telling me to give things up? Surely I should be exploring everything I encounter, not picking and choosing and rejecting things already?

Then, on Sunday (which was a horribly itch day), I realised: explorers need to travel light. (Although, I have to say here, not all do, but they pay the price: "When the corpses of some of Franklin's officers and crew were later discovered, miles from their ships, the men were found to have left behind their guns but to have lugged such essentials as monogrammed silver cutlery, a backgammon board, a cigar case, a clothes brush, a tin of button polish, and a copy of The Vicar of Wakefield. These men may have been incompetent bunglers, but, by God, they were gentlemen." - From Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman.)

The truth is, I'm such a romantic that I would rather be the unfortunate Captain Scott than the efficient and successful Roald Amundsen. Amundsen reached the South Pole quicker, but the story of Scott is much more interesting. Anyway, back to my point... ;)

So explorers have to travel light. And I remembered that one of the things I've been wanting to do lately is get rid of all the old books that are clogging up my bookcases and which aren't really relevant to me anymore and replace them with the ones I've bought over the last year or so, which are currently arranged in various small piles in inconvenient places around the house. It seems a small thing, but I think it would make a big difference - to have the books I most want to refer to where I can find them. I haven't done it yet but I intend to this week. It feels like it is a symbolic gesture, like you described, a physical manifestation of psychological/emotional baggage perhaps? Most of those old books clogging my shelves are ones I bought and didn't read, realising later that they weren't "my type of books". To get rid of them (or put them in storage, or give them to charity) would be to free myself from past failures, uncompleted tasks and the guilt of never finishing them. I'm on a new journey now and, as such, should not allow myself to be weighed down by failed expeditions of the past!

Your post has just confirmed that this is quite an important step and should be something that I definitely do instead of keep putting off.

Pip

Sophie

Pipistrelle said:
So explorers have to travel light. And I remembered that one of the things I've been wanting to do lately is get rid of all the old books that are clogging up my bookcases and which aren't really relevant to me anymore and replace them with the ones I've bought over the last year or so, which are currently arranged in various small piles in inconvenient places around the house. It seems a small thing, but I think it would make a big difference - to have the books I most want to refer to where I can find them. I haven't done it yet but I intend to this week. It feels like it is a symbolic gesture, like you described, a physical manifestation of psychological/emotional baggage perhaps? Most of those old books clogging my shelves are ones I bought and didn't read, realising later that they weren't "my type of books". To get rid of them (or put them in storage, or give them to charity) would be to free myself from past failures, uncompleted tasks and the guilt of never finishing them. I'm on a new journey now and, as such, should not allow myself to be weighed down by failed expeditions of the past!

Yes, explorers do need to travel light...

I have trouble getting rid of books I haven't read. I keep thinking - I'll get to them one day. And the truth is, sometimes I do, but often I don't. But what if I give or sell a book that would have "changed my life"? I waited three years before reading the Proust on my bookshelves, but once I did I couldn't stop. What if, after two years, I'd given his books away? What is the time limit? I don't think exploring is always linear. It is often circular, or a spiral. At any one time we might be at one place, far away from where we were a year ago - yet we might revisit that year-ago place in the future. It is never the same: as Heraclitus wrote, you never go into the same river twice.

I think there are maturation times for reading books; gestation. Some gestations never give birth, and we don't read that book, ever. But some do. How to tell the difference?

Sigh. I must also make some room in my bookcases, or buy another bookcase.

I asked the Sabian Symbols what they thought of that dilemma.

Taurus 30 - A Peacock Parading On the Terrace of An Old Castle.

Beware not keeping books - belongings in general - just for parade (to oneself as well as to others). Beware the books that have shiny covers but not much substance, or a strident cry. Yet, value the old and the venerable. Value grace and beauty, which is enhanced by time and care. Beauty that is "skin deep" also has its place, colouring our lives. Old castles, like old books, have become the democratic heritage of all.

So perhaps the message is - don't throw away books that are old, beautiful and venerable (Proust), or simply beautiful; but modern books that were a passing fancy, appear to have more style than substance, were written as part of a fashion (including a spiritual fashion), and are not feeding us, can be disposed of...?

Pipistrelle

I know what you mean...I think I would be loathe to get rid of any books altogether - even though it seems a waste of their existence to just box them up and hide them in a cupboard (surely someone ought to read them!) But you never know when you're going to want that one book, and where did I put it...oh, that's right. I got rid of it. :(
Of course, this rearrangement of my extensive collection is only temporary until we move to a new house...one with an extra room to be a library ;)

Maybe the peacock is advising...don't just admire the pretty covers - delve in! There's interesting stuff in that there old castle if you can force yourself to look beyond the pretty bird (and my, peacocks are pretty!)

Anyway, I feel I may have distracted us from the matter at hand, so I have another question. Has anyone used the symbols in any way other than as an oracle and, if so, how? I long to do something else with them!

Pip

zorya

Pipistrelle said:
Anyway, I feel I may have distracted us from the matter at hand, so I have another question. Has anyone used the symbols in any way other than as an oracle and, if so, how? I long to do something else with them!

Pip
hi pipistrelle,
lynda has replied to your question, but as it was a new topic, i moved it to the 'Sabian Symbols: Birth Charts' thread.

you may find lynda's reply to your question by clicking here; http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=525008&postcount=7

sorry for any confusion,
zorya

Elven

Hi All, 'tis Elven :)

This is the best place for me to be on the stroke of 4am on July the 15th writing a significant post for myself and reflecting on the past 4 months.

I am sitting listening to the early morning trains go past, the wind rattle my windows and the World News. Here in this solitude allows me, once again, the time to think, grab the Symbols and just see what they have to say :)

Aries 18: An Empty Hammock Hangs Between Two Lovely Trees.

LOL!! :D - This is a great symbol - its telling me I should be in bed asleep, enjoying the rest and recouperation I need and deserve. It is about just lying back and thinking about the past (LOL)!! taking time out - even a holiday!
To take the time to dream and reflect!

Sounds perfect to me - bring on the Pina-Coladas, the grapes, and a good looking palmleaf waver!! (Tomorrow when the suns out - its a bit chilly right now and still dark! :))

Blessings
Elven x